Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (retz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-24-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
I am shopping for a used boat to wakeboard behind in Destin, FL Bay. I live on a Bayou that has glass smooth water for boarding. But I also want to be able to make the occasional cruise trip across the bay. My biggest priorities are good wake, smooth ride, and dependability.

I have been looking at a 2000' Malibu 23LSV, a 02 Supra Launch SSV, and a Toyota Epic S22 (budget of 30k drives a lot of the market). I have spent days reading all the post about salt water use, but the bottom line is that I am not going to drive 1.5 hours to go to a mediocre fresh water lake when I can go 100 ft and be in smooth brackish water. So I would like to keep the focus of the discussion on specifics to these models.

I rode in a Launch the other day on the bay, and it didn't seem bad. I haven't had a chance to test a Malibu or Epic on Bay chop.
Thanks, Joe
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-24-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
I've never been in an epic, but I won a 22SSV (2004) and ride in the 23LSV quite a bit. I'm sre you knwo this but these boats are nto meant for rough water. Light chop is fine, but anything more don't expect to drive 25-30 across the water. When my lake get real windy (white caps) I'm limited to about 15 mph or so. The 23 is a little better, it's like picking the best of the worst
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-24-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
I just sold my S22, it was pretty decent in rough water, not like an X45 or anything, but OK. I thought it was better than my previous Santerra.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-25-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
sorry for the typo ...should read "own"