Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-27-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
What other boards are out there that ride similar to an older Trip, but can also withstand rails?

I have a '98 LF Trip that I fits my riding style. I love the quick response and how fast it is. Last year, I bought an '06 Substance to ride at the KC Cable Park, since the rails aren't very friendly with the Trip's fins (and you can't get replacement fins anymore for a board that old).
My delima is that I do not like how the Substance rides compared to the Trip. Behind the boat, I still prefer riding the Trip.

I would like to get a replacement board that rides similar to the Trip, but still have molded fins so I can hit rails. My guess is that I need to find another board with a continuous rocker instead of a 3-stage. I've been searching online and it looks like the majority of boards have a 3-stage rocker. I know the Trip is back after being gone for a few years, and that will probably be what I end up getting, but I want to know my options.
I would demo different boards if I could, but I haven't found a place where I can.
Thanks!
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-27-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
hyperlite has fast boards with molded fins. they are also durable boards so would be good for rails. go to they board selection help on the home page of wakeworld. read about different hyperlite boards, i think they have what youre looking for.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-27-2007, 9:22 AM Reply   
the hyperlite pulse has a continuous rocker and outer molded fins. the graphic is also pretty sweet!
Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-27-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
I had done a quick search for boards that have a continuous rocker and this is what I came up with:
Hyperlite - Motive, Tribute, and Pulse.
Liquid Force - Trip
CWB - none
I thought it was kind of weird that all the pro models have various 3-stage rockers and not a single continuous rocker board.

Is there a 3-stage rocker that is close to a continuous? Maybe I'm way off and that's not the difference in my two boards.
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       11-27-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
.....why dont you just buy a new trip???? they still make them....
Old     (j_money)      Join Date: May 2006       11-27-2007, 9:51 AM Reply   
.... im an idiot. didnt finish the thread.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-27-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
check out the LF witness...it's a "hybrid" rocker...i liked it it was very predictable in the pop and rides nice...if my memory serves me correct it has molded fins and removable ones
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-27-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
The Liquid Force Team is supposed to be an update of the old Trip. It's continuous rocker and it has 6 removable fins, and the side ones are cupped. I would guess that it rides very similar to the Trip.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-27-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
Oh, my bad I guess I didn't realize that LF didn't make the Team this year. I bet you could still find an 07 somewhere, but I guess no 08.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       11-27-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
CWB has continuous Rocker boards.
The Marius and the Faction both are continuous rocker.
Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-27-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
I guess it's the different 3-stage rockers that can be confusing - subtle, hybrid, mellow, aggressive, etc. I'm going to guess that the mellow, subtle, or similar term 3-stage rocker is going to be the closest to the continuous rocker.

I remember when the Team came out and the Trip disappeared, and now vice versa. I had considered it at the time when buying the Substance. I wish I would have went with it...

CWB's website is a little confusing. For instance, if you use the Board Selector, it shows the Marius Platinum as having a subtle 3-stage rocker. But if you specifically select the Marius Platinum from the "spinning wheel" board selector, it shows as having a continuous rocker....

New boards are expensive. I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money and possibly get another board that doesn't suit my riding style. I got lucky with the Trip and have really enjoyed it. And I'm not saying that the Substance is a bad board; it just doesn't suit my riding style. I'm looking for something that rides similar to the older Trip. (Thanks for suggesting the Witness.)

Too bad I haven't found a place that I can demo. Then this thread wouldn't even exist...
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-27-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
Free Motion makes still sell the old LF shapes. They have different names but are still the same deck.
But i would still give the new Trip a chance.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-27-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
try the legend from gator boards. the old gator models are also continuous rockers, they may fit your style. but like mitch said free motion makes the old lf shapes like the trip the balance i believe that is what it is called. try www.the-house.com sells free motion boards for reasonable prices the board similar to the old trip shape is only $180 and that is quite reasonable. they also have some of the older gator boards so check it out. hopefully this helps
Old     (dwspring)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-29-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for you suggestions. I'll look into those boards and see what i can find.