Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    tcboarder            07-15-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
im lookin into a jet pilot baller vest, its not approvied, do they still keep you afloat in the water, or what exictly do they not do to make them not approved?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-15-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
USCG approved have a certain amount of flotation and hold you face up, laying slightly back. There is a test for this supervised by the USCG. Rider's vests, as I call them, do not have the same amount of flotation material and may not hold you in the semi-reclined position. USCG vests typically have to have a lot of foam in the upper chest area to accomplish the task. This reduces mobility across the chest.

I use the Launch vest from KD (also Blindside, Double Up and Wet Tech) and like it. Easier to ride with. I have a standard vest in the boat for compliance purposes. My kids all have USCG vests on while in the boat, but a Pro Ride vest on while riding under supervision.

LT (former) USCGR
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-16-2004, 9:29 AM Reply   
Not to mention that there have been instances of people's lungs filling with water as they sink to the bottom of the lake and die with certain "outlaw" vests.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-16-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
I have never worn a CGA vest that will hold you face up laying slightly back just to offer my opinion. They do float a lot better than non but you could still drown.

Non CGA vests are good for padding and that's about it. I switched back over to CGA recently and got used to it pretty fast. In my Oneill vest, my mobility is the same and hopefully my friends/family won't have to fish my body from the bottom of the river.
Old    norcal_99            07-16-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
I wont allow anyone to ride behind my boat unless they're wearing an approved vest.
Old     (columbiatch)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
Go with a CGA vest. I own a JetPilot non-cga vest and I bought it only because it's cheaper. It'll hold you up while you're conscience, but once you pass out you're headed for the bottom. I had a few tense moments in my vest where I hit really really hard (we're talking concussion) and was really shaken up.

I'm a nationally ranked swimmer and after those impacts I still had a hard time staying above water. It's not worth the worries. The bulkier vest won't hold you back. It's just better to play it safe.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       07-17-2004, 7:35 AM Reply   
The watercops here can identify Non CGA vests and will ticket riders wearing them ( actually they ticketed me...the driver/ boat owner.)to the tune of $89.
We all ride with CGA vests now.