Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-02-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Lookin for a tower for a malibu Response LX. I've narrowed it down to two towers. The Samson Edge tower and the Airboom 3d tower. I've looked at alot of others, but these are the only two i like really. any opinions or experience with these two would be greatly appreciated.

Pics of Malibu's with Samson Towers:
http://www.samsonsports.com/gallery.html?guid=http://picasaweb.google.com/data/entry/base/user/samsonsportstowers/albumid/5163998128818752001?alt=rss&hl=en_US

Pics of Malibu's with Airboom:
http://airboom.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=27
Old     (beef)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2008, 8:28 AM Reply   
My vote goes with 3d. I like the curves vs. the corners on the Edge.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       04-02-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Sippi,

Have you looked at the Wake Air towers?? Awesome lines and one of the strongest towers made. If you have not checked them out make sure you do before you buy. If you have and you like the others listed above I prefer the Airboom for quality and durability.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-02-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Are you calling me an opinion?
Old     (lknboarder)      Join Date: Jan 2008       04-02-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
+1 for the 3D
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Stay away from the Samson's. They shake worse than Mohammad Ali!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-02-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
another for the airboom. really solid towers.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
+1 for the Airboom
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-02-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
Keith, that was harsh.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-02-2008, 11:05 AM Reply   
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1623
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=120

i have always been a fan of the titan tower, not sure what year you have but im also a fan of monster towers.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I'm just trying to give an accurate visual. Seriously though, stay away from the Samson.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-02-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
samson I have had two of the towers
rock solid towers have no idea what keilth is talking about
latest one was a razor tower you could pull a boat with it
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-02-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
haha nice visual.

What about racks? They'd have to be spinners b/c it won't fit in my boat house with the normal racks. I know they both have them. But are there any other brands that make spinning board racks for like a 2" dia. tower? I'm also gonna be putting on my own speakers (probably the new kicker kmt6 since i can get them cheap), need to add some lights, and the nav light too.

Bryan - never really been a fan of the titans or monster. just not my style i guess. that and there are a ton of them on the water here and i am lookin for something a bit different, thanks though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-02-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
I have heard nothing but good things from Samson. Gary from Samson is on this site here and there. He is a good guy. Samson also has great customer service. I second Craig's statement.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
The Samson tower is just to different for me..I dont like the cut corners..The Airboom was nice!!
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-02-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
I have the Samson and it's solid. I have 4 Wetsounds Pro60's, A light bar, and have carried 8 boards on it and it's never even wavered. I like the looks of the Samson better than that Airboom, personally.

Although I really like the new WakeAir towers that are coming on the new sangers.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-02-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
My firewall blocks me from the pics of the 3D on the response, but after looking at some pictures of the 3D on a couple other boats I would say that the lines aren't going to match up at all. The Samson does a good job of matching up with the windshield. Looks wise the samson looks way better. That Airboom looks terrible.
Old     (derek23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-02-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
I like the LOOK of the Sampson better...follows the window lines of the boat nicely.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-02-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Have any of yall heard of someone chargin 600 for installing a tower? 300 for the install and 300 for extra fiberglass t be layed down so its more sturdy?? I've never heard of that and sound absurd to me!
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-02-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
If the boat needs to have the fiberglass reinforced it doesn't sound bad. If you've ever done fiberglass it's not fun, and on the underside of your gunnels is not the easiest place to get to. If you don't reinforce it, and it needed it, then you will spend more than that extra 300 fixing all the cracks.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-02-2008, 5:52 PM Reply   
Another vote for Airboom.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-02-2008, 6:06 PM Reply   
Sippi,

I sent you a private message, so check it out!

$600 for an install is a little high. $400 is a fair price, and fiberglass isn't absolutely necessary but doesn't hurt either. It would only be necessary if you didn't install backing plates when installing the tower.

Cody
Xtreme Towers
Old     (bstphen24)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-02-2008, 6:44 PM Reply   
There used to be a malibu up in washington that had the sampson tower that epic is using. I thought that it looked pretty good on the boat. Just a thought. And I also have to say that every sampson tower I've been around has been very solid.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-03-2008, 11:42 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, i've decided to go with the samson Edge tower. it'll be red to match, with a bimini and spinner racks. also the skylon skyrack with the adapter to put it on the top, two sets of kicker kmt6 speakers, and i'll figure something out with the lights. Also getting the LED coast guard light on the rope swivel. i'll get some pics up when it comes in ..... in 5 weeks
Old     (jcas)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
Good call, the Samson Tower will look nice.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-03-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
Post up pics for sure, sounds like it'll look good!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2008, 11:08 PM Reply   
We've had terrible experiences with both these towers. I've seen them bounce so badly it snapped the handle into the boat, even though we had a non-stretch rope.
Had a buddy on Sammamish who replaced his AB with a Boss after one year.
If your all about lookin good, go for it. But don't push'em hard.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-04-2008, 7:31 AM Reply   
Not all about lookin good, but looks are a factor. Which is why i believe i went with the best of both worlds. I ordered the samson edge tower with bimini, spinner board racks, i'm building the lightbar as we speak and both sets of kicker KMT6's will be in monday. tower is red to match the boat. They custom make these towers to the specifics of each boat, so its not telescoping or anything at the top. from the majority of reviews that i've heard of them, they are sturdy as can be. I just wanted a different look. there are probably 15 monster towers on our lake, and a couple of responses with the skylon swoop, I just liked the different look, and if i can get the looks and the quality, then i'm in.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Enjoy the bounce. Also had one of their racks fail last year, bounced a SkySki off the gunnel damaging the ski & the boat.
But they look good.

I know of a used one for sale if you like.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-04-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
No offense but you're not much of a salesman. if you are trying to sell that tower, that might not be the best opening comment. Also, each one of there towers are custom made specifically for each boat. did you have an 03 Malibu Response LX?

I understand a lot of the problems with any tower is going to depend on installation. IMO if any solid tower (not telescoping or universal) is mounted correctly that swaying isn't going to happen unless the dimensions are off. as far as the rack..which rack did you get? I would think that any rack that's not welded on is going to loosen up at some point unless its extremely tight when installed. and still if nothing is put on the threads to keep it in place or locking nuts aren't used there is still a chance of them coming loose to some degree. if its not checked every once in a while then there is always a chance for something to come undone. there are just too many factors that come into play with bad experiences with any product. almost like some of these threads where somebody says the wake behind such and such boat completely sucks. well we don't know if the owner of that boat didn't have ballast configured correctly or people were situated right. see what I'm getting at?

when u had those problems with your tower was it installed by samson? did you contact them when you noticed it being shaky? or when your rack came off? In my experience so far, Scott at Samson seems like a stand up guy. He seems to stand behind his product and offer any help or support he can. he's been a lot more helpful than many other companies have been towards me just in the selection process. I appreciate your comments and respect your opinions. However I don't believe its right to take your experiences and come to your conclusion about the product as a whole like that.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-04-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
sippi - lighten up. you asked for opinions. if you didn't want to hear about other peoples experiences and opinions you should not have posted the thread. i hope your tower works out for you. some of us just have not been impressed with the tower you have selected. again, i hope it works out great for you.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
Hey, you asked for opinions. And everyone has one. Mine are based on my experiences with the product..... more than a few experiences too. My experiences with the company are very different though. And frankly, you might not be impressed there either.

That said, I'm not selling either product. I am a user. Have been riding since 1990. My first tower installation was done in 1999. We tend to put these towers through quite a bit of use, lots of hours with lots of gear on them, possibly more than others.

Maybe you don't really want to hear what others think if it doesn't validate your decision. Thats fine. Just realize that there might be others out there who have not gotten the warm fuzzy feeling you are with the product.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on April 04, 2008)
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-04-2008, 11:10 AM Reply   
oh nonono, i wasn't meaning anything like that. Honestly, i started to the thread to get opinions, and i still respect them either way. i know everybody has opinions based on experiences if not then they are just observations. i was just asking for clarification on the experiences. there are alot of people here (and everywhere else)that take one experiences and deam the whole product or company bad. I was just asking to see if anything was done to remedy the problems. I understand that sometimes a tower (or anything else) may have faults. But instead of deaming it poor quality i was wondering the other factors involved. Like was it installed properly, did you contact samson, what did they do or tell you? on the board rack situation, which one did you get, how did it break? did it break at the forks or at the mounting juncture? just that kind of info. It didn't have to be about the one i picked, it could have been the same about airboom. Either way. Honestly, since i have already made my decision i'm not going to get upset b/c someone else opinions don't validate my decisions.
I also understand that you are not a "seller" of either product. But on that last post you did say "I know of a used one for sale if you'd like" i didn't figure you for a dealer or anything. I was just saying if you were going to try and help your buddy out that's selling his, that might not have been the best opener for it. guess i should have put "hahaha" after that.
No worries guys. Sorry if i pissed anybody off. I'm actually writing a complaint letter to a company that we use here at work at the same time i wrote that last post, so some of my wording may have been the same haha. My bad.

lets try this again...which rack was it that broke on you? and where did it break...at the mounts, the fork..? if it wasn't the welded ones, did yall check periodically to see if they were tight? and about the shaking, did ya'll happen to contact samson on either one of the issues (shaking and rack)? if so what did they say, how did they handle it? Just wondering...same thing with airboom if anybody experienced similar problems. I haven't ran my credit card yet, so its not toooo late. haha. Thanks for your responses though.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-04-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
I wrote out 6 instances of these towers failing in my presence. It is so inflammatory I don't believe it does anyone any good, and really doesn't prove anything since from me to you, it's strictly hearsay.
Suffice it to say that you asked for opinions & I gave them to you. Do with that what you will.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-04-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Its cool man. I was just asking for that info if you had it, no worries. I'm going to get the samson tower either way and give it a shot. If i have to change, i have to change. No worries. Have a good one bro. and thanks for letting me know what you've experienced!