Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-12-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
So I discovered one of my old blue Fats Sacs is leaking. It is on a seam, so I am wondering if it is something that can be fixed? Patched? Would I use the same patch kit from an air matress?

Thoughts? Ideas?
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-12-2013, 11:49 AM Reply   
Try this!
http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/aquaseal#10110
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-12-2013, 3:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzy View Post
So I discovered one of my old blue Fats Sacs is leaking. It is on a seam, so I am wondering if it is something that can be fixed? Patched? Would I use the same patch kit from an air matress?

Thoughts? Ideas?
I've used a vinyl repair kit with success before... I've got a bunch of patches for various tubes and fat sacs. The seam is tricky, I blew out a seam before... I patched with numerous layers and patched down the whole seam since a pin hole popped up after I patched the initial blowout. If the seam is weak in one spot... it is probably close for the whole seam... vinyl cement and patch material. I Went to a pool store and got sample pool liner material to use as extra material to reinforce patches etc... I think that's also where I got my first thing of vinyl cement... a pool liner repair kit... and then extra sample liner

I won't step on that patch, but it has held for years... A coverless sac I've had for 11-12 years... 80 bucks has been stretched pretty thin, both literally and physically haha
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-12-2013, 8:18 PM Reply   
Sounds good. I got a buddy that works at a pool store. Maybe I will try that first & then try thr aqua seal if that doesn't hold. I should just get updated bags, but we are currently boat hunting so I hopefully only need to make these last another month or so.
THANKSS
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-13-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
Shoe goo - or the outdoor version if in the sunlight is what the canvas shops gave to me to use to fix such things.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-13-2013, 10:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzy View Post
Sounds good. I got a buddy that works at a pool store. Maybe I will try that first & then try thr aqua seal if that doesn't hold. I should just get updated bags, but we are currently boat hunting so I hopefully only need to make these last another month or so.
THANKSS
Sorry for the rambling post, I was typing as I remembered stuff from years ago. Pool liner patch kit + sample material is the way to go. Layer it as necessary. It's held for years. I've patched a bunch the same way
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-15-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
Most of these bags are a PVC based material. They can be heat welded which makes the repair as strong or stronger than the surrounding material. I used to do PVC roofing and kept all of my old heat guns. I just repaired a blown out seam last night. If you can find someone with the right heat gun they can fix like new.............
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-18-2013, 1:09 PM Reply   
Mighty Putty might work, followed by some of that flex seal stuff the guy puts on the screen door in the bottom of the row boat.
I actually have used mighty putty and as long as it isn't in contact with petroleum products like gas, it holds very well, like cement/steel strong and water tight, so long as you put it on without any air gaps.
They sell a loc-tite version of it for $3 at stores like wal-mart instead of the mighty putty $10 premium.
It's basically a solid 2 part epoxy like JB weld. Very strong solid stuff and cheap too.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-18-2013, 5:04 PM Reply   
Great story that I forgot about until I read this thread

Although I don't recommend this quick fix but the damn thing lasted 2 years! I got a puncture on the bottom of bag from a screw and it was leaking all over the carpet in my Supra. Impatient as hell, as we wanted to ride, I went to my truck, found some PVC Pipe Cleaner/Glue with a plastic grocery bag, then slapped it on. Most importantly, I tried this because we used to successfully use a water bed patch, back in the day when the bags were real cheap materials.