Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
I noticed that my trailer was riding a little low in the front so I decided to go from a 2" rise to a 3 1/4" rise receiver. The old receiver was rated at 6,000 lbs but the new one is only rated at 5,000 lbs. I'm pretty sure that my boat and trailer combo weigh more than 5,000 lbs. Is there another company besides Reese that makes a heavier duty receiver??? I wasn't planning on spending $200 for one of those adjustable ones.

Boat is a Tige RZ2 (3,900+ lbs) and the trailer is an EZ Loader Illusion trailer (weight unknown).
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-18-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
Your trailer weighs around 1100#, probably 1200# with that spare tire. So your over 5k without gas in the tank. I would run at an angle ahead of being marginal on the receiver.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
I really need to go more though...I guess for tomorrow I can throw the 2" back on for safety and then maybe order the proper one. I don't think 90 miles of towing with the an angle would be as bad as having the receiver fail!
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-18-2007, 8:06 PM Reply   
I know you don't want to but throw out the dough and go with an adjustable. I'm very pleased with mine and can honestly say it was worth the extra cash.
Old     (xpjim1)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
Check RV stores. I have a solid aluminum reciever that is rated for 10,000#. Had a hard time finding a ball rated at 7000# as my 24V loaded with trailer is over 6000#
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
thanks! I didn't think about an RV Store!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-18-2007, 9:53 PM Reply   
Isn't it OK to have a very slight tilt forward on the trailer? I thought I read something awhile ago that said it helps with swaying or something opposed to having it perfectly level...
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-18-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
It is ok to have a slight tilt, even says so on the receiver instructions. It's a little more than slight in my case. It will be really bad once I load the Avalanche down with people and gear though.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-21-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
I am confused as to exactly what it is you are considering changing.

The "receiver" is the part of the hitch that is bolted to the tow vehicle. You might change that if it was not rated for the weight that you were towing, but there is no need to change it for adjusting the hitch height.

It is the "ball mount" "draw bar" that slides into the receiver. These are relatively inexpensive and are availble in a wide variety of lifts/drops to get the ball height to the proper level.

It is important to tow with the tongue at the proper level, especially on a tandem axle trailer. If the tongue is too low then the front wheels of the trailer end up carrying more of the load, and vice versa with the rear if the tongue is too high.

In addition, if the tongue is too low you risk dragging the hitch when you enter driveways, or if it is too high it will be the prop guard in the back that is likely to drag.

Rod
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-21-2007, 1:25 PM Reply   
Draw bar is the "technical term" for what I am changing. I don't have to worry about dragging anything no matter what I use - the trailer sits really high up. I have a stock height 4x4 Avalanche with a little taller tire (305/50/20) and I need the draw bar to have more rise due to the height of this trailer (20" wheels on it") but also need a higher towing capacity on the draw bar than the 5,000lbs that most stores carry.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-21-2007, 6:04 PM Reply   
You will find "draw bars" with different weight capacities. The RV store is good but the mark ups are insane. Find a local Fulton dealer (they will have other brands as well), usually at an after-market trailer supplier (they supply to the RV stores and trailer manufacturers). Most "draw bars" are hollow, you can find ones that are solid and have a much higher capacity.
Old     (superairdawg)      Join Date: May 2003       05-22-2007, 5:50 AM Reply   
From context I'd assume he's referring to the ball mount drop -- going from a 2" drop to 3"+ drop. At least for the standard mounts it appears the larger the drop the less overall capacity they tend to have. There may be some one piece units (aluminum?) that you wouldn't lose capacity with going to a larger drop.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
wow 100lbs for a spare tire. man must be a deisel duallie wheel LOL
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-26-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
check for a ball with a raise on it. you can find them at most rv stores.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-26-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
I was able to find a "draw bar" that fit my needs. Thanks for the help everyone.

100lbs for a spare, it's not that much but I bet it's close to 65/70 lbs being a 20 incher and all.
Old     (riverdave)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
Don't be cheap on safety items.. Plus add a little more Bling to your program. Incidentally these are nice, becuaes in parking lot situations when someone backs into your truck they'll hit the hitch 1st if you leave it on all the time.

A few years back I parked my truck downtown and came back in time to see some drunk passed out in his car, with my truck hitch planted firmly in his hood. LOL

http://www.hitchsolutions.com/

RD