Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-05-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
I'm not even sure if I am using the proper name for it? I was looking into getting a new rope and ran across a proline lg series rope and handle package. Was wondering what advantages this thin cable like line produces?
Old    mojo            03-05-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
If you ride a slalom or tube style rope it stretches and is absolutely wrong for boarding. Cable like ropes are just dyneema with a coating. Any wake specific non stretch will do you right. You can't load a stretchy line therefore ruining your riding.
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-05-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
I currently use a pro line brand wake rope (some sort of nylon rope) that is supposed to be non stretch. I saw these dynema lines with a pvc coating and thought they looked neat so I was just wondering what the difference in material used was.....
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-05-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
I personally prefer the coated lines. They're a little more expensive, but they hurt a little less when its running through your hand as the boat is picking you up. I have a pretty cheap spectra (non-coated) line, and it works quite well, but I prefer my buddy's coated line (Ronix R8). Performance wise, same thing as far as I'm concerned, but his is a little more smooth on the hands, and tends to tangle less.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-05-2011, 9:53 PM Reply   
As far as coated vs non coated, I have used both. The coated is nice at first, but it doesn't hold up as well. The worn coated line doesn't roll up well and any accidental knots cut the coating. The coated line is also heavier. I think my next line will be non coated.
Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-06-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
http://www.bobwards.com/PROLINE-LG-W...-Package-50500

picked up one of these at a local retailer I think it will be a pretty good upgrade....
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-06-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucegoose23 View Post
http://www.bobwards.com/PROLINE-LG-W...-Package-50500

picked up one of these at a local retailer I think it will be a pretty good upgrade....
Ive got this rope and have had no problems... +1
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-06-2011, 10:52 AM Reply   
Mojo Nailed it! No stetch ever!
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-06-2011, 11:16 AM Reply   
I've got both coated and non-coated. I like non-coated better.

1 - the non-coated floats.

2 - both have been run over. I cut the damaged section out and repaired the non-coated line in a way you can hardly tell that it was ever run over. I never bothered to repair the coated line, since there would be no way to do so without the damaged part being obvious. Thus the coated line remains retired today.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-07-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
As long as you are on a low stretch you should be all right. The Poly-E rope that you have now is a low stretch rope and where the rubber meets the road it won't really hold you back, but the main difference between you fat line and a thin one is the weight. The weight of the rope will bounce a little while riding and you can definately feel the drag on extrodinarily windy days.

Spectra lines, especially the early ones, are essentially no-stretch. The performace is spectacular, but it is very hard on the elbows. When there is a snap in the line off the wake or coming down the only thing to absorb it is you.

Dyeema and the new hybrid spectra lines are the right answer and typically cost the most. They are thin like the spectra, but absorb shock like the poly-e.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-07-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
I have both and can't stand the coated line. picked up something like this (I think) a couple years ago and its a beaut. tangles less than half as much as the coated and feel better running through your fingers in the water