Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-01-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
So this past weekend went out on the boat, had a great weekend! A little to great. Drank so much had a buddy drive the boat back. He said an alarm went off on the dash when we where almost at the launch ramp so he just putted back.

Well cut to today and I notice the bilge is full of water almost to the floor boards!

I pulled all the plugs and couldn't help but notice that floating on top was this milkshake of transmission fluid. Once all the water drains opened both dipsticks on the tranny. Then one closet to the motor the fluid looks fine. But the forward one looks way overfilled and looks like a milkshake!

Needless to say I want to drain it asap and get fresh fluid in!

Problem is I can't find a drain plug?

Is there a drain plug?

Or do I need to pump it out?

Problem two! Why was the bilge full of water? Why wasn't the bilge pump working? Well it appears I have four wires ripped up and wrapped around the driveshaft!

D@MN this sucks!

P.S. Boat is a 2006 Malibu VLX
Attached Images

Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-01-2010, 10:48 PM Reply   
no drain plug i know of same boat
just suck it out form the fill
I'd do it a couple times to remove all the water
plus moving the bow up and down to move the fluid around
this situation is also why I have added a second automatic bilge pump in the center access panel
plus wife like to take waves over the bow

Last edited by my_malibu; 06-01-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-01-2010, 11:58 PM Reply   
Just got done sucking it out and filling it three times fluid finally looks crystal clear. We came to the same realization right now as we were doing this as to if my bilge was working and we put all the drain plugs in the boat and filled it up with water to see if the bilge would work as the bilge turns on with the switch on the dash. The wires around the tranny belong to the left rear ballast tank. I had 8 inches off water in my center access hole. A solid 4 plus around the tranny and the bilge pump was still high and dry with no water around it? And this is with the boat on the trailer and jacked up as high as it could go in the front. We decided tonight we're adding a secondary center bilge! What did you use for a bilge pump Craig?

Also after removing the plugs and flushing the bilge out to get all the tranny fluid out and the bilge dry it appears the tranny is leaking tranny fluid from the front seal where all the wires where, actually still are, wrapped around the transmission. The wires are in there so tight I'm gonna wait for day light to try getting them out of there. But it looks like I might have a leaking seal now. So i guess that means the tranny needs to be pulled? Any ideas on where to get the seal and tips for pulling the tranny?
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-02-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
So fluid was nice and clean no more water but the front output shaft seal is gushing tranny fluid! Had to pull the v-drive off! Pretty easy job actually just unbolts. Did have to remove the ballast pumps to get the wrench on some of the bolts and had to slide the gas tank back to get clearance to pull it out. Only took a little over an hour from start to finish!

Here's some pics of the v-drive and the tangled wires that caused this mess
Attached Images

Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-02-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
holy **** man
made me check and add a couple wire ties to my harness
i used this pump http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10624
and used some 5200 to attach it
T into the drain for the center tank with check valves
Bakes marine on line for the seal etc.
Old     (my_malibu)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-02-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
oh forgot
also hook that bilge pump to a dedicated battery just for that pump and E starting