Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
My brother and i are going to try and put together a cable pulley system for our pond. Were both real handy at figuring out things and jerry rigging stuff. The problem is i've never been to a cable park so i don't know how they really work. I've done quite a few searches and haven't came up with anything yet. Does any one have ANY information on this? Even just a picture of parts of a cable park system. Or should i just harness up my dog?
Old    bassboy8855            06-18-2003, 1:44 PM Reply   
Hey thats a good idea... I have no clue what your talking about, but is it some kinda thing that gets you up with out a boat? And if it is, think a swimming pool about 30 ft long and 10 ft wide is big enough?
Old    griffdizzle            06-18-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
30 by 10 feet is most definately not big enough
Old    welchag04            06-18-2003, 2:45 PM Reply   
check out texasskiranch.com....this is the newest place in texas
Old    ruger311            06-18-2003, 2:49 PM Reply   
jeremy i thought about the same thing, if you have a good size pond maybe bout 2 acres or so would be the best, get some telephone poles and set them about 20 or so feet apart around or on the inside of the pond about 5 feet so that you would always be in the water, then you have to figure out a cable system,,what ive seen looks kind of like the ski lift systems, get some rollers and mount then on the poles or mount them on braces coming out of the poles, then get you like a 40 or 50hp electric or gas engine and put on some type of clutch so that the cable is not always moving and then you can engage it or disengage it,,,the only problem with this is that the poles would be in your way unless you came up with something to the cable overhead,,hell if you wanted to go bigtime then you could make something of a cage and have rollers hang down from the top then you wouldnt have any poles to worry about,,,thought about the cage thing on my 3 acre pond,,,it would be fun plus you could always have sliders and kickers in there to play with, but the boat is always the best,,,,,,
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-18-2003, 2:58 PM Reply   
I think all you would need is......thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars. Good luck.
Old    nl_johan_uk            06-18-2003, 3:55 PM Reply   
I have the link you need. Close up pics of all the parts you need to manufacture yourself for your project, or just order them from the site. Here comes the link:

http://rixen-seilbahnen.de/shop/index.htm

Hope it helps! Looks like a project on which you might need the help of (if you can find them) the A-Team! Good luck!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2003, 9:21 PM Reply   
I'll check out that site. I love it when a plan comes together!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2003, 9:22 PM Reply   
OH ya...I pity the foooo
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-18-2003, 9:34 PM Reply   
Thanks johan, for the site but my god $1,100 for a deflection pulley. I'm talkin bout tearin part and usin da old barn door and hookin up the lawn tractor.
Old    oldschool            06-19-2003, 5:31 AM Reply   
It'll never happen.
Old    mikebailey            06-19-2003, 5:39 AM Reply   
This might need a bit of work, but I think would be a lot cheaper. You can use any heavy thing for the ' heavy thing ' and I am pretty sure you could use rope as well.

If anyone would like to buy these plans, they are only $99

Mike

Only $99
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2003, 6:38 AM Reply   
yep, Never.
Old    mikebailey            06-19-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   

I am sure I read somewhere that wakebaording, started by surfers towing themsleves behind cars on crappy days,?

could you tow behind a car ?
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
we've towed behind a car in a really small lake, so it is possible, just not much fun.
Old    amcdouga            06-19-2003, 7:23 AM Reply   
I commend mike's idea. Very creative. But ive got plans for something that wont cost you anything but your "virginity"! Take a gander:

image/bmp
wakeboard.bmp (98.1 k)

These people really know how to build shat and they ask for no gas money. I say this is the cheapest and closest thing you will get to a cable park. Let me know what you think and maybe we can get the ball rolling on this deal! Also, dont judge by this blueprint, i was up late last night so i was having some trouble "keeping inbetween the lines". And yes, the "friend" is throwing slayers!

(Message edited by amcdouga on June 19, 2003)
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-19-2003, 7:29 AM Reply   
Lot more work and engineering than you think even to build one out of junk. The poles you put in the ground have to go up then angle way out over the water this way there is plenty of water on either side of the cable so you can cut in either direction and wont get thrown ashore in a crash. Those will have to be sturdy and then anchored by redundant cables. If by some miracle you managed to get these in and knew they were strong enough, you have to attach large pulleys to the end. These will have to be calibrated so that every pulley on every pole is the same height and square. If you dont it will derail alot. Next you have to rig a device which takes power from an engine on the ground and transfers it to the cable above. Now you need to figure out how you are going to attach the rope. A cable park uses v-shaped carriers along the cable to grab a ball on the end of the ski rope. Now you need to devise a carrier feeder. This takes the ball end of your rope up to the cable to be grabbed by the carrier. And that is just the very minimum basics...

Realize at 20mph, you cover alot of water very quickly. Even at a cablepark on a HUGE lake, you only get 3 tricks or so before you have to set up to take a corner. Better make sure your pond is big enough.

Good luck!
Old    amcdouga            06-19-2003, 9:20 AM Reply   
Thank you Captain Obvious!
Old     (leinad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-19-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
The best idea would be a stright back and forth pull like the T-bars at a ski hill. The cable would travel in stright line to one end of the pond loop around and go stright back. A pole at each end and one in the middle perhaps.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Get an old car put it up on blocks take on one the tires off and hook a rope to it. Have you buddy sit in the car. When you say go he puts it into gear the rope gets pulled in by the wheel and you get pulled across the lake. You can only get one run at a time but hey its pretty cheep and simple.
Old    bigd            06-19-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
This sounds like the beginnings of one of those stories where bubba ends up dead right after he says "hay cooter - watch this!"...
Old    oldschool            06-19-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Ask the boys at monster garage to build something. Oh wait, he wants to rig it up, ask the boys at Junkyard wars.