Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Tripj3)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-10-2012, 8:14 PM Reply   
Have 3 kids who are starting to ski and will eventually wakeboard. Looking at a 01 supra legacy or 99 mastercraft prostar The supra is very clean but I hear mixed on them. Mastercraft seems to get the most accolades. Should I be afraid of the supra? HELP

JIM
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-11-2012, 6:09 AM Reply   
I wouldn't be. I have seen just as many older Mastercrafts looking rough as any other boat company. I wouldn't even let the brand play in the decision. By whichever boat gives you the most bang for your buck, is in the best condition, and fits your family the best.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-11-2012, 6:50 AM Reply   
What model prostar?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-11-2012, 6:56 AM Reply   
I would really spend time seeing which one was taken the best care of. Supra has always made a great boat. bottom line is I would be more concerned about how each one was cared for versus the brand when you are looking at a 12 year old boat. You might also jump on the forums at www.supraboats.com and ask around there. There are many guys on there that own older Supra's and probably know the Legacy real well.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2012, 8:17 AM Reply   
I think you should take a quick step back and explore all the options.

It sounds like you are going to be using it for skiing at first? Are you a skier or is that just what the kids are learning on? How serious of a skier are you? What boats are you use to skiing behind? Are you trying to run the course at 34 mph and 28 off or jsut out for an occassional ski? How do you plan on using the boat in the future?

Do you boat somewhere where there is rough water and/or concerns abotu having a low profile boat? I bring this ups because if the supra legacy is the open bow version of the comp it has a really low bow and can easily scoop up water.

How many people will go out on the boat on a normal day on the water? How many people max?

Do you have any size or weight restrictions(tow vehicle, garage, size restriction on your lake)?

What is your price range? Guessing by the 2 boats you mentioned I am guessing 15kish?

What part of the country do you live in?
Old     (Tripj3)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-11-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
Regular recreational skier
Have three Kids 7,9 & 10
Will be on small lake 7 miles of shore
Have Bennington pontoon so this is a tow boat. 5-7 people on the boat
Looking to spend less than 20k
Kids will likely want to wakeboard but for now skiing and tubing will do
Lake is just south of buffalo ny -Rushford lake

Jim
Old     (Tripj3)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-11-2012, 5:33 PM Reply   
Was looking at a mastercraft prostar 190
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-11-2012, 5:40 PM Reply   
Your really going to want an open bow if you can swing it. Closed bows get small really fast. Keep in mind once you hook a tow rope to the ski pylon its a 3 person boat. One in the drivers seat and 2 tight together on the observers seat. No one can use the backseat because of the rope swinging back and forth.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-11-2012, 6:13 PM Reply   
Like Todd said the Prostar 190 will get small really fast. The supra appears to be an open bow and a much bigger boat. I wouldn't at all be worried about the supra in general. Like others mentioned you are better off comparing how the individual boats look to be maintained. Other boats I would look at are Malibu sunsetter LX, sport nautiques, mastercraft 205 and maybe the supra sunsport although the ski wake might be pretty terrible. All those boats are in the 20-21' range, open bow and are very skiable. At the upper end of the 20k mark you may be able to find a malibu response LX or LXi, air nautique direct drive, malibu sunsetter LXi(sunsetter with ski hull)
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-11-2012, 7:37 PM Reply   
open your boat options, there are many great boats that are not either. try and pick a boat that can give you growth with both skiing and boarding. i think you can find better options with newer boats and more room. good luck
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-11-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
Take a look at the sunsetter LXI, it's built on the diamond hull, it's 22 feet long, lots of room, awesome ski wake, and the boarding wake can be decent with added ballast/wedge.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-11-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Prostar 205 has a small ski wake and can build a world class board wake.