Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old    nooner            12-20-2004, 2:20 PM Reply   
I got a couple of sets of Speaker cans off ebay. Where are you guys getting the wire connectors to bolt to the cans? The ones for the speaker wires? I went to Radio shack, Best Buy, Lowes, and two stereo places.. no luck. The stereo shops just recommend running the wires through and silicone it. Thanks in advance Luis
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-20-2004, 2:55 PM Reply   
Don't just run the wire thru, bad idea. You can find all the connectors you want on www.partsexpress.com and radio shack should have them also. They are in a little bin in the back of the store.
Old    nooner            12-20-2004, 7:48 PM Reply   
awesome..I just found them on that website.. Thanks a bunch!
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-20-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
I know for a fact that Radio Shack has them... i got them for my speaker cans from Raul. You will most likely have to ask the people that work there. they were in a metal cabinet with "specialty connectors" at the location i got them from. I think they were $5 for a pair, one black (-) and one red(+) terminal. I used expanding foam to mount crossover in the can and then used spray dynamat in the interior of the can. They sound great with a quality speaker.. i used MB Quart RKC116's (last years model).
Old    nooner            12-21-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
I just checked out Radioshack.com They have them there. Wonder the chick working there didnt know anything about them. I guess I will try a different radioshack today.. Thanks for the info Biz. I just happen to have some of that foam in my garage.. The stuff you DONT get on your hands..or else! Did you put any polyfil in your cans or just the spray dynamat? Also did you dynamat before you glued down the crossover or after? Thanks for the help guys.. I have some MB quarts RCE 216 that are supposed to show up tomorrow at my door step...
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-21-2004, 3:23 PM Reply   
Here is what i did and it is holding up great... I marked the mounting holes with a punch (a pencil should also work) with the speakers resting in the can... make sure the grills will be straight. Then remove the speaker and use a drill bit a little smaller than the screws you will be using. After drilling the holes screw the screws in without the speakers in place, you don't want to poke a hole in the speaker by accident. AFter that is done you can mount the x-over, NOTE; make sure you mount the x-over on the bottom of the inside of the can, it will be happier there... not falling from the force of gravity, especially during double ups or rough water! I roughed up the inside or the can with 40 grit sandpaper so the foam has a good, clean place to adhere to. let the foam dry, you can trim it up if you like. AFter the foam is dry you can then mount the connectors and hook up wires inside the can, then you can use Spray dynamat on the inside. I taped the edges of the can to keep the Dynamat on the inside of the can, you will get some overspray so be careful. Let the dynamat fully cure! a day or two should do it, don't rush the job. After the dynamat is cured you can put polyfil in the cans and then install speakers. And yes i did put polyfil in my speaker cans and did help with midbass response. I am running a PPI 480 and they scream. You will be happy!
Old    nooner            12-21-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
PERFECT...thanks for the info.. I will do just that..