Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    robertt            07-11-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
I think the next step in my micro bling boat is to add some interior lighting. We spend a ton of time in the boat at night, just kicking back and swimming. The mastercraft X7 has pretty good lighting already, so I just want to add a little…and here are the questions. Thanks again for all of your help guys and gals, it really does make a big difference to the less experienced ones.

As far as where I want them…well…I would think that replacing the stock ones on the side ski locker area is a must, adding a little one under the dash/kick panel, rear storage locker, two “focused” type beams to throw some light under the back seat from the sides, and finally, inside the rear vents, hopefully a handle/tow handle in the back.

Questions:

1. LED vs Neon. I realize LED lasts longer and uses less juice, but is there anything else to factor in?
2. Colored vs white? The boat is yellow with dark grey carpet, the stock lights have a bluish tint, and I would love to continue that theme but is that a mistake? Red seems too hard on the eyes for continuous use.
3. Is there any reason not to just connect to the existing courtesy light circuit, especially if I use LED’s?
4. Any advice on how to run the wires?
5. Lastly, pick them up on Ebay or do you guys have a good connection?

The theme on this boat is fast easy install for the average guy that just doesn’t want to spend the time on a huge install, yet having something different on the lake.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-11-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
IMO lights under the swim platform are fun.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
i was thinking of adding some lights in the back v-drive compartments when you open them, and i wonder if the ones that they sell for truck beds would work....
Old    robertt            07-11-2005, 12:59 PM Reply   
Also, I wonder how hard it would be to add one little one in each speaker. That would set things off nicely.

I saw a post somewhere that basically had a little chrome LED light that had 3 or 4 leds in a circle, and two screws that held it in place. To me, that may be the right thing for those spot areas. I am thinking about the rope lights for the sides.

Anyway, I hope you guys can give us some input.

Old     (wakespecialty)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-11-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
something like this? we replaced the stock clarion's in our '03 SANTE with these 6.5" Diamond D6's. We added a surface mounted LED strip behind the tweeter for a subtle accent.
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-11-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
I've got LEDs pretty much all over the interior of my X2 (Star). I've got 2 strips of LEDs under my dash and 2 in the passenger's compartment. There are 3 LED pods across the rear seat support, and then LED pods in each of my old 1" dome tweeters.

I also have an LED strip under the sub box to light up my etching. As you can tell from my pics I have the red and don't have any problems with it at all.

Neil Fett (bigasswake) did most of the work on my boat. I've got all the LEDs wired to the "Interior Lights" switch on my dash and then jumpered in the sub LEDs to the NAV/ANC light so it's always on.

Old    robertt            07-11-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
Very cool, where did you get them? Ebay???? Is there a quality difference? What type did you put into the speakers?
Old    robertt            07-11-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
Ok, now I am getting excited. The more time I waste and work and look at pictures, the more I want to do this....

A question of color.

I really like blue, it gives off this almost spooky "cool" look, but my guages are red. Would it be hokey to have blue leds in a boat with red guage lights, or does that not matter?

Red lights certainly are not bad either, I just cant decide.

Should you stick with white in the glove box?

The boat is yellow...but I dont know about yellow lights. Hmmmm.

Thoughts?
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-11-2005, 2:42 PM Reply   
blue is sick... but might clash. yellow boat, red existing lights.. ya know? Staying red is safe
Old     (drifter1136)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-11-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
I just installed blue LEDs from varad in my sport nautique, I just cut the original lights and wired them in so it uses the existing switch on the dash. I got them at www.cardomain.com you get four in a pack and there only $12.95. My dash has red backlighting and I don't think it looks bad together.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-11-2005, 6:15 PM Reply   
I found some cool lighting at Boaters World on closeout. It is like rope lighting but it works off 12vdc. You can cut it to length and it came with clips to hold it. It was 10$. The only color they have left at the one near me is green :-( I used red.

I wired it and some homemade LED lights into my factory courtesy light circuit, works like a champ.
Old     (patoloco)      Join Date: May 2002       07-11-2005, 7:42 PM Reply   
brian (drifter1136) - do you have an pics? I was thinking of adding some lighting to my air.
Old     (lsurulzes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-14-2005, 12:56 PM Reply   
If you dont mind spending the little amount of time figuring out how to use a Resistance Calc. you can probably do your whole boat for under 20 dollars or so. You can get the leds, wire, and resistors from 123leds.com for exremely cheap. And the calculator can be found at http://www.luxeonstar.com/resistor-calculator.php.
Granted some may not want to take the time, but this is just an option I was throwing out for you. If you do decide to do this and need some help, you can email me at lsurulzes88@yahoo.com
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-14-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Robert, I have the MC red gauges and blue neon in the boat, with blue Led's behind the speaker grills. If you want some pics let me know and I'll shoot them your way. I wouldn't go with neon, you have to have a transformer for them. If LEDs would have been cheaper at the time I would have done them instead.
Old    robertt            07-14-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
I am thinking blue! Its just an spooky looking glow, which is exactly what I want.

Yes, pictures would be perfect....you can email them to me at robertt@parkway-inc.com

I am going to go with all LED's, under the assumption that I can piggyback them onto my existing stock courtesy light circuit. My X7 has a separate switch that controls about five lights around the boat that is not tied to the navigation lights, so it should be perfect.

How big of a pain was it to mount them on the speakers?

I just got in my tower speakers, and was planning on running the wire tonight. Think I should pull a light circuit to the tower at the same time?

Off the topic question...one speaker wire to the tower speakers (series), or two separate wires????????????????
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-14-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
Would it be possible to integrate the LED's into the amp signal somehow so they blink & glow in time with the music? Might be groovery for a towerbox?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-15-2005, 12:19 AM Reply   
Darren, funny because I was just looking for LED rock lights and found this "music interface module that beats to the music"
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-18-2005, 9:33 PM Reply   
http://www.litupelectronics.com/litup/pictures.html

If anybody needs anything feel free to contact me at anytime

Ive worked on almost every wakeboard boat and can help you with anything you may need.

All of my contact info is on my website
} Neil Fett
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-18-2005, 10:03 PM Reply   
I did blue LED lighting in my Sport Nautique.

My advice

1. Do LED

2. I would do colored. Blue will look good on the grey I think

3. I connected them to the interior lights. I just disconnected the bulbs in the stock locations.

4. I just ran the wires where I could. This is pretty boat dependent.

5. I got lucky and found LED's on clearance at Target for very cheap.

The install was easy - but took longer then I thought.

Here are some pictures. You asked about the glove box. I have a smoked glass cover with lights inside. Picture attached.

Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-19-2005, 12:40 AM Reply   
kevin,

The led's you put in, are those strips or clusters? how many lights are in each location? Is there a way to dim them? I've heard LED's are prety bright??
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-19-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
They are strips of lights. Each strip has about 7 LED's.

3 strips lined up under each of the sidwalls
2 strips under the dash
1 strip under the driver seat
1 strip in each of the rear corners
1 strip in the glovebox

They are not setup to dim. I never even thought of that. I don't think the LED's are too bright. You can always angle them to be direct or indirect depending on location and how bright you want it.

Hope this helps
Kevin
Old    robertt            07-19-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
Kevin, that looks awesome. I am now sold on blue for sure!!!

A couple of questions:

1. Do you have any exposed lights? I would like to have a couple fairly exposed to throw light a little farther, but don't want hot spots to blind people. Is that an issue? I am talking about the rear corners mostly. I can always tuck them under a little I guess.

2. I can find plenty of very cheap LED lights, lets face it. They are everywhere now, including every corner auto mart. The question is if they are as good of a quality. I assume the led lights themselves are, but what about the mounting. In at least one place I need the lights to be completely waterproof. Is it worth it to spring for the more expensive lights?
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
Hi,

If you look at the corners from the right angle they are "exposed". To make them look right you generally want them to be tucked behind something. You can only see the corners if you are looking straight into the corner..which was not a big deal to me.

The lights I have are the cheapest of the cheap. I got them at Target for $4 for a strip of 2 lights. The power wires are so thin they are almost impossible to work with. I would buy the cheap ones. Mine have held up through a good amount of use this year. If you are going to submerge any of them then I think that is a different story. I bet Neil (Bigasswake) has an opinion on what to use for that. I don't have any under the water.
Old    robertt            07-20-2005, 12:21 PM Reply   
Thanks,

I tried to email you Neil (bigasswake) to no avail:-)

shoot me an email at robertt@parkway-inc.com
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-26-2005, 6:02 AM Reply   
Robert you have mail
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-12-2005, 2:17 PM Reply   
This is a GREAT thread!

Neil: You have MORE mail.
Old     (bluereefrider)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
How do you get the led's underneath the swim platform without running them down the back. i have a '04 vlx and don't want to drill a hole without knowing other possible ways first.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-26-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
While your at it, does anyone mount them to the transom. I love the idea but I reomve the swim platform to garage my boat.

I guess I could put quick disconnects in iline but still a pain in the a**