Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    star_star            10-22-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
i lost my wet suits by loaning them out and now can't find them. what a dufus. anyway, where should i look for a decent wetsuit/shortie and who might have them on sale now? thanks.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       10-22-2010, 12:59 PM Reply   
Hands down I believe the best shorty is the Hyperflex Amp longsleeve shorty. It's a chest zip shorty with taped seams (most shorty suits are flatlock seams that leak water instantly). It's also a 2.5mm shorty where as most others are 2/1. I like the chest zip because it doesn't restrict movement like the back zipper and the chest zip does not leak water like the back zip does. I've been wearing mine the last 3 times out and been warm it in. I believe I paid $129. Hyperflex also has the Amp in the fullsuit as well. I got mine through Jacks Surf Shop online. Wetsuitwearhouse.com has them and lots of people like the fast shipping and return policy. I would stay away from "cheap" wetsuits and I would only use a taped/glued seam wetsuit...NEVER a flatlock seam suit.

Last edited by you_da_man; 10-22-2010 at 1:01 PM.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-22-2010, 3:14 PM Reply   
I just picked up the Hyperflex Amp LS shorty at seshday.com for $79. The Hyperflex stuff is no longer on their site and I havent gotten it yet, but will let you know how I like it.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-23-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
I just bought a new wetsuit setup, but went with a different approach for more versatility. I bought 3mm john suit bottoms (a full suit with no sleeves) and then a 2mm heater top. When worn together I'm getting 3mm on my legs, 5 mm on my torso, and 2 mm on my arms. On warmer days I can just wear the top. I also have some 2mm shorts that I can mix in there as well depending on temperature.

Shorts were $20 (bought a few years ago similar to these) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ATOMIC-2MM-N...item5adcd0c97a
John suit was $65 http://www.pleasuresports.com/3mm-2-...it-bottom.html
Heater top was $50 with 10% off coupon code http://www.hansensurf.com/Billabong-...ve-Jacket.html

This setup totals out to $135, but I think the versatility is worth the extra $$$.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-23-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
Star Star..... from experience selling....price will vary by fit and features. There are basically two types of construction....FLAT LOCK Stitch and GBS-Glued and Blind Stitched. Heres an overview of them.
FLAT LOCK: PROS: Strong, flat, and interlocking for strength.........CONS: Allows more water in right away...allows water to circulate a bit more = less warmth.
GBS: PROS: seams are sealed and do not allow water in = MUCH MORE Warmth. Jump in and almost no water comes in. CONS: Costs more.

Most price point suits are Flat lock.....and material they are made out of has less stretch. Less stretch means more work....typically not as good of a fit.

That said, the more "cuts" in a suit...the more the suits will cost....as well as materials used...and then the type of stitching.

It all boils down to your wallet and level of comfort you want.
We primarily carry Oneill in the shop...mainly because of the quality and fit of the suits. Over the past 20 years...we've tried virtually every line...and hands down we have had the best luck fitting Oneill. That said, there are lots of good brands....but try them on. Every brand fits differently.

As for pricing....In Spring Suits...I can give you Oneills lineup we carry:
http://www.perfski.com/wetsuits/spring-suits
Reactor Spring: Flatlock 70% stretch material. Good basic fit. Price Point: $69.95
Hammer Spring: 100% stretch material, better neck fit, Flat lock.
Hammer Long Sleeve Spring: Same as above with Long Sleeves.
Gooru GBS Short Sleeve Spring: All Gooru Superstretch Rubber, more cuts = better fit. GBS construction = more warmth...but more $$ c/o from $89 to $159
Gooru GBS LS Spring: Long Sleeve version of above. The warmest most comfortable spring suit around....we sell LOTS of these despite the price. Alot of
people don't want to go to a fullsuit...and use this as an alternative. Expensive...but for alot worth it.

Just some ideas...good luck with your search....and again, if you are buying closeout / off price suits that you don't know the brand...TRY THEM ON!!!
On the major players like Oneill....use their size chart with confidence...its time tested. Keys for spring suit is height, weight, and chest measurement.

Good luck.

Bill @ Performance.
www.perfski.com
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-23-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
^^^ that is probably the best summary you could have asked for. Agree 100%.

The one thing I would add is that glued seams can crack. I have never had that problem myself but have heard it from others. Although those issues can often be warrantied.
Old     (perfski)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-24-2010, 7:07 AM Reply   
On seams cracking....we do see that ocassionally, but mainly on suits that are older or have a lot of use. That said, part of the cost of any suit is that you are also buying into the "company". So that if you have problems...they will be there / be able to try and resolve them. Oneill for instance is not the cheapest, but when you have issues, they are able / capable to resolve-repair them.

For some, this is important...others..not. But ultimately their suits fit great, look great, and work great, and thats why people seem to buy them.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-24-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
I got a new Hyperflex Cyclone GBS 4/3 mm for $80, best investment I have ever made. It fits really good and works even better. I have not seen it sold anywhere for that cheap but you can get them for $100-130. I live in Minnesota, and only have need for a heater top and this wetsuit. I just rode Oct. 22 and the water temp is in the 50's but I did not get cold at all, just tried to keep my hands out of the water. No doubt O'neill's are great wetsuits, but I could not afford to pay that much for a 4/3 mm. My friend had a Oneill 3/2 mm that he bought at Wake Nation for $100. I wore once and it was really nice, but it got stolen.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-25-2010, 11:09 AM Reply   
When it comes to wetsuits I believe you have to try them on first. You don't want to order the wrong size when it works best skin tight. With wetsuits they are something that you get what you pay for. I spent $400 last year on my Oneill psycho 3/2 but it has all the best features my past ones lacked. I can ride every month of the year here in Houston in my fullsuit and the suit is completely sealed and I actually stay fairly dry inside.
Old     (cbkaboom)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-27-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Agree with Eric....Hyperflex GBS 4/3 mm....super cheap investment and has been incredible! Check out wetsuit warehouse online...they've got a bunch of write ups on there that are pretty helpful and usually have a bunch of fairly cheap suits.

If you're looking to spend a bit more money I'd definitely say go with one of the LS oneill spring suits.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-27-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
why even be remotely cold?? drysuits are much more comfortable
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-28-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
I have a Oneill Boost drysuit that I used to use all the time in the spring/fall and for pulling docks and lifts out in Michigan. You can't beat the drysuit for throwing it on quickly and taking it off in the boat after a set. You can even wear your warm clothes under the drysuit like a sweat shirt.

2 years ago I bought a Oneill 4/3 Phsyco 2 for cold water kiteboarding and now I never use the drysuit. The 4/3 is HANDS DOWN warmer than the drysuit because the drysuit is super thin which means you still feel the cold water even though your not wet. (similar to being in a refrigerator.) After taking lots of lifts and docks out in the fall. I'd find myself freezing in a drysuit and way more comfortable in the wetsuit.

Drysuits work great for extremely short runs but you cant beat a high end quality wetsuit. the key is investing in a 4/3 GBS wetsuit that is rated for the colder temps and has the quality neoprene for movement. sometimes I'll take a set in my 4/3 and come out completely dry!
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-28-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
I just bought a Billabong 5/4/3mm on www.wetsuitewarehouse.com for $175 and it came with a free hood. They have anything you can possibly think of.