Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old    head461            01-18-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
I am building a house and need to know about how big the garage will need to be to fit a 22' boat. I don't own a boat at this time to be able to measure and was curious if any of you guys had and ideas. Let's say with the platform off but without a detachable tongue.
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-18-2005, 3:01 PM Reply   
I have a 29 foot deep garage and with the platform on I still have room for a work bench and room to work behind the boat.
Old    head461            01-18-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
thanks, thats a start
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-18-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
My boat is 22' on a Ameratrail trailer. I believe when the swimstep is off it measures 24'. But if you're building something, why not build it 2' longer and leave the swimstep on?
Another thing to consider is the height of the garage door, assuming you get a boat with a tower. I got lucky with my house -- the door was already extra tall, and one side of the garage was deeper than normal. Even with the tower folded, I still need close to 8' of height (7'9" if I remember correctly), but with tower folded, my boat is taller than most...

Oh, and make it 12' wide. 10'seems logical, but if you go a little wider, you'll thank yourself later.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       01-18-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
Mine is 28' deep and I can leave the platform and tongue on with a couple of feet to spare. My garage door is 9', but I have to fold the tower down to get it in. Inside height is about 10'.

9' height is great because I can drive my Expedition into the garage with a Thule box on top with no problem
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-18-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
I had a Tige 21V (only 2 inches shorter than the new 22V). I had to swing the tongue and take off the swimstep to make it fit in a 23'6" garage.

I was lucky to build a new garage so I went with 35 feet long and 16 feet wide door that is 12 feet high. It works great for the new 24V and I will call it a RV garage if I ever sell the house. If you have the space and money, go as big as you can.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-18-2005, 6:51 PM Reply   
Do like talltigeguy if you have room. Build it long. The extra space will get used, one way or another (storage, workbench, motorcycle, etc.). Even if someone doesn't have a boat or RV, 35' is enough for two cars, end-to-end. That, IMO, makes it worth a whole lot more than a garage that could fit 1.5 or even 1.9999 cars.
Old     (suprasteve)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
My 2005 Supra 21v is 25'2" w/ trailer and swim platform. Width is 102" w/ trailer. Heigth w/ tower up is approx. 12-14ft.

I'd recommend a garage 30ft long x 10ft wide x 14 ft high.

This way you have enough room to store/hang up whatever gear you may have.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-19-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
I ended up having a 20'w x 30'd building put up. Garage door opening is 9'h x 14'w, and I still have to drop the tower to get it in or out. Once it's in, the tower comes back up.

Again, go as high and as deep as you can, you won't regret it.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-19-2005, 11:36 AM Reply   
My boat stall is 41.5' deep and 14' wide. The ceiling is 12' I think. The door is 8' high by 10' wide. I have to fold the tower down to get through the door, but I can stand the tower back up inside. You can never have too much garage. I two cars, a PSD, a snowmobile, the boat, and all of the gear, plus room for the workbench, air compressor, garbage cans, etc. I wish my garage was a little bigger, because my garden tractor has to sit outside.
Old    head461            01-19-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
I was tyring to keep it cheap but after to what ya'll(Texas) have to say I think I need to spend a little more up front to happy down the road.

Thanks for the replys!!!!!!!!!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-19-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   
Suprasteve,

I'd be very surprised if the tower is over 12 feet when on the trailer. My 24V is about 7.5 feet above the floor of the boat and my 12 foot door still has enough room for the racks to fit. If your tower is 7 feet above the floor of the boat, then the boat floor is 5 feet off the ground when trailering? There is a huge lack of Supras in my area - are their towers much taller?
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-20-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
Aaron, I'll try to post some photos of my setup, but I can tell you that if your garage is six inches deeper than the length of your boat, you'll be ok.

Here's my story...My Nautique is 21'2" w/o the swim platform, probably about 21'6" when you take into account the speedo pickups. First time i tried to back to boat in, i tried to go at an angle to get it in my 22' garage. No way, wouldn't work, as my tongue was about 2 1/2 feet extra. I called up DHM trailer in Sacramento, brought my trailer to them, and they modified my trailer (cost of around $1k) to bring in the front end at a tighter angle, and put a swing-away tongue so that the length of the boat is more than the length of the trailer. They pulled it off so that the trailer looks factory perfect, i was totally amazed.

Best part was that my family/friends said there was no way I would get my boat in the garage, and i can actually get my boat in there with about 2 inches to spare on the back wall, and about 4 inches from the garage door. After you get used to it, takes me all of 2 minutes to back it in with my wife guiding me in. i can now get it so close to the wall, that i can also park my SUV next to it in our 2 car garage.

Anyway, the point being that it can be done!