Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    jdr            03-12-2003, 11:24 PM Reply   
I just completed adding one new amp to my system. In the process I had to do a little bit of rearranging of the other two existing amps. So, basically, I rewired the entire thing. After completion, I am getting an extremely annoying POP every time the head unit does something like changing songs on the CD, or radio stations ect. At the present moment, the new amp is hooked up but does not have speakers to it. There are no power wires run near speaker wires, with the exception of the amp turn on wire from the head unit. As far as the overall set up, nothing has really changed and I was not having this problem last year. Any suggestions? Filters, ect?
Old    wantboatnow            03-13-2003, 8:21 AM Reply   
Mine did the same thing, but it was caused by bad RCA outputs on the deck.
Old    ratm3706            03-13-2003, 8:50 AM Reply   
also, check your grounds. Sometimes, if there is multiple things on one ground, the pop can be genereated. I had something similar happen when I installed my pg amp. It turned out that I had grounded all of the relays for the ballast system onto the same ground as the amp. So, when ever i turned off the switch and the relay opened, a really annoying pop cam through. Fortunately, my amp has a switch for flat ground, regular, or a floating ground, which isolates the input from the chasis ground. It is either something similar to this or you just need to go through and check all of your wires and connections
Old    jdr            03-13-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
Found the problem. It was being caused by controller I installed to controll the volume on the tower speakers.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-13-2003, 9:48 PM Reply   
Jay, now that I think about I took a PAC volume controller out of my system for the same reason. I bet that they attenuate the volume by dumping some of the voltage to ground. That could cause the popping.
Old    sxr            03-14-2003, 3:34 AM Reply   
you could get a popper stopper from Stinger
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-14-2003, 6:25 AM Reply   
if those do not work, try the peripheral brand loop isolator. Usually this problem is caused by a bad ground.
Old    jdr            03-14-2003, 9:03 PM Reply   
Sean, That's exactly the one I have. I haven't played with it any more. I just disconnect the volume control and the pop went away. I like the idea of the volume control, but I am not interested in having an annoying pop, so I guess it's out of the system for now!