Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2010, 8:57 AM Reply   
So, Sat I was taking my first wakesurf set after boarding. We were at a shallow part of the Lake which evidently my best buddy forgot and didn't catch on the depth gauge. I was concentrating on my surfing when I suddenly crashed into the back of the boat! I smashed my elbow on the platform and my dome bounced off the back of the 210. He had beached the boat and it stopped on a dime. No damage (that I saw) and luckily I wasn't injured (much, but I was banged up). Scary deal though... nothing like I had experienced ever before. It took 5 dudes to get the boat off the sand bar. Be careful out there folks!
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ouch! At least you're ok. Do wear a helmet usually?

Yeah, you always gotta be careful out there. Our lake has a channel, sort of, which is over 20 feet deep, but some parts get as shallow as 3 feet, not to mention a few boulder islands. Even though we know the lake well, we are still cautious in those areas. We've wrecked 2 props on those frickin boulders already, and we've watched others do the same.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
No helmet... Hell, I sometimes where sun glasses and a ball cap! This was more Operator Error than a underwater hazard.
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-29-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
This was more Operator Error than a underwater hazard.

Hahahaha! Maybe he was going for a DIY bumper sticker, eh?

I don't wear a helmet, but your story sounds like something that could definitely happen on our lake, so now I'm thinking of getting one. At the very least, I feel a little braver while riding.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
I WEAR A HELMET all the time while wakeboarding or at the cable parks. i can tell you from personal experience it makes a difference. on diggers and back edge diggers i don't see stars like without the helmet. i also say I'M GOOD most of the day. it's just the next day that i realize i took a hard fall.i've had 3 concussions in my life last year i had a grade 3 [which is severe] and i lost over 12 hours of my life, scared my wife to death and worried alot of friends.i started reading about concussions and they are nothing to joke about [like i used to do].they can cause permanent brain damage. i'm living proof! LOL so everyone please be safe for the fourth and consider a helmet.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-29-2010, 1:23 PM Reply   
surf in a helmet? now thats something i would like to see. for the laughter of course.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
laugh if you will but the only time you can protect yourself is BEFORE an accident. not afterwards. SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT. I WAS INVINCIBLE WHEN I WAS YOUNG. BUT NOW I'M SMART AND STILL LIVING.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-29-2010, 2:38 PM Reply   
Similar story: out with a recently met similar boat owner on his brand new boat. 2nd time boat has been on water, I'm driving, not his wife in the boat haha. Buddy is surfing and all of a sudden the boat goes airborne. i kill the engine, pop the hatch he surfs into the back deck and asks "WTF". I say I'm checking to see if we are taking on water! He turns white as a ghost like me and dives under the boat to check the damage. Short version we ran over an underwater tree that must have been on an angle since not a scratch on the hull, just some mud. Depth guage reading 26ft. Just missed prop and shaft from being ripped off.
Buddy said he's glad I had a brand new boat too cause until insurance fixed it I would have been towing him all summer.
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-29-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
Rob,

Did you beach it on Lewisville? Or what lake? Help the locals out and list the location so we don't make that mistake in the future.

Thanks
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-29-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
That's why I'm glad my lake is deep where I board/surf. No less than 40ft and often 60-100ft.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Chance- yes, Lewisville. This was on the west side of the I35 bridge. North shore line, far west. There is a park right along the shore. It is a huge flat that is like 2' deep. If you watch the depth gauge it does VERY quickly from about 12' to 2'. There is a skinny cove you can board in but if you get too close to that north shore line outside of the cove watch out.
Old     (boardnxtx)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-30-2010, 7:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Rob, I'll look out for that if I'm in that area! I appreciate the heads up! Glad you and your boat are ok.

We hit a sand bar in my buddy's Moomba on Cedar Creek a few years back. But, we were going about 25-30mph. I was sitting on the back deck with my feet in the back seat, and landed in the passenger seat when we came to a complete stop. You got lucky, it cost him $1k to get a crane to come lift it off the bar. No major injuries, but thank god for boat insurance!
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
I have been lucky. We ran it up on sand twice last year on the Brazos. Luckily, I had quick throttle response both times and we were able to just empty the sacks and push it off the sand bar. A crane and stuff would suck!!! That would definitely ruin a good day.