Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-21-2009, 5:04 AM Reply   
I think comp vests are bad for our sport. Every company is heavily advertising comp vests and marketing them to the average rider. I will not let anyone ride with a non uscga vest behind my boat. Like the pro-life jacket ad says it only takes 4 seconds to sink if you are knocked out.

I challenge manufacturers to focus on safety and make 80% of their life jackets uscga. IMO comp vests are for pros only and even then should only be for competition. People without vests need to get a major clue. Way more basic than even for example helmets in any sport.

When I try to buy a new life jacket, it seems the MAJORITY are comp. Then they all show up on clearance when they don't sell. What gives?? Who is buying these?? Major manufacturers like Hyp, and LF always trying to unload Hennie comps for exampe.

Take a company like Helium. They only make a couple uscga models and you can tell that their focus in advertising and design is on the comp vest. I really like the construction and look of their jackets, but I will never ever ever buy a comp vest. Their colors and graphic design are also way too garish and bold colors for me for the most part.

What do you think?

----
http://www.heliumwake.com/dyn_category.php?k=149882

2009 Vests
o Balance Series
o Division Series
o Division Series - CGA
o Flak Series
o Freedom Series - CGA
o Her-Fit Series
o LRS - CGA
o Rove Series
o Swat Series
o Swat Series - CGA
o Wake Tanks

Kids:
o Child Series - CGA
o Grom Series - CGA
o Infant Series - CGA

---------------------

So I really do think they are a promising vest company and their product line offering is really quite full. But they still have seven lines of comps and only four lines of cga. You can really tell on some models which got more attention to design and detail.

Also they have ZERO WOMENS USGCA this is not okay. Stop trying to make womens vest be all hot-looking. Make then functional, innovative with classic styling. No high-belly vests, less barbies and lipstick (ie pink and pretty).
Old     (tl_hereford)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-21-2009, 5:32 AM Reply   
People make fun of the "bricks" (USCGA) I use on my boat but at least I know I will float. Its all personal pref in my opinion but I won't be buying a Comp Vest any time soon, I fall way too much. There are also too many factors I cant control. A stump or log floating just under water can wipe you out and you would have no warning no matter how good you are. But some people like the freedom of movement and the all around light feel so power to them, but they are not for me. The CWB Essential vest I tried on this week was sweet. It felt light and my range of motion was close to a comp vest.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
Both of my comp vests float me perfectly so I'm not in any major hurry to get CGA vest. The female vest we have on our boat is also CGA, hot looking, and even floats me (dont ask). Although safety is a major issue and the people who wear NCGA vest on our lake have been fortunate enough to not take any serious life threatening wrecks I do not see the comp vest industry switching over to only CGA vest if people keep buying them.

I personally believe comp vests are more comfortable, stylish, and have the support to keep me a float in any situation. I also ride the O'neill Guru so I'm not basing this off of a thicker NCGA vest.

That is great though that you support the wakeboard communities safety so much. I agree with you on a level that companies should be trying to invest more time into make better, lighter, more stylish CGA vest so everyone ends up winning.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-21-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
Henry, next time out, put on your vest, hop in the water, take a few big deep breaths in to get some oxygen in your system so you can breath absolutely all of your air out. As much as you can push out. See how much you stay afloat. Now keep in mind, that if you take a hard fall, get the wind knocked out of you and take in water to the lungs, you are now even less buoyant.
I don't know the vest you are using, so I don't know the results. I am just asking you to do it for your own good.
When people come to our camp, Travis and I have people do that with their non CGA vests and they are surprised at how much of their head goes under. Then we have them try it with the CGA vest and they are blown away. Then end up using a CGA for the rest of the week and they don't mind, especially when the take a hard smack to the mid section.
I worked with Jet Pilot for a while get not only the function of my CGA vest, but the look right. We put "hinges" in the foam so you could still move around while having the required foam.
I know of people who have died wearing the comp vests because they sank.
I was offered my vest in a comp version which would in turn make me money. I turned it down. I'm not trying to toot my horn, but to let you all know how important it is to me that you wear an approved vest.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-21-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
Thanks, Shaun. I wish everyone in watersports could read what you wrote.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2009, 6:26 AM Reply   
Great thread Mike and great post Shaun, I couldn't agree more. I only buy CGA vests for my boat and family.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-21-2009, 6:30 AM Reply   
Not to mention with all the cables popping up we cable riders could use a cool CGA vest!
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
I was having this conversation with a couple buddies last night. My feeling is if you can't do the trick with a CGA vest then you can't do the trick and 2mm shouldn't cause you any issues.

I like that test Shaun and I am going to use it when someone thinks they are going to ride with a non CGA vest behind my boat.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
I've been only wearing CGA vests for years now and it's no big deal. It doesn't affect my handle passes at all. I know this because not too long ago I forgot my vest on the boat and wore a non CGA for a set. While it was a little more comfortable, it certainly wasn't comfortable enough to make it worth the risk.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-21-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
I used Shaun's jetpilot series vests at camp and found to be surprisingly flexible and non restrictive. I ended up using it the whole week, and wearing a CGA vest didn't prevent me from learning loads of new stuff and having a great time. I've owned a Helium NCGA vest too, and I'd rather ride this. It will probably end up being my next purchase.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-21-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
I have always worn a CGA vest (I am in Canada, its the law), and a department store brand at that. While I find it very restrictive and uncomfortable, I have never stopped wearing it, because as stated before, its not worth it to not wear it.
I dont think comfort/looks are a good excuse for not wearing a CGA vest, as I have seen many manufacturers with CGA vests that require me to read the fine print to find out that its CGA, not a comp vest. So while the vests do look badass, there are still much safer (and for me, more legal) options.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
I agree with what you guys are saying, and if I had the money to spend I would go out and get shaun's USCGA vest tomorrow. But I must say that the hyperlite catalyst vest, while not CGA, is surprisingly buoyant. I have taken some hard falls in that, to the point of knocking the wind out of myself and hardly being able to move, and i had complete confidence in it's floating power.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-21-2009, 7:57 AM Reply   
Ive always wondered why the rules say that cga vests have to have two buckles. That being said, cga is a better choice (yeah i wear a noncga). Id like to see more manufacturers take shaun's stance. There have got to be a way to make all cga vests more appealing. Its just a matter of getting the designers on the band wagon. If everyone could have a cga vest that performs like a non cga at a price around 100-120 bucks, i think a TON of people would switch back over to cga. Make it thin, but superbouyant and will still float you with your head up and roll you over. I think it can be done, it just is going to take some investment.

There are enough great minds on this site alone to make it happen probably, and I would be down to start a movement!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
Never worn one and I'm not starting now. Maybe Shaun's is a good option, but all of the other CGA's I have worn were horrible. They are way to restrictive and restrict my riding. I'm already not flexible, and this just adds to the cause. The vests they make you wear at McCormicks almost makes me not even want to ride there. They are the bulkiest vests ever. There are plenty of non CGA vests that float well, but just don't meet the criteria to make them CGA (like flipping you onto your back). The helium vests have VERY little flotation but I have found all of the Jet Pilot vests I have worn, and they are the only vests I buy, float pretty damn well AND i have gotten the wind knocked out of me plenty of times and never did I feel like I was sinking. I feel like they have done nothing to improve the technology of CGA vests and when they learn how to make them thinner, then I will consider one.
Old     (power_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-21-2009, 8:39 AM Reply   
ive noticed recently that a lot of the CGA vests are getting thinner so they are more like the comp ones.. just my opinion
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-21-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
The 2009 Jet Pilot Murray is by far the best CGA vest ever made, props to you Murray.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-21-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
I think it's America and I can wear whatever vest I want!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
Now this one doesn't look HORRIBLE but of course it is a front angle view so I can't take much from it, but it is also a good price at only $99.99
Upload

here is Murrdogs new vest, still looks pretty bulky

Upload
Old     (spinner_x)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-21-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
And the worst thing about comp vests is that they are so expensive. I'm sure Murray's CGA vest is not going to be cheap either but the majority of CGA vests are cheaper than comp vests.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2009, 9:02 AM Reply   
I would appreciate if someone else was not allowed to make this decision for me.
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
i use to have a jet pilot cga side entry vest that everyone thought was a comp vest. I now use an 06 hyperlite vest that fits me like a glove because its designed for tall skinny people.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 9:26 AM Reply   
Why Tank, apparently Mikey thinks he is the voice of the sport and comp vests should no longer be made because he says so. Luckily for us, we don't have to worry about something like this ever happening and we will still get to ride our nice and comfy comp vests. Not wearing a vest is not acceptable but only being able to wear a CGA vest is just as dumb. Some of us don't ride in 200 foot deep lakes and a lot of us (like me) ride cable the majority of the time in lakes that are no more than 5 feet deep at the deepest parts. The Jet Pilot comp vests like I said float very well and have awesome padding for protection against those bad falls. They also make you look jacked for the girls on the boat/cable watching you.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-21-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
P of O, can you stand in that 5 foot deep water if you are unconcious? because if you can thats super impressive! On a side not i ride with a non cga but that was my own decision but don't get cocky about wearing a comp vest.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
no but the point is that in 5 feet of water, if you fall and sink to the bottom and your friends see you, I don't think they won't be able to find you AND I still don't think you would sink to the bottom. At least not in the vest that I wear. There is such a broad difference between comp vests from how much or how little they float. Just because it is a comp vest does not mean it is not an adequate flotation device.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Pray that you never have to find out IF your friends can see you or that you don't experience one of your friends taking a bad fall and not coming up.
Old     (jclay5)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-21-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
Is the jet pilot baller buoyant? I just bought this comp vest and I still have the tags on it. I'm a bit worried about using a comp vest after reading this thread. I know the last two years I was using a O'neill comp vest and there were a few falls where I was real tired and out of breath and when I fell I sunk pretty far down and I didn't think I was going to get back to the top it scared the CRAP out of me. One last thing what do you guys think is the least restrictive and most comfortable USCGA vest for water sports?
Old    K.B.C.            03-21-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
"I would appreciate if someone else was not allowed to make this decision for me."

Me too. We've been losing enough of our personal freedoms in this country. It should be my choice to wear a CGA or Non CGA vest, not the governments.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-21-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
If you get knocked out you will drown in five feet of water.

I know it's a free country. But I think manufacturers are pushing them really hard, and I don't think they are appropriate for most people. I think it is endangering people.

There will always be motorcycle riders who refuse to wear helmets. I think it misrepresents our sport. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Shaun thanks for posting on this thread. When I flipped through the new WBM I certainly was checking out every vest ad. I flipped through them all and I'm pretty sure yours was the only CGA. It looks awesome and it is in my consideration set. Thanks for always doing things the right way been watching you for so long! Over a decade..
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 10:18 AM Reply   
People should also have to wear a helmet when they ride to protect against concussions and brain damage. The latest deaths in wakeboarding haven't been from drowning, they have been from people hitting their heads leading to death and/or permanent brain damage. A helmet definitely would help protect against the impact and most likely would have saved their lives. Do you wear a helmet, Mikey?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
WakeMikey, it only takes a few inches of water to drown. $.02

Kyle, that first PDF that you have is bomb.. I just bought it yesterday so, if anyone else is interested in it... They run smaller. I have a 39.5 inch chest and I had to purchase the large 40-44 inch chest size.

As for my boat. I am the one that sets the rules and everyone obeys my rule. If you don't like my rule, then don't come on my boat. I have a no comp vest rule. So, I'm the captain of my boat.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-21-2009, 10:25 AM Reply   
I didn't intend this post to say anyone shouldn't have the right to wear non-cga if they want to. I was trying to say that the market is flooded with non-cga vests and a too many people use them expecting them to float in a fall.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
The title of your post is for companies to "Stop making comp vests!" I mean that is pretty much taking away the right for people to choose. I am just curious what your thoughts on helmets are? Like I said, the most recent deaths have been from head injuries, but no one makes a fuss about people protecting their heads. In the mags, none of the guys wear helmets when they hit rails, and in the videos I see, no one wears helmets to hit rails either. That is just as bad as them not wearing a vest while riding to me if not worse. BUT people haven't died from head injuries on rails, they have died from sheer water impact, so shouldn't helmets be a standard requirement?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2009, 11:34 AM Reply   
I know I can swim underwater perfectly fine with my Non-CGA vest but it just fits soooooo nice, unlike any CGA I've ever worn. If they could make a CGA that fit like the Oneill boost I would wear it
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
Yeah its illegal to wear NCGA life vest on our lake too but the police in New York aren't as wise to wakeboarders and waterskiiers as they would be elsewhere.

The jetpilot baller, which I sometimes ride and is NCGA and floats me extremly well. It is not comfortable as my O'neill Guru though. That vest would probably fail that test that Shaun pointed out now gonna lie. It floats me well but im sure if I got owned in a wreck then I might sink. With all that said, that vest is too damn comfortable and I will continue to take the risk like pros do everytime they ride without a vest.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
I am still waiting for a CGA only advocate to defend not wearing a helmet.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
If your hitting rails you should be wearing a helmet. All it takes is one time. I agree it should be your choice, when you are behind your boat. As Dabell said when it's my boat it's my rules.
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-21-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
I wore a helmet at the Atlanta tour stop, where I got knocked out, was unconscious, not breathing until til Drew McGukin in the tow boat, jumped in to pull me out of the water. Thankfully, I was on "top" of the water for him to get me on to the boat, where I started breathing and came to after they pulled me up to the sun deck of the boat. So I was wearing a helmet and still had a good whack. My point is that the helmet could have made my head heavier creating more swing weight, and bigger surface area to stop my head from piercing the water easier. BUT, I was wearing my vest so I floated. It was on Fuel if you had the chance to see it.
I, in no way, am saying that helmets are bad, in fact they have saved my life many times, but to answer your question Kyle, that's my story.
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-21-2009, 12:26 PM Reply   
my .02 cents.

Kyle and Tank, you are right on. No one should tell you what to wear. You guys are big boys and know the risks involved with the sport.

I think each rider should honestly evaluate the way they ride and decide if they are good enough to wear a comp. I'm not good, so I wear a CGA, but if some dude wants to wear a NCGA on my boat he knows the risks. I would expect him to be smart enough not to try and ride beyond his ability. Then again accidents do happen no matter how safe you ride with a NCGA vest.

Kyle, on the helmet thing. Totally agree if you are hitting rails and jibbing things. However, wearing a helmet may or may not protect you when just riding behind the boat on the wake. A helmet increases the surface area of your skull so when you fall you 're not as hydro-dynamic as you would be without a helmet. This can lead to serious neck and upper back injuries. I know that is better than brain damage or death. When I was told this by guys who are a lot better than me I quit wearing one. I think helemts are a double edged sword.

Are sport is dangerous. I figure just use common sense. I don't push it because I don't train to wakeboard specifically.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Just an observation;

The Coast Guard tells us what vests are approved and we are all over it.

The Coast Guard tells us how much max weight we should be putting in our boats, and we totally ignore it...
Old     (amo)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-21-2009, 12:43 PM Reply   
Good observation Tank. Why do you think that is?
Old     (shaun_murray)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-21-2009, 12:44 PM Reply   
Tank, funny, but true.
I don't think ability to float has much to do with your ability to ride. It has more to do with consciousness.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
Shaun, or the helmet could have saved your life in that crash. Maybe if you did not have the helmet on, the impact would have been enough to kill you. It's like the freestyle motocross guys when they smash their heads on the ground. If they didn't have a helmet on, they would have been dead on the first crash. Instead they end up knocked out with a concussion. Yes obviously a helmet will have more swing weight and allow for neck or back injuries, but it is not breaking your neck or back. But in your case Shaun, it sounds like the HELMET AND THE VEST did their jobs.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
I have found a vest that works for me. I am not comfotable with certain comp vests (O'neill Assault), felt like it was waterlogged the whole time, but feel more comfortable with the JP A-10 (both fit and safety). It fits my torso better, does not ride up, floats me enough that I am confident my boat will have enough time to get back to me before I go under (unconscious, no air in lungs). Remember the CGA vests are designed to float an unconscious person indefinitely (they are assuming the worst, lost at sea scenario). (Please don't get me wrong, the CGA vests absolutely float better, and are safer).

Another thing to think about; All the floatation in the world will not save you if it does not stay on you right (rides up too far, you slip out). I have seen this too...alot.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on March 21, 2009)
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-21-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Im glad I don't ride behind your boat. and the comp vest that don't sell are usually made by board companies, and can't stand up to good vests like the gooru or teeb.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-21-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
I've been thinking about going the CGA route but I've been wearing comp vests since I was 14. They are so nice.

I'm just thinking about what I would do if I went to ride and someone said, "nope can't ride that vest behind my boat, my boat my rules". They are probably right but dang, chill out! I think I'd ask to be taken to the dock. Over it!!
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
Kyle please tell me your not comparing hitting water to packed clay or dirt. Your argument is like a ko'd rider without a vest. It does not float.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Tank I ride the JP A-10 too...perfect vest!! and it definitely allows enough time for the driver to get back to you.

Stephan, hahahahaha. Seriously man, that would be one hell of a situation. I would throw on one of those orange vests and take my set just to make them look dumb on the lake. "AHHHHH LOOK AT THOSE KOOKS ON THE X-STAR RIDING WITH ONE OF THOSE ORANGE TARD VESTS". Their respect on the water would be lost forever
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
These threads never get old. Even when the facts are clear people argue them so to all those that don't ride a cga hope you never have to test your luck on weather your buddies can find you before you sink out of sight. For the rest of you I hope you never have to pull your buddies back to the boat after getting rocked and for my crew get those life guard skills handy it is time to ride and getting rocked just seems to happen
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
CJ how so? When you hit the water going fast enough it, it can be like landing on solid ground. I guess you haven't learned raleys yet because you will then learn how hard water can be. The trick that Shaun is talking about was on a 313 I believe and the impact he hit the water was one of the worst falls I have ever seen, and I really believe the HELMET helped save his life. I am not saying people should wear helmets. I am saying that if people are so concerned about wearing a CGA vest than they should be equally concerned about wearing a helmet and protecting their head. There have been 2 or more deaths over the past couple years do to kids hitting their head on the WATER wakeboarding and if I remember correctly, two of them were kids who rode together and were Jr. Mens caliber riders.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
Helmets are foolish for just wake to wake riding IMO.... once you get on rails then they have a place.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-21-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
Thanks for making this thread - helped me decide on what vest I wanna get this year.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-21-2009, 1:34 PM Reply   
I didn't read the whole thing, but I have a jet pilot attack vest (comp) that I bought to wear under my dry suit- now there's probably a reason I shouldn't be doing this too.. BUT it's smaller and less restrictive and with the air that gets trapped in a dry suit anyway, I float very well. With that said, Using it by itself in the summer it's probably the WORST of the WORST comp vest for floating. I bought a new O brien EVA last summer and it ROCKS- very comfortable , easy to move in and USGA approved! I am a believer in floating - i.e. not dying- but the comfort is nice too.

There's always the old orange very Shaun uses in Detention- HA! BTW- Great tip on the 360 in that vid, loading the line at the wake. I needed that little tip!
Old     (maleyb)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-21-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
Any dealers out there have any opinions on this? I've been going back and forth on not even selling comp vests anymore. I don't think anyone has the right to tell anyone else what to wear, including helmets and seat belts, so I'm not on that bandwagon. But if I sold someone a non-CGA vest and they drowned, I don't think I would ever get over it. I'm thinking about just getting rid of them so that situation never comes up. Thoughts?
Old     (n00b)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-21-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
Nick Tomsyck I've seen a number of people burst eardrums while learning inverts, a good helmet would have saved them. /2 cents.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-21-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
I only do what I see the coolest pros doing in magazines and videos. I saw Chad Sharpe stick a toeside double backroll with no vest, and he didn't die, so that settles it, no vest for me. Plus, none of the cool pros ever wear helmets when they hit rails, so when I don't think I ever will either. safety is cool and all, but being cool is cooler.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-21-2009, 2:24 PM Reply   
brad, then your customers will just order them online.
Old     (mx118)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-21-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
It is a 100% fact that CGA vest will keep you afloat... It is not a 100% fact that a helmet will protect you better than not with hitting you head on WATER. With that said I do wear a helmet behind the boat.

As for getting pissed if someone tells you that you can't ride behind the boat is sad... They would be the ones responsible if something happened to you, just like a car and a seat belt the drive gets the tickets too.
Old     (tcwake)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-21-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
If you are looking for the comfort and mobility of a comp vest try on a hyperlite side entry cga.. the jet pilot murray, or the jet pilot recoil... all of those are really good options for cga vests.

If it were not for comp vests, a lot of riders would simply choose to wear no vest at all over wearing a big bulky one.. a comp vest is just another option...
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2009, 3:13 PM Reply   
Bigheavy, I say that because I am out there to relax, have fun, and enjoy my experience. Having to worry and stress that someone that has a comp vest is not my way of having fun. I trust my friends but I don't trust them enough to put their lives in danger any more than a CGA vest can offer. It's just a personal preference and safety issue. $.02

If you choose otherwise, that is your option but I won't put my friends in a situation that they wouldn't want to handle either. It's a mutual respect.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-21-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
I work part-time at a boat dealership and proshop, and I never recommend non-CGA vests to anyone. The reason is that they are not as safe as CGA vests. The coolness factor (which I don't understand at all) and the comfort factor just don't outweigh the safety factor. That's all there is to it. And, frankly, I don't buy the performance factor at all. In my experience, provided that the CGA vest fits correctly, performance is a complete non-issue.
Old    sdahockey21            03-21-2009, 4:13 PM Reply   
Truth be told, I never even notice my vest (cga) while I am riding, it just becomes part of me.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-21-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
didnt shaun fall on like a kgb or something close to that? not that it matters AT ALL but since wakeworlders are so good at aruging i figured i should call that out...
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 5:38 PM Reply   
Wakerpunk, that could have been a separate incident but I think you are right, a kgb 5 i believe, but the fall that sticks in my head is his 313 crash which is why he stopped doing 313s. You are definitely right though, the incident he is talking about now is the KGB 5 because the 313 wouldn't have been on Fuel because it was years ago.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-21-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
USCGA All the way!
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-21-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
I am pretty sure it was a wrapped kgb 5... to back edge... ouch
Old    sealyon.net            03-21-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
I use both, but I never thought about floating without air in your lungs. Great point shaun. I'll be using my uscga vest now.
Old     (calummoore)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-21-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
I've read this whole topic...

Tank and kyle, you guys are the reason the rest of the world thinks americans are arrogant and plain stupid. I feel sorry for the intelligent people in your country who get a bad wrap from guys like you. I lived in the US for four months, i've seen guys like you before and all i can say is i'm sorry for everyone else.

Get over the whole looking cool factor about riding. How cool are you going to be when you're dead?
Old     (maleyb)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-21-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
Luke, I realize my customers will order them online. All I'm saying is I don't want to be the one who sold one to someone who ends up drowning.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-21-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
Calum, I really have no idea what on earth you are talking about. Answer me one question buddy. How many people have you heard drowned while wearing a non-cga vest while riding? That's right...ZERO. My non-cga floats me just fine. It always has, and it always will. I have zero apprehension riding with it on knowing that it will keep me afloat long enough for the boat to get me. Will I be face up, don't know, don't care, but I will be floating. I didn't know it was offensive to people in Australia to not wear a CGA vest. Are you wearing one in your profile picture? Or better yet, are you even wearing a vest in your profile picture?
Old     (wakeboardqueen)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-21-2009, 9:02 PM Reply   
Eh I Justt ordered a non cga ...great
shoulda read this first
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-21-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
"I am still waiting for a CGA only advocate to defend not wearing a helmet."

Spoken like a true know nothing.
A helmet for wake to wake riding has been discussed for years and years. The consensus has been it will not aide you in any way except to prevent a board or hard object from cracking you open. If you know anything about concussions/paralyzation you will know it is much much better to ride wake to wake W/O A HELMET! A Helmet increases your surface area and therefore creates a bigger resistance while hitting the water this causing you head to slow more abruptly, thus increasing your chances of a concussion or spinal injury, Comparing a freestyle moto-x crash to a wakeboard crash is like comparing an apple to a bannana. I am sure you already knew that though right??????

A helmet has its place for those doing sliders,boxes, kickers and other grinds on hard such objects where the greater risk of severe injury stems from a collision with a fixed, hard object. That is where it is worth wearing one. Again no proven benefit to wearing one for wake to wake riding.

On the other hand a CGA VEST will only help you stay afloat, may save your life and has no adverse reactions from wearing such a vest. It is designed to purely be beneficial. While I do agree it should be a riders choice, laws have been around and most states require a CGA Vest on their waters. Just because it is not enforced doesn't mean their isn't one already in place. Again a choice you can make. 9 times out of 10 a DNR/Conservation/Coast Guard boat is n't going to be checking a rider in motion as they are more concerned with people operating in unsafe manners.

I to OWNED an A-10 Attack Vest. About 6 of the riders in my core group also OWNED that vest and by far out of most of our NON CGA vests this vest is the absolute worst for floating me and several others. The vest has since disappeared from our circuit. BY FAR THE WORST. I ride the Watson Non-CGA Vest. It is a choice I choose to make, but I would never ever say it will float me or anyone who isn't coherent and conscious. When you do get knocked out it will be a wake up call for you TRUST ME. As will the fact that an adult can drown in as little as 2 inches of water. I have 7 yrs with the CG patrolling and fishing dead bodies out of the waterways. There is a reason a vest isn't CGA.

Maybe it will float you due to the board and bindings and air in you lungs........... sometimes, but as others have stated it won't float you the right way. You lungs will fill with water and even though your trunks are showing you are still "drowning" and that can take seconds when you unconscious and not in control of your bodily functions. Obviously your lack of knowledge has shown through in your responses. You should be educated in the subject and have some experience before you go spouting off about things you have no clue about. You arguments in the helmet realm are void. It has been proven time and time again ,scientifically, that more concussions/paralyzations occur DUE TO A HELMET in cases of water wrecks than the helmet prevents. The odds are against you in that favor. Sure there are always exceptions, but percentage wise you have a much greater chance of hurting yourself due to a helmet on water crash than you do not sporting one in a simple wake to wake riding style.

Again even me being part of the Coast Guard........I know it is not ethical and I know I shouldn't, but again it is my choice and I choose to ride the Watson Non CGA vest. I know and understand the risks yet again it's my choice. I will however never tell anyone that a NON CGA vest will float you just fine..........beacuse it won't. PERIOD!

Again ride what you want, but you are taking a risk riding a Non-CGA vest and anyone who says you aren't is a fool. I will however attempt to dry fit one of these newer CGA Vests mentioned. I have always wanted a CGA Vest but as the original post stated they are still the same blocks of material that make me feel like I am in a straight jacket. So this discussion has gotten me intrigued.

(Message edited by xstarrider on March 21, 2009)
Old    thebiggmann            03-21-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
I ride the Watson se CGA and I think it is very comfortable and mobile. But then again i've never ridden a comp vest.
Old     (matteoh)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-21-2009, 10:43 PM Reply   
I love my catalyst NCGA vest. it floats me just fine and i have sooooo much flexibility with it. As for dying by wakeboarding, at least i died doing what i love.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-21-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
Swatguy, where's your proof? There are NO scientific investigations that support your claims. "Bucketing" won't happen with a properly fitted helmet because the buckles are designed to release.
The slight increase in surface area from a helmet is no where near as significant as the cushioning that is provided from a helmet.
I concussed myself twice without a helmet on 540 crashes. Started wearing one, have taken raleys and 540's front on and only come up winded. Sorry mate, you need a little more proof.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-21-2009, 10:53 PM Reply   
AMO..you need to get the correct facts from medical personnel who know that helmets help with brain deceleration in the skull....not from people who ride better than you. If your head is bigger than mine does that mean you have a bigger surface area so you get more damage? The helmet adds a layer to help with brain deceleration or "whiplash". But enough of this....there are too many helmet threads out there.

Shaun...help Jet Pilot come up with a low profile womens cga vest!!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-22-2009, 12:01 AM Reply   
I'll take the word of Jacob H. Fox, MD, who is chairman of the Department of Neurological Sciences at Rush University Medical Center and co-director of the Rush Neuroscience Institute any day of the week over some internet chat rooms. We have had some lengthy discussions and I have brought in several helmets for him to inspect.

Feel free to pm me seeing as this post isn't directly about the use of helmets and I will explain to you what one of the most renowned neurologists in the country conclusions were. BTW he co-chaired a research program for 3yrs before becoming the chairman of neurology at Rush regarding the impact of drag boat drivers with the water.

It pays to have some "connected" friends.

(Message edited by xstarrider on March 22, 2009)
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-22-2009, 12:30 AM Reply   
Upload

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ROTF..... LMAO......
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-22-2009, 12:32 AM Reply   
why are there people in this thread saying comp vests are more expensive then USCGA vests? CGA models are always more expensive compared to the comp version of the same vest.

amyways, i agree with some of you that it is nice to have the choice. i wear a comp vest because i have yet to find a uscga vest that i feel completely comfortable in. i wish the coast guard would lift the rule that there has to be three points of closer. i think that limits the design and comfort capabilities of cga vests. im short and i cant stand long vests that go over my hips because they need room for straps. the new Oneill CGA vests are very comfortable compared to others and past year vests, but they are still thick and dont seem to break in like comp vests. i think that most companies do favor the Comp vests and dont put as much R&D into their CGA vests. like with that new side entry hyperlite vest its obvious that the side zipper will rub and chaff your arm and the JP side entries do the same thing and have the large foam panels that drift and flip around inside the vest. i would prefer to wear a cga but not until the designs step up and i can have a vest that fits me like a glove, gives me impact protection, no zipper contact, and no weird pressure from the buckles. until then i will wear my buckle and zipper free oneill gooru.

i know my gooru will not float me in an accident, but i am aware of the risk understand the consequences. but im not a complete dummy, i would not wear that vest if i was with people i did not trust and i would not ride in a gooru if it was a crazy choppy day on berryessa or shasta.
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-22-2009, 12:37 AM Reply   
Has anyone ever worn a non-cga vest for a while, and then switched to a cga and felt like crashes caused more whiplash from not falling into the water as easily?
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-22-2009, 5:00 AM Reply   
Swatguy - you need to make a new thread and finish the debate forever then. Post these scientific results!