Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                10-10-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Ok I can get up switch, I can do surface 180's back and forth good. But when I try to just ride switch for and cut out and back in to feel out the wake, I always crash. Today I got a PHATTY numbskull from catching the heel edge with my front foot... so I come here for advice.

What is the best way for me to get riding switch down comfortably? I can do a 180 off the wake, but when I try to heel in towards the wake to 180 UP onto the wake, I eat it before I even get my edge set towards the wake! Should we slow the boat down and just let me carve back and forth fakie till I get it? Or is there a better way of doin this?
Old    alanp            10-10-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
i bought a skateboard and just practiced riding switch all winter. i looked kinda silly 26 years old riding a skateboard(like crap since it was mostly switch) but it helped. i also getup/start switch alot to and carve around while the boat is getting up speed
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-11-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
roy, just bend your knees, get low but stay balanced over the board. it will come with practice.

alan, GREAT idea for offseason
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-11-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
Commit to it. Every time you go out, do some switch ridin'. Make yourself do it. You'll get comfortable with it quicker than you think.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-12-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
My switch riding is bad also. I don't fall riding switch but I can't seem to ride in the same position as regular. I feel like I am in between a sideslide and riding regular. Is it a probelm with my hips not being in the right position or handle not in the right spot. ANy help would be great.
Old                10-12-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
same here adam. I feel like I'm not set into an edge, and when I look down, my board is just like you said, halfway between a sideslide and regular riding.

MD, I've been riding switch as much as possible, every time I go out on the last 2 trips out. I either start out switch from the pull up, or flip a surface or pop 180 into switch then ride from there. Just after a couple of hard washes, I go back to normal stance and start working my toeside edge.

Nacho- I'll try that tonight, everybody says I look REALLY squiddy when I'm switch. Like I have a look of terror on my face and I'm all stiff and stood up. I'll Try gettin a little lower and work on my body position
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-12-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
I wakeskate goofy and wakeboard regular so I don't have any problems with switch riding...
Old                10-12-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
well, I guess good for you upnorth... that doesn't help me much
Old                10-16-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
here's a vid of me on the first day trying surface 180's and riding switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMBEc2zyT1g
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-17-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
looks good roy. just stay in switch for a while. cross the wakes, ollie, etc.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-24-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
First get up switch, ride right behind the boat for a couple of minutes. Then just take short little cuts back and forth between the wake. Finally cut out side the wake and cut in slow to the wake but don't try to jump it. Just cut in and cut back out. When you get comfortable doing this try coming in and jumping one wake. Try to go a little further each time. When your really comfortable then try wake to wake. Also shorten your rope until you get the hang of it.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-23-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
I have a friend who rides very well switch. I thought he was just a natural but come to find out he ride switch and only switch behind his PWC with his girlfriend pulling just under 20mph at least once a week for 30 min. I started forcing myself to ride switch for at least one set a week and it has really helped. switch backrolls are still not a given but I am sure with more ride time they will come.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-24-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
Roy, get "The Book" educatonal DVD and check out the two minute drill. This drill will really help you improve your switch riding..
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       05-22-2007, 7:50 AM Reply   
Its all about practice, practice, practice. You have to ride switch to get comfortable and build the strength necessary to feel comfortable with the switch towside cut. You will feel a bit twisted up but much of it is probably in head (it is for me). Take your time and work on your carving and keep any jump limited to one wake. Working one wake (in and out) will help your establish better body position. Best advise, do not think about it, ride switch and simply practice your carving (light carving) to get your body used to switch stance and be patient but persistent with your switch riding. And pick-up "The Book," a must have for any aspiring wakeboarder, you will not be disappointed. The two minute drills are very helpful.