Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-26-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
when i tried a wrapped HS 3 it seems like i get pulled over in the air. any tips for this. maybe i need to wait longer before i let go of the little handle
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-26-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
Tingey,
You're right. Keep your body square as you hit the wake and wait until you're at the highest point of the pop to unwrap. If you try to force the spin to early, you will get thrown off axis. It also helps a lot to make sure you are in the correct wrapped position when approaching the wake. I often see people working a lot harder then they need to be because they aren't wrapped properly.

Good luck
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-26-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
whats the correct wrapped position?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-26-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Correct position: If you're a regular footed rider and want to spin HS FS, your right hand will be holding the small handle (palm down). Your left hand will be holding the main handle behind your back BUT to make sure you're in the correct position, you want the top of your left forearm running horizontal against the small of your back with the top of your left hand ending at your right hip. When you start to edge to the wake, feel like you're leaning back into your left forearm and maintain even pressure on both feet to keep an even load on the line between both handles.

If you execute it correctly, all you have to do is wait to the highest point of your pop and look over your left shoulder for the boat. Rotation will take care of itself. Keep the handle in on the landing to maintain good body position.

Hope this helps. If you want, I could see about sending you a video clip so you have a visual to work off of. Good luck.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2006, 9:03 AM Reply   
thanks ryan. i had been doing left hand on the small at a 45 degree angle and then my left arm on the big handle with the rope running behind my back.

is this the same to wrap up for a kgb
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-27-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Tingey,
Yes, that's the way your wrap up for a KGB. You can spin that way as well but it would be a HS BS spin. All the principles are the same, but the rotation is backside.

The handle & rope shouldn't even come around your lower back. This will cause you to not load the line properly and probably not hold the handle correctly.}
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
yeah a video would be helpful. unless ur up for some on the water instruction one of these days.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
here is a pic of my brother wrapped up. so is this wrong then
Upload
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
That will spin into a HSBS spin.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-27-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Tingey,
On the water would be better, you can get instant feedback that way. My ankle is just about healed so I'll check back with you in a few days. Would you be up for that?

Steve is right, that will spin you backside, not frontside. Which is fine, but it depends on what rotation you're trying to learn.

I would say your brother has his rear arm a little too high on his back so he's not able to lean back and use his whole body to create load on the line. You see how his shoulders are rolled forward? If he was able to bring the arm that's holding the main handle a little lower, he will be able to square up his shoulders more and have a better axis as he leaves the wake.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-28-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
thanks ryan. i would definetely be up for some boarding in a few days. if it was a weekday it would have to be very early, or not until about 5.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       06-28-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Tingey, I'll shoot you an email as soon as my ankle is completely ready to go.