Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            01-24-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
This is a good looking board also:

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=08%2DWAKE8

Upload
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-06-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
$825.00 .. most expensive wakesurfer made?

Sweet board though!

(Message edited by wakesurf_ohio on February 06, 2008)
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
how much does it weigh jeff?
Old    surfdad            02-06-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
Hey Billy, I don't know - I just downloaded the picture from Mike's site. You know as much as I do about it :-) The Carbon does look sweet, doesn't it? I have this vision of picking the board up and seeing the price tag and my hands suddenly start BURNING! :-)
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-07-2008, 3:50 PM Reply   
Old    surfdad            02-07-2008, 5:46 PM Reply   
That's sounds about right without fins and traction. I believe that is a 2.3# eps core, there is maybe 2 oz in boxes and 6/6 carbon...let me add that up:

12 + 12 (resin) + 2 + 2 (for misc) = 28 ounces = 1.75 lbs + 2.+ yep, right around 3.7.

I am above that on the compsands with 1# eps...that's a super light build and the carbon will give it stiffness and strength.

Interesting
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-08-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
the new IS carbon quads run $875.00 ..
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
$300-400 extra for a layer of carbon that costs $60 more in materials is highway robbery.
Old     (lnds143)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
Justin and I rode the board recently, and it's sweet! It's bulletproof "literally", and it rips backside. You definitely get what you pay for.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-09-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
under 4lbs. is no joke..hand laid carbon wakesurf boards are totally worth 800 plus dollars.i make a balsacherrybalsa wood nose block and tail block board that sells for around a grand.if we were talkin skim boards, i feel ya on the robbery.price out a new victoria carbovac or even a new slot stik carbo,both of them are over 500.ive seen a taiwanese catalouge for skims with prices like 60 bucks each if i buy 500, complete with whatever logo i wanted.hmmm asc skims.naw foreskims! thats what i'll call em
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2008, 5:44 PM Reply   
I sure it's a great board but there's no way it's worth a $400 markup. There is absolutely no reason for either company to be charging those premiums for carbon. It doesn't add anything to the labor and is only $50 extra in materials. For that price someone can go out and buy 2 carbon skimboards customized to their specs and then have fins installed

Calibrated's carbon board is $420 and a carbon Phase 5 would be under $500.
Old     (lnds143)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2008, 6:24 PM Reply   
Those are both skim boards tho ... I just think it's a great board and Walker's boards are all hand shaped surf boards that are made in America. For sure it's a lot of money, but it will never break, so it's a one time investment : )
Old    surfdad            02-09-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Sean, where are you finding all your prices at? You must be more connected than I am. I couldn't find any '08 Calibrated prices and last years Lovett pro model was $420.

Back to the Carbon...I'm not trying to argue that the prices for either the IS or TWP is reasonable, but if they can get those prices good for them.

In my use of carbon, and I don't have the buying power that either of those manufacturers have, but I was paying almost $50 more PER YARD for 5.7 over comparable 5.7 eglass. I don't know the lamination schedule of either board but if they were running minimally a 2/1 that, I think, would have a cost increase of around $250 to $300, unless I've screwed up my calculations. At least I believe it would be more than $50...if I'm off, can you PLEASE point me to your source on 3k? :-) It would have to be around $10-15 a yard I think to keep the cost increase that low.

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product_Catalog/Reinforcements/Glass_Fabrics/glass_fabrics.html

I KNOW for a fact that Mike isn't using a mold or bagging :-) so he will have an increase in the amount of labor - lapping a rail with carbon on a fairly thin board is a major PITA by hand...well at least it is for me...I would think for the IS folks, they are going to have a minimum run requirement at the factory that produces their boards. Also to make a decent board out of carbon - to take advantage of the stiffness of the carbon you have to use a higher modulous epoxy. That can add to the costs, also.

Carbon does fail. It takes a lot, but when it does it's catastrophic. In my use of carbon, when it fails - it splinters something awful - I still have splinters in my hand from the stuff...I wonder if they have a layer of eglass on the outside to contain it, just in case...again increasing costs.

Lindsey the board rode well? 3.7 is exceptionally light. I enjoyed my garage boards that were that light, but James didn't...he said that he couldn't control them once the board was in the air.

All of that aside, the carbon sure does look good.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-11-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
I can get carbon for $37.50 a yard (50" wide) without buying it by the roll.($29.50 by the roll) A yard and a half of 50" carbon is enough to layer both sides of the 4'5". $37.50 X 1.5= $56.25. OK so I was 6 dollars off.

Charging an artificially high price just because the customer can afford it is gouging and doesn't do the customer or the industry any good.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-11-2008, 8:15 AM Reply   
"Those are both skim boards tho "
and that's exactly where the 4'5" got it's influence from.

I guarantee that a carbon Zap, Exile, or Victoria with a twinfin setup will ride just as well if not better seeing that they all have decades of experience with the shape.
Old    surfdad            02-11-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
Notwithstanding your presumtions on the lamination schedule, where are you finding carbon at 37.50? I'm paying close to $60 plus shipping for 6 oz stuff. TAP, which I know is ridiculously expensive, lists it at $65. Does your source require a resale certificate?
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-11-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
I'm sure Walker's cost is greater sense they are made in the US, But IS isn't made here and I've seen numbers on the over sea's boards and it would blow your mind. They are making a killing on the regular boards already and the carbon price is off the chart.
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-11-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Just wondering if people think the walker carb is a skim or surf type board and why?
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-11-2008, 9:43 AM Reply   
BTW-I'm not trying to badmouth the boards. As I stated above I'm sure it's a great board, I just cringe at the markup over the Eglass versions. Sure the customer might be willing to pay that but it's also just daring an outside company to make a better cheaper board. (a company that might not/ probably wouldn't support the sport at the level IS or Walker does)
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-11-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Its going to happen caskimmer, look a the surf board industry as a example. I can tell you know the truth about the cost of these boards as i and the prices that are being charged for these boards is going to make others jump into the market with the same boards at a much lower price. Is it supporting wakesurfing when we have these boards retailing as high as they do? No your not badmouth, your telling the truth.

(Message edited by surf_rage on February 11, 2008)
Old    lakeside5_10            02-11-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
Jeff try this site.

http://www.uscomposites.com
Old    surfdad            02-11-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
Hey Mark, thanks for the link - I tried them before and they won't cut by the foot at that price, well the last time I checked they wanted more. The $44 per yard requires me to get 4 yards rather than the 10 feet, which is just about what I'm paying now...then it's just which has the cheapest shipping. I'm also messing with a slightly thicker board and I can't quite get 2 cuts out of the 50" wide fabric...I'd like to find some 30" at a more reasonable price.

Sean's got his mojo working getting 10 feet at a 37.50/yd price.

(Message edited by surfdad on February 11, 2008)
Old    lakeside5_10            02-11-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
just bought some 1 inch 2 lb. sheet foam 24x48 to make some small skim and punkin seed style boards.
Old     (lnds143)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-11-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff!
Yeah I liked the board, it rode like the composite x, just more stable, and very sturdy.
I'm working on airs but still have that regular side Nautique wake, so there's not much to push off of. For me it felt quite heavy (not in a bad way) coming from riding the composite x. I haven't been back on it since I started riding the bullet tho, so I'm not much help there ... Have you guys been riding a lot? It's finally hot this week, so I'm looking forward to getting out on the water : )
Old     (lnds143)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-11-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Scott,
I guess the board could be considered either surf or skim style. Justin rode the composite X with the smaller fin size at worlds and he had to ride in the surf style division. The Carbon board is very similar to the composite X, except there's a little more rocker, and I think Walker said something else is sligtly different ... I don't remember, anyways in my opinion, with the larger fin option, it's surf style.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-05-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
Did someone say carbon?Upload
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-06-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
this is my new personall ride..its not availaible to the public.(means we can talk about it)after selling everyboard i have ever made,i literally havent had my owne board for like 3 years now.decided to treat myself with a guccied out carbon seed.the best word to describe the way this board rides would be "ferrari"
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-06-2008, 3:33 PM Reply   
Billy -- that board looks sick! Very nice work!

I can only imagine the time you put into that thing to get it looking so smooth!

As your fellow Austin shaper/glasser, I will have to say I must give it a spin. You rode my adjustable quad, I must now ride your carbon. :-)
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
thanks matt...after polishing this thing out,i think i could start my owne corvette detail shop..anywayz,yes come south and ride this thing.you wont be dissappointed.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-11-2008, 12:04 AM Reply   
hey matt, i also have some left over cloth im sellin cheap if ya wanna good deal on something no prob..trying to source 6oz s glass equivalent to carbon fiber..this board is 8oz deck,4oz bottom,still too heavy imo.me lookin for the lightest possible..im werkin on a carbon deck inlay with the fibers just on the rails,i think its gunna werk
Old    surfdad            05-11-2008, 5:09 AM Reply   
Piqued my curiosity, Billy - fiberglass rails and bottom with a carbon deck? Or Carbon deck and bottom and fiberglass rails?

I have to ask - how long did it take you to polish that carbon board? It's an incredible shine.
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-11-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
carbon deck patch under both feet,with a carbon rail wrap,covered with 4oz s glass..trying to get more miles outa my rails..my boards are like walking around with a 5 foot boiled egg.this is my direction for a more durable,dingh resistant board.took as much time on the polish as it took to make it.still not really done polishing it.raw clear is the pro standard,thank goodness for that..
Old    surfdad            05-11-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
It's an absolute gorgeous shine. Looks like it took weeks to get that luster.

Interesting use of the carbon...I like the looks of the carbon rail wraps...something about it that makes the boards look so good. Have you got any finished up that you could post a picture?