Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (owasco08)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-18-2013, 12:16 PM Reply   
This is my first summer with our new 2008 Centurion Enzo 230 6.2L 377ci w 400hrs on the clock. We seem to be burning oil at a faster rate than I would normally be comfortable with. We are starting to keep track more carefully, but initial observations have us using 1qt for our first 10hrs of use. No smoke, no residue in exhaust, oil pressure good. We have not checked compression yet, but we will. I have spoken to mechanics from different makes from coast to coast and a tech at Mercruiser and Centurion. All but one have assured me that the way we use these boats (weighted for boarding, and tilted when surfing) will lead to oil burning. They say the big blocks suck it down even worse. I am willing to accept this, but would feel better if others experience the same thing. I have checked a lot of forums and sites, and do not see much discussion on the topic, which surprises me. If my car or 1999 Mastercraft did this, I would be freaking out. Actually there was a certain amount of panic when we first realized we were burning oil. Any thoughts or other clues we should look for would be appreciated. thanks
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-18-2013, 12:39 PM Reply   
previous boat was 460 hours, current boat is 360 hours. both inmar assault 330s.
neither burned any oil. at least not a measurable amount.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-18-2013, 1:01 PM Reply   
I have a 99 x star with the 350 ltr. When I run full synthetic, I burn about 1/2 quart every 30 hours. When I run regular, I burn about 1 quart every 30 hours.
Old     (zap)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-18-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
I had a 5.7L/330 Scorpion, 350 hrs, it did not use any measurable amounts of oil
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       07-18-2013, 2:18 PM Reply   
I've had 2 boas with different motors and haven't seen any notable usage.

IMO synthetic in a boat is a waste of money, No real advantage.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-18-2013, 2:42 PM Reply   
400 hours on my Merc Scorpion and it's never used a quart of oil between changes and that's with synthetic.
There are a few reasons that it might seem low. One is the angle of the hull when checked. Mine is always on water when I do that. The level will drop some filling the filter so that can make a difference. If the engine had some fuel that got in to the oil, or condensation, it could raise it a bit and then get ventilated out, but not a quart. If the engine is over filled when first measured or used at a high list it can froth the top of the oil and some will get lost through ventilation.
Oil can leak, or go past the rings, or go past the valve stem seals. If you continue to use one qt. every ten hours there is a problem. My guess is that this won't continue to happen as the engine is still quite young.