Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-14-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
Looking for a site that has a discussion forum for boat motor problems. Anyone know of one. I thought I had seen inboardtalk.com mentioned, but that site doesn't seem to be around anymore.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-14-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
Look for owner forums of the various brands.

What kind of boat??

You can try here too, lot's of really knowledgable folks who enjoy helping out.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-14-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
Ask away! We might be able to help or might not, but the info is free :-) No idea about specific webpages dedicated to motor help.
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-14-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
tons of help on here, give it a try.
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-14-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
OK, Its an 05 Calabria with a 330HP Mercruiser. It has a dead spot right off idle. If you push the throttle up fast you won't notice it, but if you move it slowly, it's like the engine dies for a second and then catches again. I don't really care to take it to the dealer so I was hoping someone would have an idea of what it might be. Every once in a while it will just die while throttling down also, but that's only happened maybe three times all summer,unfortunately once while I was coming up to the dock and now I have few small gel coat cracks on the nose. Anyway, if you have any suggestions, I am open to them.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2005, 12:05 AM Reply   
Carb or EFI?
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-15-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
EFI
Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-15-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
I know that merc has a switch on their I/Os that retards the ignition for a split second when you shift into gear. A friend had this switch get out of sink and was killing the motor. Don't know if your style of motor/transmission requires this or not.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
More questions then...does it bog out in one particular spot of the throttle everytime? Can you make it do it on both acceleration and deceleration? If you move the throttle very slowly through that point do you still notice it? or does it cut out completely?

Sounds like a bad TPS aka throttle position sensor. You can sometimes test it with a digital volt ohm meter if it is really bad, but a labscope is the only sure test. Set it on 5 volt scale, 10ms divisions, peak detect on, trigger to none. Engine off, connected into the sensor signal lead (One wire will be 5 volt reference, another will be the ground, and the third wire will be the variable signal wire with about 1.0 volts with throttle closed), with the connector still installed, then open the throttle over and over fast and slow recording a movie then replay it looking for a drop out or glitch.

Take it to the dealer as the part is fairly cheap, like $60.00 max, but diagnostics are going to get complicated fast, and require high tech equipment.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-15-2005, 9:53 AM Reply   
I would agree with Peter that the TPS is the likely candidate. It's not a sure thing but the part is not that costly so it's a good place to start. If you post a couple pictures of your throttle body one of us might be able to put on an arrow on the pic pointing to it. I would recommend that you remove it and head down to your local auto parts or GM dealer to see if they can match it rather than going through a marine dealer. I doubt that it's a marine specific part but I could be wrong?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
They require adjustment when replaced, so you will need a spec and a DVOM for sure.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-15-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
Another thought, Do you have the PerfectPass on when you try this? Around 1500 RPM's the PP will be caught inbetween its engage & disengage spot.
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-15-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
It's only noticable when the throttle is moved slowly through that area. I know what a TPS is and I can find it. It does happen when throttling down, but is less noticable unless it kills the motor which has happened a few times. Thanks for pointing me the way guys, I will get a spec and check the setting of the TPS and the Tps operation itself. If it is bad I will call the dealer and see what they will do for me.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-15-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
I have had that happen before. Clogged fuel filter was the problem.
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-15-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
hey ian my 91 tristar does the same thing, i always blamed it on the clutch cause they catch at a certain rpm and when im idling through the water it doesnt always catch and it kinda "jumps"...i also never really saw it as something to worry about
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2005, 11:06 PM Reply   
Elias, yours should have a carb and the problem then would be the accelerator pump. Simple repair and a cheap part, but the carb could probably use a rebuild.

Jon, that is usually due to lack of maintence or using seriously dirty fuel. I highly doubt, although anything is possible, that a less than year old boat has a clogged fuel filter. If it would be fuel related the fuel pump would most likely be the cause, but again it is consistant where the throttle is placed right?

So in the end it still comes down to test don't guess and throw parts at it.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-15-2005, 11:31 PM Reply   
not all TPS sensors are adjustable, more are non adjustable then ones that are.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-16-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Peter,

I'm just saying tests were ran and fuel filter was the issue for me. I'm not saying it is his problem. By the way, the "dead" spot was always in the same position when accelerating. It was a 8 month old boat with 145 hours on it.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-16-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Nate is correct I looked it up and those are non adjustable TPS's. It may require a relearn procedure though (Key on engine off for one minute then 15 seconds with the key off). Not sure which motor it transfers to in the automotive field to confirm that.

Jon, I never rule out the impossible because then you spend hours figuring out it was the impossible. Although I am sure you would agree, very rare for a large fuel filter to plug so fast, which was obviously the case with your boat (nice boat BTW). That would definetely make me go buy gas somewhere else! The simplist test for a fuel pump is RPM, via a low amp probe, and if all else fails a quart of fuel in less than 30 seconds. Of course a fuel filter can also be inspected unless it is a canister instead of a cartridge.

From Jon, "tests were ran" and this is why it needs to go to the dealer to be tested and not guess at the problem. All of the above tests can be performed in less than 30 minutes with the proper test equipment.
Old     (air_bordan)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 10:38 AM Reply   
Try posting your problem on www.boatered.com and marineengine.com as well. I have gotten a bunch of good feedback for the motor problems I have had. Good Luck!
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-16-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
skiboathelp.com
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-21-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
try "SKIDIM.COM" They have a discussion page. It may be helpful.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-22-2005, 1:06 AM Reply   
Hey Ian...give me a call I will grab my tool box and come fix it for you
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-22-2005, 4:48 AM Reply   
Ian check the Perfect Pass cable. Mine use to do the exact same thing. It would also back fire out the injection if you gave it gas to fast. I found my PP cable was touching the engine cover and would change the engine rpm as the motor was running. Moving the cable has helped. Mine will still die when throttling down maybe three times a year. Seems like the computer program needs some fine tuning.