Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-04-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
I know that when I was looking for ideas and the sort when planning my boathouse that information was very limited. With that in mind ours is underway and figured that I would post up some pics and kinda photo doc the progress for anyone looking for some info or ideas.

First set, platform structure in and trex starting to go on...

Upload

Upload

The person on there provides a little better perspective as to size etc...
Upload

Upload
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       12-04-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
did you set the pilings yourself? or whatever the vertical supports are called... How did you do it?
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-04-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
I did not do them myself. The const guys used an air driver to pound them in. The ones in the far right corner went down 32' before they hit solid ground...
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-04-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
two things I notices on yours that I would change on mine. More shaded area and a wider area on the "small" side of the deck. Looks great though. Just curious, what do you expect the final cost to be?
Old     (malibu_monkey)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-04-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
New place at Hyco eh? Looking good
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-04-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
was that 32 feet down. where did they get lumber that long or did they put a couple together?
Are you doing the rest of the work?
Looks nice. post more pics later of the progress
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-04-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
Adam, I thought about more space on the far side of the boat but the thing is so big to begin with I figured that 4' should be ok. As for shaded area the area where those sheets of plywood are will be a storage closet and the left front will be a big screened in porch...

All said and done with log siding to match the house, lift electrical, lights fans blah blah blah we are in the neighborhood of 40k.

Cl, the long pieces that hold up the boat are staggered 4x4's bolted together to make a 8x8. That is how they get them so long...
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-05-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
Staggered 4x4's would get you 4x8 unless you are bolting 4 together to make a square. Nice looking dock though!

Eric
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-05-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
They are ^^^^... 4 together to make a 8x8 square.
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-06-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
Cool...can't really tell from the photo's. Hyco still warm? We are thinking about coming in for the Easter ride in 07.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-08-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
Latest Progress...

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       12-08-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
Looks good! When you said boathouse, you meant a boat"HOUSE". I was thinking it was the Carolinas from the first picture. My in-laws live on Lake Wylie and it looks the same.

You might want to check out Adam Curtis' thread on his boathouse before you install a lift. There is a way to mount it so you can still tuck the tower up into the rafters. I installed my lift 12 years ago before towers, and the pipe that the cable wraps around is directly above the boat. It limits how high I can raise my boat with the tower up.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-18-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Latest Updated pix... Getting closer even though it is December

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-18-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
Looks liek yrou making great progress. Antoher quick question. Why did you decide to go with the joists being flush with the beams fro the deck frame as opposed to joists being on top of the beams? Did you use joist hangars? did you use 2x6's and 2x8's for the joists/beams?

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on December 18, 2006)
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-18-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
The beams that you are seeing that basically comprise a rectangle tieing in the main support posts for the lift are doubled 2x8's that are flushed into the first half of the 8x8 that makes up the support post and attached with large carrige bolts. We did this as structural integrity of this is greater that if they were fastened on top of the posts.

Does that answer your question? Not sure if I was following what you were asking...

We're getting there. Should be close to wrapping up this week but them I need to get in and run cat-5 to it and do all the "upgrades" etc. We'll be ready to rock come March when I plan to drop the boat in!

(Message edited by zo1 on December 18, 2006)