Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Is 655 hours way too many for an '01??

Can you get a nice '01 or '02 X-star under 30K??

Would you rather get an older X-star or a newer Moomba Mobius LSV??
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
If I had to choose I would go with a new 2006 LSV over any 5 year old boat... I really like the new tower/hull/interior.
Old     (snyper1d)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-26-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
Depends on the owner. If you have someone who doesnt take care of their boat, then yes, 655 is alot. If you ignore maintence/service, then the hours tend to take a toll on the boat.

On the other hand, I have seen boats with over 800 hours that look showroom.

Thoroughly go over the interior, hull, and engine to examine for abuse. If you are really worried, take it into your local dealership and have them do an extensive check. Normally they will charge you an hours labor, but you will have peace of mind all mechanical issues check ok.

Personally I would prefer the Mastercraft over the LSV. Mastercrafts tend to hold their value better than the Moomba's, but you can not go wrong with any of the top inboard boat manufacturers. I have not had any on the water experience in the new hull, but it is impressive in the showroom. A complete turnaround from last year's LSV, IMO.

Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-27-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
Truely, 655 hours is ike 40,000 miles on a car. The thing is a lot of people don't have time to spend that much time on a boat. The interior may be hurting a little due to wear and tear, but that is kind of similar to chips on paint. I would say look at the engine and hull. If that is good you can talk them down enough to pay for some upholstry. I would go for the xstar myself.

I could see why someone may go for the moomba (the warranty would be nice), but personally I just like that old x star a lot.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-27-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
As mentioned above, 655 is not a lot of hours if the boat has been taken care of. I have an 01 with 455hrs on it, and it has been well mantained and is in showroom condition. Some 01s had a problem with the seats not venting well, and an orange spot would appear. This happened on my boat last year, and MC replaced all the seats, and the center sundeck upholstry were the stitching was pulling apart. I love our boat. We usually have a crew of 6 and it handles it well. The rough water ride is probably the biggest down fall, but we don't ride in white caps, so it doesn't really matter. It also has a nice ski wake. I run the course with ours all the time, so if you like to ski as well, its a good choice. 30K would be about right on an 01, but an 02 might run a little more. I have never been in or ridden behind a Moomba, so I don't have an educated opinion there.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
I'll chime in. my parents sold their 01 last year and it had something like 700 hrs on it. Other than the sudeck vinyl splitting it was in better condition than most boats with 50 hours on them. The thing ran like a top, and because it was run and serviced regularly it stayed in great condition. I would almost be more worried about a boat that has sat and seen minimal use than a boat that has seen regular use.

On another note, the X Star will have already taken its depreciation hit. You could probable sell it three years down the road for something like 3k less than you paid for it. The LSV on the other hand will take a huge hit in the first 3 years. Just something to think about.

Hope this helps
Old    debsxstar            04-27-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
I would also go for the Xstar. I have an 02 and love it. I have about 230 hrs on mine and have it serviced regularly. The only issue i have really had with it is the fuel sensor went out and after the oil pressure would drop, the engine alarm would go off and it would shut down. MC knew exactly what the problem was as i called them from the water on the lake. Part was just $30. One other issue I have every other yr is the steering cable would tighten up and make steering tough. It needs to be kept well greased or the cable will need to be replaced. MC is a great boat!

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-27-2006, 2:21 PM Reply   
I will chime in about a few issues.

1. There is something to be said for a new boat and warranty.

2. If they were both new, I would take the X1('01-2 X-Star) without thinking twice. So if we were just talking the wake/boat. Obviously, the MC is much more expensive, but the point being that "I" think it is the better boat. That would be the consensus I assume.

3. Matthew is exactly right. The depreciation on the X-Star is pretty much done; you will take just a minimal hit year to year now...close to nothing. That is always a nice advantage.

4. Quick search of boattrader found 16 possible matches, none of which was in the sub 30 categories for those years. Those are just the numbers, no saying what condition any of those boats are in. (33K to 41 K)

5. In conclusion, if you can actually find a great condition '01-'02 X-Star for sub 30....you should buy it and then sell for 33-41K. On the other hand, keep it and know you got a steal.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-28-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
I bought mine used in 02 for 38K (its an 01). It has every option except the heater and shower(racks, pp, 2 12" subs, tower speakers, LTR engine, tandem trailer, & barefoot boom)with 150hrs. I could sell it today for Probably 34K. Thats 1K a year it has cost me(in depr.), and been worth every penny.