Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
Looking to upgrade our 19' i/o to a wakeboarding/wakesurfing boat. We were looking at new axis, but we realized we could get something nicer used. I think we have narrowed it down to a Malibu Waksetter Xti, due to us liking the layout with the center mounted engine with two lounges. Found a couple that are 2006-2007 with around 300 hours for $36-$40,000. Is this a pretty good deal? Also, are there any other boats that you think would be better? We really like the roomy aspect with the tables for night cruises.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 7:31 AM Reply   
The "direct drive" (center engine) boats are not going to be as good as a v-drive. they're going to be good, but not AS good.

Where are you located?
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 9:56 AM Reply   
We are located during winter in South-eastern Pennsylvania, but we spend our summers at our home on Keuka Lake, NY in the finger lakes.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-04-2013, 10:00 AM Reply   
The XTI's are not very marketable for most people so I would think you should be able to get one for less than that. Especially with winter time coming up. They are nice boats for sure, but the market has really gone to V-Drives and everyone wants them. The XTI was a cool concept, but did not really take off and they can be had for less than that. Heck you can probably get a VLX for that price in the winter time.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
I think we are going to take a trip down to a dealer in MD this weekend and they have a few in stock, so we'll see what deals they have. Also, how many hours is too much? As in, how long will these boats last? Will a inboard with 300 hours last for 5-10 more years?
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-04-2013, 10:24 AM Reply   
Last year I got my 2008 super air nautique team edition for $41k.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 10:26 AM Reply   
What foot is your super air?
Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       09-04-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Malibus go for ever I wouldn't be to worried about hours just be careful if it has the hammerhead some burned oil over all good choice with malibu! I would go with a vlx or a v-ride Verse the xti for space and wake wise but either way you can't go wrong
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-04-2013, 10:51 AM Reply   
I'd look at Malibu 23 LSV in that price range.
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-04-2013, 11:08 AM Reply   
You definitely want to go with a v drive. I'd stay under 500 hours in that price range. With 40 to spend I would go with a super air nautique 210. If you want to stay with the big 3 (Mastercraft, Malibu, and Correct Craft) then your looking at boats that are 2008 or older. The Nautiques were the first manufacturer to make boats similar to the new ones with more freeboard to allow for ballast. If you had 60 to spend then I would recommend a newer Malibu Wakesetter because they pulled ahead of nautique in later years. If you had a 125 to spend on bran new then I would go back to Nautique again. The Mastercraft x star isn't a bad choice either. It depends on whether you want the ramp of a Nautique wake or the mound of an x star wake. If you want a boat that is longer than 21 feet then you should look at other manufacturers like Centurion, MB, Sanger, and Supra because the big 3 boats get super expensive for boats longer than 21 and 40 won't get you anything that isn't thrashed. The lake I ride doesn't allow 23 foot boats so I never even considered one. If you don't know what kind of wake you want and just want to pull a tube then get a four wins or a bayliner and save your money.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
A few other things to narrow down your search:

Are you looking at a traditional bow or a "pickle fork" bow. Traditional bows aren't as roomy up front, but generally will do a bit better in rough water as they are higher. For example, i have an axis w/ a pickle fork, it makes me nervous when heavily weighted in rough water because the water can come over the bow. Same with the 2nd generation (2003ish-2011) mastercraft xstar.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the following criteria:

1) Less than 400 hours
2) "big 3" (i.e. mastercraft, malibu, nautique)
3) 23' or bigger

Off the cuff I'd look for a malibu LSV, Mastercraft x-30, or Nautique 230

My dealer in MI has a LSV for sale. PM me and I can send you the info.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 12:28 PM Reply   
I think I would learn towards the traditional bow, because the high bow is a big thing. Like you've mentioned, the A22 has a very low bow and that is the main reason we did not get one of those (we were looking at them new last year). Our boat now has a low bow and can swamp pretty easily, and we would like to get away from that. Also, we were originally looking for air nautiques, but we could not find any reasonably priced. I also forgot to mention that we would very much prefer the boat to be under 4000lb because we currently have a 4000lb boatlift and would like to not have to get a new one.
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-04-2013, 1:02 PM Reply   
Mine is the 210. And I would disagree on the hours comment above. These engines go 2,000 hours without a rebuild some say even longer. If the boat has had oil changed on the engine, I would be unconcerned about the hours. If you buy high hours from dealer that can't confirm oil change service recrods, just have them guarantee engine only for a while (few months). If you buy from a individual just ensure they have service records.

I am unsure how the suggestion of 23 foot or bigger came up based on your comments...

On the lift I think you might have a problem. My boat has a dry weight of 3,900 lbs. I had a lift that was rated for 4,000 lbs. But after adding gas, and few other things I knew I would be over by at least 10% (400 lbs). So I sold my lift and got a 5,000 lb capacity lift. Of course it is a pain to sell a boat lift, and get another one. But once you see them side by side you will see how much more heavy duty the 5,000 is. Well worth it for piece of mind - each and every time you crank it up.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-04-2013, 2:02 PM Reply   
I am going to test drive a 247 lsv RX wakesetter this weekend, so I will see how that goes. It's a 2008 with 300 hours. If we go this route, we would definitely need a 5000 or 6000 lb lift. Does anyone have any opinions about this boat?
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-04-2013, 5:51 PM Reply   
A 247 LSV is going to be way over the capacity of your lift. That boat is easily 5000 lbs in lake form.
Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       09-04-2013, 5:52 PM Reply   
It's a big boat but it will be nice to have the extra room, you can get a massive wake and surf wave with extra weight in it!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-04-2013, 6:01 PM Reply   
You could get a newer Moomba or Supra for 40k. The Tige 22VE and 24VE are very surf able and they are both roomy.They both make excellent wakeboarding wakes when weighted.You could probable look at 2006- 2008 year models of those.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-04-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
RX is also a direct drive. 23 lsv is what you should be looking for. 04-07 probably fits your pricepoint.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       09-04-2013, 6:45 PM Reply   
I have finally made a decision on boat I am getting so my nautique is going up for sale in next few days, Look at my past threads and u will c plenty of pics, also has over 6k stereo system all jl audio, message me if u r interested 07 sv211 team edition, perfect pass, ballasts, spinning racks, Bimini, custom boat specific cover, three batteries, snap carpet, and less than 200 hours
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-04-2013, 11:41 PM Reply   
Ian, I think a 247 RX would be an awesome boat. Three seating areas, great wake, good handling. The price should be lower than the V-drive version as no one knows about it and, as you've heard, everyone thinks it's not as good a layout. On a boat that big it is a good layout. Just remember that you have one passage past the engine so keep junk out of there or everyone is stepping over it. I wanted that layout and bought my Sanger because of it, over the V-drive.
It's also really big to trailer and store so make sure you can handle that. Definitely too big for a 4k lift.
Good Luck.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-05-2013, 5:49 AM Reply   
Yes, if we were to get this boat we would also get a 5500 or 6000 pound lift- this was decided last night after researching the weights and fuel capacity. Also, does the 247 really hold 87 gallons of gas? That seems like a ton- more than both the g23 and the g25! FInally, do you think it would be better to tow it to our lake house in upstate NY or get it shipped there? It is a 280 mile trip, and we would be towing it with a 2011 Mercedes ML350. It has a 4600lb towing capacity so I think we should be OK towing the 247, but we would also have to get a hitch (its around $800 after the wiring harness and everything). Would it be better just to have it shipped the 280 miles?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-05-2013, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16igordon View Post
Yes, if we were to get this boat we would also get a 5500 or 6000 pound lift- this was decided last night after researching the weights and fuel capacity. Also, does the 247 really hold 87 gallons of gas? That seems like a ton- more than both the g23 and the g25! FInally, do you think it would be better to tow it to our lake house in upstate NY or get it shipped there? It is a 280 mile trip, and we would be towing it with a 2011 Mercedes ML350. It has a 4600lb towing capacity so I think we should be OK towing the 247, but we would also have to get a hitch (its around $800 after the wiring harness and everything). Would it be better just to have it shipped the 280 miles?
Umm, if a 4k lift can't handle the boat, what makes you think towing with a 4600lb capacity is a good idea??
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-05-2013, 6:13 AM Reply   
My 20 foot Tige RZR weighed almost 5K on the trailer. Thats a boat with a listed dry weight of 3200 lbs. That boat is going to be probably 6500 lbs on the trailer. Your going to be 2000 lbs over your capacity, thats not even anywhere close to safe. 280 miles is nothing to tow with a suitable tow vehicle.

Like delta said if you know you need a 6000 lbs lift how would you tow the boat if your max at 4600? Even if you forgot to add 1500-1800 lbs for a trailer big enough for that boat.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       09-05-2013, 6:30 AM Reply   
I forgot to add the trailer weight- The dry weight of the boat is 4000# and I completely forgot about the trailer weight. The difference between towing it and putting it on the lift is that I would tow it with very little to no fuel. Looks like I would have to get it shipped.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       09-05-2013, 6:35 AM Reply   
a 247 on a trailer will weigh north of 7000' guaranteed.