Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-22-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Over the course of the last year I've had a pretty regular problem with my tower speakers (1 pr of 6.5" Infinity Kappa Perfects) - when biased equally to the boat and tower all the speakers will cut off except for the sub. You can bias the head unit all the way to the boat speakers and it will never cut out.

Thinking it was an amp issue I purchased a new PPI PCX480 amp (160/4ch @ 2ohm) and tried it. The same thing happened (sounds like CD is skipping but sub still hits). I looked at the power light on the PPI and it flickers between green and no color. Again though if head unit is biased to the boat it will run all day.

Thinking it is in the wiring I replaced all the wiring with the correct sizes (the last install the guy used 10ga to power the amps). Last nite I put everything together and tried the system with the tower speakers sitting on my bimini. They ran w/o problem for 20mins. Upon trying to put the speakers back in the cans (stock aluminum MC cans) the speakers begin to pop and then cut off completely (same as before). When the speakers are pulled out the system goes back to working.

I checked all connections on the speaker and crossover and they are all tight. I can't visibly see where anything is touching to cause the speaker to short/ground. It does this the same regardless of which tower speaker I try.

I honestly don't have any ideas what may be causing this.....help please!!!
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2004, 9:07 AM Reply   
the speaker wire inside the tower may be shorting out.it may be nicked where it comes out of the tower.
Old    whitechocolate            07-22-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Do you have DYNAMATT on the inside of the cans.
Dynamatt has a metal top sheet above a rubber matt. Your speaker wires can be grounding out on the Dynamatt and when you attach the cans to the tower you can get a ground or short. This happend to me. I didnt know why my tower sounded funny? till I had wet hands and touched my cans and got a good shock. The speaker leeds that cam threw the cans were ground out on the metal dynamatt
lesson learned
Old    whitechocolate            07-22-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
Do you have DYNAMATT on the inside of the cans.
Dynamatt has a metal top sheet above a rubber matt. Your speaker wires can be grounding out on the Dynamatt and when you attach the cans to the tower you can get a ground or short. This happend to me. I didnt know why my tower sounded funny? till I had wet hands and touched my speaker cans and got a good shock. The speaker leeds that came threw the cans were ground out on the metal dynamatt lesson learned
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       07-22-2004, 12:31 PM Reply   
Grant,i see you are still having problems from the "Good shock".m.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-22-2004, 12:34 PM Reply   
No I don't have Dynamat on the inside of the cans. My only thought is that maybe my tower light were is cut a bit and is running voltage thru my tower - I'm gonna check that this afternoon.

Other than that????
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-22-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
Could also be voice coils shorting to the speaker frames. Do you have a multi-meter, if no buy a cheap one. If yes, mount the speakers and start checking for shorts to the tower. Leave the grills off and push on each cone while watching the meter.

You might need to make lexan isolation rings for the speakers since you have a couple different voltage potentials floating through your tower.
Old    whitechocolate            07-22-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
michale : LOL Shock Therapy, I still have the twiches. HAHHAHAH