Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    alanp            03-02-2013, 11:37 PM Reply   
well be there in early summer. just beginning the home search. waterfront property looks pretty affordable but not sure i want to live that far out. the wife and i go out often and would probably be happier if the lived closer to the city. ill be working near myers park.
are there any facilities that dry dock boats? or marinas that i can find covered storage. ive heard lake norman can be a bit of a mad house and not a great spot for riding.
Old     (wspeedin)      Join Date: May 2011       03-04-2013, 4:47 AM Reply   
There are palces on Lake Wylie and LAke Norman for dry dock or covered storage. The best little spot to ride is on Mountain Island Lake but there is no marina or storage on that lake. Good luck on your search and hit me up, we will ride!
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-04-2013, 11:52 AM Reply   
Mtn Isle, is quickly becoming harder to board on, and not worth it IMO. Both Wiley and Norman are better all around lakes. If you are in Mayers Park, you are going to want to check out Wiley first. On the Charlotte Side, you wont get as much house as you would on Norman, which is a bigger lake, and more to do. Truthfully your best money would be Denver, so you can get on the empty hwy 16, and take 485. Its a great area to live in.
Old    alanp            03-04-2013, 9:45 PM Reply   
there are plenty of nice houses in denver, just checking thats about 30 miles from uptown. not really interested in driving that far daily. the wife and i dont have kids and go out 2-4 nights a week and like to be close to bars/restaurants/entertainment. im leaning towards just getting a home inside the 485(or close to it) and keeping the boat at a storage facility in the summer.
Old     (wspeedin)      Join Date: May 2011       03-05-2013, 4:49 AM Reply   
Alan, I have live in Charlotte my whole life and I wil tell you that it would be a wiser descision to buy a home closer to work than where you play. The amount of idiots drivers in this town is unreal! I board on Norman but live in Monroe because thats where I work. Seeing as how you dont have children then you will not have to worry about the crappy Charlotte Mecklenburg School System. Myers Park is an awesome area but be careful because there are some areas that are less than desirable right near up and coming (revitalized) areas. Dilworth is a great area near Myers Park and has lots of NewAge stuff as well as some historic features. Stay away from the North or West sides of town.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-05-2013, 8:18 AM Reply   
West Port Marina in Denver is the country club of dry storage, I had a great experience with them last summer.
Old     (jhartt3)      Join Date: Jan 2012       03-05-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
I spent a good 6 months there 2 years ago... Charlotte is a great place... one i wouldnt mind relocating to. Check out Mac's Speed Shop... Great food and Better beer if you're into the craft brew scene. i think there are 3 of them scattered around town
Old    alanp            03-05-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
thanks for the responses guys. work provides 3 months of temporary quarters so ill utilize that time to get a feel for the city. and i definitely love beer so ill be on the lookout for macs.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-19-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
I missed your post but wanting to respond as well.

I have lived on Lake Norman and Lake Wylie both in my years in this area. As mentioned traffic does suck but that is in any major city. If you are going to be boarding/surfing more than hanging out and drinking I would definately suggest Lake Wylie. Areas of decent living include, Fort Mill, Tega Cay, and Steele Creek. These will all put you about 30 minutes 18-20 miles from Myers Park. The SC side has cheaper taxes and gas, also a straight shot to down town. If you want a nice area in NC but a little further out I would say the Belmont area, it has a slight current on the lake but it is some nice water and not as crowded.

If you are going to party and do more drinking the wakeboarding or surfer then you may like Norman a little better. Norman is way more crowded and there is a nice party scene on the lake. You will do less boarding on Norman in my opinion just due to boat traffic and the number of people on the lake. Of course early morning and evenings you can ride for the most part. Lake Wylie we can almost ride all day in certain areas.

If you are ever down this way and want a tour of the lake or some decent areas to live give me a shout!
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-19-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
To comment on the business of the lakes: you can find a good spot on either lake, just understand that weekends are weekends, and its not going to matter what lake your on.

Here are a couple of things to consider: while Wiley is smaller and have smaller taxes, you can buy less house per dollar on that lake. Understand that majority of that lake still has the weekend home feel, which is fine for some, but not for others; its still a bit country in a lot of places. Also the lake can get very hot. When I was teaching lessons, the water temp could get above 90 easily. I am good with mid 80s but 90 was too much, and it was miserable just watching in the boat from the heat coming off the water. Also if we have another drought like we did a couple years ago, they will let Mtn Isle, and Wiley start to go dry, just to ensure that Norman has water, this is because of the Nuke power plant on Norman, and the amount of water it needs to ensure it can cool the coils in case of an emergency.

Lake Norman has parts that are country too, but has much better built up areas. The weekends are crazy, which is fine if you want to go out and enjoy a party, but if you want a set and its between the hours of 9 and 7, you might as well just give up. If you want to be on the south side of the water, while there are some 'ok' places, there are few good protected spots. So if you want more protected water, you have to go further North, which is more of a drive from the city, which isnt bad as long as youre not on the 77 side.
Old    alanp            03-19-2013, 12:41 PM Reply   
guys thanks for all the replies, regarding the warm water temps, thats just up my alley!! hahah. i lived in arizona where water temps were near 100 and i ride on a nuclear lake now and in the summer the water is in the 90's and about 100 by the nuclear plant. i think at this point my plan will be to get there and get a feel for the city and where i want to live. my job will pay for housing for a few months so no reason not to take advantage of that. plus the wife and i will probably have some established trends(ie where we go to drink, party, hang out). there seems to be an abundance of really nice homes in the 500-700k range and several being on the water. just dunno if we wanna live that far out of town. ive been looking at homes on the south and south west side of town but still inside the 485 corridor. like ballantyne and providence. also been looking at places in dilworth(problem with those homes is finding a 3 car garage, for my boat and an antique car i have).
Old    alanp            03-19-2013, 12:46 PM Reply   
oh and ill be there around june 7th or so. hopefully i cant meet you guys and ride. ill probably keep my boat at a marina on wylie for the summer.
Old    alanp            03-19-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
and what is the scoop with belmont. how is that scene. so far that is the wife's number 1 area to live.
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-20-2013, 5:05 AM Reply   
Belmont is on the north end of Lake Wylie and is a very nice area. The town of Belmont is small but has a couple good bars and every Friday in the summer they have outside concerts, beer tents, etc.. I lived there for about a year myself and really liked it.

They just built a new Marina in Mt Holly ( may be consider Belmont not sure) that has covered and uncovered on water storage. I am not sure if they have put in any dry storage. They were also going to build a store and resturant there as well but I have not been up that way in awhile.

Belmont is close to 85 and 485 so trips into downtown Charlotte are not to bad. Most of the worst traffic is further north and south. It also puts you close to Mountain Island lake and not to far from Lake Norman if you wanted to check it out. I have some friends that live on the lake in Belmont and they love and never plan on leaving.

One bad thing, I believe they are still going to build a toll road through belmont so just check aroud and make sure if you do buy a house there that it does not interfere with your property.. I havent heard much more about it but I think it is still going to happen.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       03-20-2013, 7:46 AM Reply   
Alan - We will miss you at Lake Anna. Sorry we didn't get to ride together. I imagine you might come visit your brother though, so maybe we will ride then.

Best wishes for happiness and smooth water in Charlotte (that's somewhat duplicative isn't it?).

Steve Davis
Old    alanp            03-20-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
hey steve- i return to the states in late april and ill be around lake anna thru may. i still wanna get out with your son work with him if he's up for it. also we also need to hook up my nephew with your boy they are about the same age and literally neighbors(at least on the weekends). jonathon won the boys eastern int division last summer and would be a good riding partner as well. see you soon.

raymond thanks again for the info. seems that there are some homes in "belmont" but on the water. must be the western edge of mil.
Old     (ToPHeR35)      Join Date: Jul 2011       03-20-2013, 1:08 PM Reply   
mmmm Lake Norman....One day I hope to live on that lake!
Old     (burban89)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-21-2013, 5:59 AM Reply   
Anytime Alan, when you get down this way give me a shout. I would be glad to show you around if you do not know to much about the area or if you get here and are itching to get out for a pull. 704-506-5700
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       03-21-2013, 6:44 AM Reply   
Alan: Sounds great. Let's definitely connect. My son Lee is already itching to ride. Having a buddy his age up there to ride with would be great. Steve