Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-11-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
im with those who qualify this as just a switch 3 landed wrapped ..IMO this is not and never in the wakeboard world qualify as landing blind..to me blind is exactly like those who said is attached to backside..you cant ,IMO,have one without the other...Backside is the rotation and landing the backside rotaion is landing blind ,if you dont land wrapped then its still blind landing ...

you can land a backside 180 wrapped or with a handle passed but its still called a blind 180 or a backside 180....

anyway ive gotton a headache reading through the last few threads on this subject and this is my input ,party on..;)

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-11-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
lol - perhaps we're mixing up even more terms - when i said "facing the wake" i didn't mean looking behind you at the wake dissapating behind the boat - i meant facing the wake just like you would be on a hs landing cutting away from the wake - your chest would be pointed at the wake/boat.

obviously if you land with your toes pointed towards the opposite shore and the handle behind your back (whether it's switch or regular), you're landing blind.

all my questions to you about that were because i assumed you were talking about a sw HEELside 3. completely different story with a ts 3. it sounded like your first switch 3 and so i assumed it was heelside.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-11-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
Im not gonna argue about this anymore, but was the switch 3 in question HEELSIDE or TOESIDE, because if you did a switch heelside 3 how in the hell did you land blind (like in the picture) switch toeside 3 you are saying you felt blind, but why do you argue that a toeside 3 cannot be landed blind, please clarify if this was a hs 3, if it was you landed wrapped, sick trick! did you underrotate the 3? overrotated 180? thats the only way I can figure you looked the same as a regular bs 180 landing blind
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-11-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
I am super confused right now, he was telling us that you cannot land a ts 3 in the blind position but says he landed a sw toe 3 in the blind position?
For the record, Ive never landed a toeside 3 looking at the boat, I look behind me to stop the rotation then I bring my head around as I ride away on my toe edge... I dont call it a blind landing though
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-11-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
chris, i got that part about the facing the wake thing. Thats what made me get what you were saying, but we are not talking about a ts jump, it was a switch heelside frontside 360 landing wrapped.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-11-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
arggh!!! LOL.

o.k. so then we definitely need video or a photo. because there's no way you land a hs 3 with your ts edge facing away from the boat.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-11-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
If it definatly wasnt a ts jump (even tho that picture is a ts landing) then I think your doing a hs fronside wrapped 3.

hmm..anyone ever do a wraped 720 wraped?
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-12-2005, 5:36 AM Reply   
Can someone please tell me what we are debating again? Now I am super confused and not even sure what we are debating? Mike I found that defintion on a link here wakeboarder.com. In the glossary read "blind' "backside" wrapped" etc. Wrapped is a take off postion not a landing.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-12-2005, 5:37 AM Reply   
And Paul cmon man. You have helped me more than anyone on this site to clarify tricks,positions, etc. It isn't the same without your imput.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-12-2005, 6:43 AM Reply   
you can land wrapped, how the hell do you think you land when you do a hs 3 with no handle pass? you land with the rope wrapped around your body just like the position you'd be in if you were aproaching the wake hs wrapped for a fs spin
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-12-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
but duane, then blind is also wrapped. I think he meant you cant call it a wrapped 3, because that refers to a trick where you are wrapped on takeoff.

I dont know how toeside got brought into the mix, but it was definately a heelside frontside 360 (switch if that matters) and i landed wrapped, toe edge to the wake, but looking back and away from the boat.

This is a tough one, if blind equals back to the boat and not blind equals chest to the boat I did neither. I landed chest to the wake and looking back and away from the boat while wrapped.

This one can go on and on, personally I am fine calling it a 3 w/ no handle pass, or a 3 landing wrapped......but I do say that it exposes another grey area in the whole blind versus backside argument.

Personally, Im just going to start saying the tricks as they are. A backside 180 is a backside 180 period.....when I land them blind I will call it a backside 180 to blind.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-12-2005, 7:21 AM Reply   
chris,

also......i had to give some detailed thought to what you were saying about landing blind on a frontside spin and after going through the motion of what I did in my living room you were definately right.

I didnt turn my head back to the boat coming around, if I had I never would have been confused about it. It seems I just kept my head turned back on landing, and that is where I got to wondering about what landing blind really means. Maybe that part is still open to debate, but I can definately admit that if I had just turned my head back towards the boat it would have been a clear sw frontside 3 in my eyes.

Thanks for the diligence on this one, and for keeping it a debate and not an argument, except for thane.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-12-2005, 8:41 AM Reply   
Chris, we were right :-)

as for the wraped, there are wraped takeoffs, and wrapped landings,

hence my question if anyone has done a wraped 720 wraped. i.e., wrap the rope around you and do a 360 without a pass, followed by another 360 without a pass landing wraped. I'd call it a yo-yo if its not named.
Old    wsrmatt            10-12-2005, 8:51 AM Reply   
first wrapped seven was done by randy at least 6-7 years ago. no yo yo. thats a gay name for a trick also
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-12-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
nice attitude matt!
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-12-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
My Momma always told me... "Blind is as blind does"
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-12-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
Edging in heelside from the drivers side and spinning clockwise is a blind rotation!
Edging in toside from the driver side and spinning clockwise is a blind rotation if you push it a whole 360 + degrees!
Edging in heelside from the passenger side and spinning counter clockwise is a blind rotation!
Edging in toe side from the passenger side and spinning a whole 360 + degrees is a blind rotation!
This includes all wrapped and handle passed rotational tricks to consider them blind!!}
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-12-2005, 1:12 PM Reply   
nope. no blind rotations Jeff, we've been through this before, mike I see how you thought it was blind, you just didn't really land on your heelside edge riding away from the wake, you said you landed on your toe edge which made many people think you did a toeside 3 or not a whole 360 because you know you land on your toe edge riding away from toe 3s and regular/sw fs 180s etc... Ive landed 3s like this "on your toe edge", just a little off balance and a little under rotated on the landing
This topic needs to be closed, I think people are just getting confused on what is what and I think everyone just needs to go ride, because I cant
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-12-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
Here are some defintions I found on the web. Note Backside/Frontside is body rotation and backside is MISTAKENLY refered to as "blind". Wrapped note that it say when they are "going to" do a wrapped trick which constitutes a take off not landing. }

Backside Spin: A spin where the rider rotates with the back of their body towards the boat first. For a left-foot forward rider this would be clockwise. Sometimes mistakenly referred to as a "blindside spin".
Frontside Spin: A spin where the rider rotates with the front of their body towards the boat first. For a left-foot forward rider, this would be a spin in the counter-clockwise direction.
Wrapped: When the rider has the rope wrapped around their back when riding they are are going to perform a wrapped trick. It allows a rider to spin without doing a handle pass, so it allows for unique grabs.