Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2012, 9:24 AM Reply   
.......boards sizes in the same line?

If you had to buy a board without riding it first how could you choose?

Learned on a 133cm @ 5'9" and 79kgs but it's on the old insert layout and stance is a little narrow
with conversion plates on.

Looking at a 137cm or 142cm. How much difference between the two would there really be. I am assuming the insert spacings on both will be very similar as the extra length is said to be throughout the board. I know there is also a "weight range" manufacturers suggest but being between 75-80kgs most of the time I fall in both boards ranges.

Having learned on a shortish board the 142cm seems "big" in my head.

Just after some thoughts from others really.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-16-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
most times people choose the larger of the two sizes if they fall between in the recommended weights. Also consider your height. if you are short than you can do the smaller board. if you are taller than average for your weight go with the larger.

sometimes people who love to do spins will choose the shorter board, but now days boards are all getting so thin and light that even this trend is diminished
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2012, 12:43 PM Reply   
at 5'9 I would say I am neither tall nor short :-)

All makes sense.

Thanks for the reply.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       09-16-2012, 1:03 PM Reply   
Go the bigger board. More pop and softer landings!
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
actually noticed tonight the Process is in a 137 and 141cm......4cms difference. Does this small amount make much difference to how the board rides in the water give the extra board volume? Seems a little odd to produce boards so close in size.
Old     (skippabcool)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-16-2012, 1:38 PM Reply   
I could be wrong, it may depend on the board, but I believe that not only is length added but width. Not a huge difference but there may be additional weight to the board as well. My buddy rode my Trip then went down a size on the one that he bought and he said that he was able to control the smaller board better. It was still a board size that based on his size and was either right on the guide or still a bit bigger.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-16-2012, 1:57 PM Reply   
I guess my only thought/worry was, adding 9cm in length and at least 1cm in width would it feel a bit like I am on a tray. But I guess you get used to whatever you ride and the difference is so small as you guys have suggest bigger is probably the better option.
Old     (petrie141)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-16-2012, 2:09 PM Reply   
*this is just my experience*

The only noticeable difference I've ever felt has been in my stance. The longer board will allow you to spread your feet out further. I'm 6'2" 195# and have personally ridden a 133, 137, and 141. The 141 felt most comfortable. I personally feel like I have more control when my feet are spread out, most noticeably on rails. Although the longer boards usually weigh a few ounces more, I've never really a difference when on the water.

There's no secret to get more op other than proper technique. If pop could be gained just by adding a few cm to board length, we'd be riding 210's by now.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-16-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
I'm 6', 160 lbs, and normally ride a 139 Ibex. My dad bought a 142 Watson a couple years ago, and I love taking sets on it. I am below the listed weight range, but I find the board rides a little higher in the water and pops me way more than my Ibex, just due to the extra volume and buoyancy. I have had no problems with control or weight, the only reason I havent stolen it from him is that his bindings are a little too big for me and he might notice.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-16-2012, 9:28 PM Reply   
the smaller boards will sit lower but for someone your size id stick with about a 139
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-17-2012, 1:13 AM Reply   
" for someone your size id stick with about a 139 "

right inbetween 137 and 141 ha ha! :-)
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-17-2012, 1:15 AM Reply   
" for someone your size id stick with about a 139 "

right in between 137 and 141 ha ha! :-)
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-29-2012, 10:17 AM Reply   
Update:-

I got a 138 and a 142 Ronix Bill (not that I am looking for a Ronix) side by side today on the floor and whilst it obviously is a little longer in the 142 the real noticeable difference is the width across the full length of the board.

Have to say I thought the 138 was plenty big enough. So I would say to anyone unsure on what size to look at the width dimensions.
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2012, 7:13 AM Reply   
Another little update (for those who may be in the same predicament as me)....

2012 Process 137cm arrived yesterday. And whilst it is slightly wider than my Murray '06 133 the length difference is minimal.

This is because the length measurement is obviously take from centre tip to tail and on the Murray the centre in these areas have a cut out shape and on the 2012 Process it has a 'peak' if you like. The difference between the bulk of the boards though is minimal.

Decided to return and replace it with the 141. As I want a little more tip/tail outside my stance.

The actual 137 weighed about 200-300g less than the 133 though which is great so the 141 will be very similar to the 133 weight I would guess.

I have to say whilst searching I found working out the surface area of the boards quite helpful in deciding whether you could go smaller or bigger in certain sizes. Obviously it is not exact as all shapes are different but some bigger sized boards by length have a very similar service area to those of a smaller board.

Anyway..hope that helps people in similar situations.

Re: The Process

Have to say I am looking forward to riding it. It has one of the biggest channels I have seen (not that I have seen many) on a board either the side of the sintered line and 2 smaller ones. Unlike some where they seemed to be tiered going towards the edge of the board. These seem to be the opposite. So great for (finless) cable riding. Not sure how it will feel flat on the water in a butter slide.