Articles
   
       
Pics/Video
       
Wake 101
   
       
       
Shop
Search
 
 
 
 
 
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Share 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-09-2016, 8:22 AM Reply   
Little birdie told me Mastercraft is working on a new flagship wakeboard boat with the star not living up to the hype. Any guesses? Big deep boat?
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-09-2016, 11:27 AM Reply   
I have no real sources, but the factory reps at the boat show told me, last year, they'd be surprised if the X-star made it much longer. Got the feeling they looked at it as a dinosaur in the industry. Sad, since I'd like to get one after they come down in price in the aftermarket to replace my 08 star.
Cheers,
DC
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-09-2016, 12:43 PM Reply   
I've heard this from some mastercraft insiders as well. Whatever it is, maybe they can take a good look at what Supra/Nautique/Malibu are doing and put a decent hull under their flagship boat.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2016, 12:58 AM Reply   
Hard to think about someone calling the X-star a dinosaur... however I think most would agree that the current hull didn't live up to the hype, wasn't as good as the previous version, and doesn't compare to the G. The first pickle-fork Xstar launched in 2003 is still one of the best wakes out there.

Whatever it is, it will cost $200,000. Mastercraft has long been the ones pushing the pricing envelope and it all started when the current Xstar was launched. The flagship model was under $90k even in like 2008-2009. If memory serves me correct it was the current version of the Xstar that first broke $100k as any manufacturers flagship wake boat.

Will be some interesting debate on here when it gets close to launching, we can at least count on that.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2016, 1:00 AM Reply   
Oh, and I'm just assuming there is something coming and don't know anything. Sorry, I can't add anything in the way of a credible source to the rumor about a new MC boat.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-10-2016, 8:03 AM Reply   
Mastercraft is out of the wakeboard specific branding, its wakesurf or multipurpose boats from here on out
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-11-2016, 7:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Hard to think about someone calling the X-star a dinosaur... however I think most would agree that the current hull didn't live up to the hype, wasn't as good as the previous version, and doesn't compare to the G. The first pickle-fork Xstar launched in 2003 is still one of the best wakes out there.

Whatever it is, it will cost $200,000. Mastercraft has long been the ones pushing the pricing envelope and it all started when the current Xstar was launched. The flagship model was under $90k even in like 2008-2009. If memory serves me correct it was the current version of the Xstar that first broke $100k as any manufacturers flagship wake boat.

Will be some interesting debate on here when it gets close to launching, we can at least count on that.
I believe the 2008 Models broke $100k when fully loaded. (at least MSRP) I know the 40th Anniversary model retailed over $100k. But either way, here we are 8 years later and MSRPs are over $100k MORE now!
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-11-2016, 8:37 AM Reply   
The Xstar is a deep V boat and It is a hell of a boat. I think this post is a little silly. I would be shocked if MC dropped the most iconic brand in the wakeboard world. (I'm a Malibu guy through and through).

I believe a redesign might happen or a "game changer" monster boat, but ditching the Xstar brand.....nah.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-11-2016, 3:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Mastercraft is out of the wakeboard specific branding, its wakesurf or multipurpose boats from here on out
I would have to agree.

With the latest x-star getting blown out of the water by the G23 and with the release M235 they may be better off throwing more money at becoming a high end inboard runabout company.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-11-2016, 5:53 PM Reply   
^ I always love the comments like this over here on WW.

Whether you want to admit it, or not, MC still has plenty of fantastic hulls in their lineup. Sure, the XStar got outshined by the G23 release. That still doesn't mean it's not a fantastic wakeboarding boat. (Surfs excellent with gen2 as well).

No wakeboarding boat was better than the G when it came out. So maybe all of the other companies should just quit......



Quote:
Originally Posted by skiboarder View Post
The Xstar is a deep V boat and It is a hell of a boat. I think this post is a little silly. I would be shocked if MC dropped the most iconic brand in the wakeboard world. (I'm a Malibu guy through and through).

I believe a redesign might happen or a "game changer" monster boat, but ditching the Xstar brand.....nah.
The XStar is absolutely not a deep-v. In fact, it is as far from a deep v as you can be.

I will definitely agree that it is a hell of a boat though!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-11-2016, 7:20 PM Reply   
its really not about the boat, its about the buyer. the x star is a killer boat but the market is buying multi purpose boats, older buyers, larger boats, and less boarding specific, no different when v drives pushed the ski boat out of the market, yes, their are a few who buy ski boats, but its the multi purpose boats the consumer is buying today. its way to expensive for the level of overall performance vs many others. Those who want to say " I have an x star" will still buy one. MC is very ferrari, in regards to their past success. Those who wanted that "ferrari" bought MC years ago. Thats changed and the new market is no longer following the old trends. I see boat pricing collapsing and the next phase will be real budget boats. You can get a great wake or wave from all the current v drives, so most do not need the bells and whistles. ( and the bells and whistles are a joke for the price)

if this was the auto industry that just released steering wheel controls as the "cutting edge" they would be laughed out of the market. I get it, i am a fool who buys in, but its expendable income, if it where not, i would not pine for a touch screen (iPad 200 bucks, wow cutting edge) on my boat, drop the price of the x star and people will start buying them again, not for the performance, but for the status, just like the last 8 years of sales.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-11-2016, 7:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
^ I always love the comments like this over here on WW.

Whether you want to admit it, or not, MC still has plenty of fantastic hulls in their lineup. Sure, the XStar got outshined by the G23 release. That still doesn't mean it's not a fantastic wakeboarding boat. (Surfs excellent with gen2 as well).

No wakeboarding boat was better than the G when it came out. So maybe all of the other companies should just quit......





The XStar is absolutely not a deep-v. In fact, it is as far from a deep v as you can be.

I will definitely agree that it is a hell of a boat though!
Fantastic hulls? I'd love to which ones you would deem fantastic. To me, a fantastic hull is one that can satisfy the most hardcore of wakeboarders as well as the most hardcore of surfers. As I indicated above, I truly believe that Supra, Malibu, and Nautique are the only brands that have hulls capable of doing that. The 2nd gen X-Star was hands down the best wakeboard boat on the market at the time. Now there is not a single boat in the MC line-up that is hands down the best at anything, which is a shame because almost every one of their boats is now designed to wakeboard or wakesurf, never both.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-12-2016, 6:47 AM Reply   
X10, X30 (especially), X25, and X23 are all great hulls for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing. X46 is also a great hull design, however, they should have equipped it with far more ballast.

And as far as "all around" hulls are concerned, the X30 is, IMO, the best hull available from any manufacturer. Awesome wakeboard wake, awesome surf wake, and one of the best slalom wakes of any 23' vdrive. Same could certainly be said for the 23LSV, which has very similar characteristics.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-12-2016, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixable View Post
X10, X30 (especially), X25, and X23 are all great hulls for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing. X46 is also a great hull design, however, they should have equipped it with far more ballast.

And as far as "all around" hulls are concerned, the X30 is, IMO, the best hull available from any manufacturer. Awesome wakeboard wake, awesome surf wake, and one of the best slalom wakes of any 23' vdrive. Same could certainly be said for the 23LSV, which has very similar characteristics.
lol
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-12-2016, 7:52 AM Reply   
^ Your ignorance is noted.

Either that, or I need to recheck the fit on my Nautique goggles.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-12-2016, 11:38 AM Reply   
I agree with Eric, Mastercraft has some excellent hull shapes. The X23 IMO being the best of the current available in terms of being most usable (with some exception to slalom). It surfs very well and it wakeboards very decently! The XStar, well, IMO...kind of lost it's way with the latest hull design and needs some revamping. I am currently moving from an '08 XStar to a '16 G23 but tried like hell to like the newer XStars. In all honesty, the one thing that steered me away from them the most was the fact that you really have to fine tune them and add a lot of weight to get them to where the G23 is right out of the box (which in turn gives the G a ton more available storage)! I feel that is a huge reason a lot of people are moving away from the XStar, it's just too finicky. And most of the time, even dealers don't know how to set them up to really show off their qualities! I've personally seen what the new ones can do with surfing (Gen2 necessary) and wakeboarding and it's amazing (rode in Rusty Malinowski's old all red XStar a few weeks ago)...IF you know how to set them up! The X23 sells more because it's easier for the average operator to set up and just go! I personally don't want to see the "XStar" line go away...I would simply love to see Mastercraft do a FULL ON redesign of their flagship and put themselves back on top including ease of operation!!

Last edited by beg4wake; 04-12-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-13-2016, 9:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttime41 View Post
Fantastic hulls? I'd love to which ones you would deem fantastic. To me, a fantastic hull is one that can satisfy the most hardcore of wakeboarders as well as the most hardcore of surfers. As I indicated above, I truly believe that Supra, Malibu, and Nautique are the only brands that have hulls capable of doing that. The 2nd gen X-Star was hands down the best wakeboard boat on the market at the time. Now there is not a single boat in the MC line-up that is hands down the best at anything, which is a shame because almost every one of their boats is now designed to wakeboard or wakesurf, never both.
Oh the joys of WW.

You truly must be smoking some of that the MOJO. The X23 is hands down the best surf boat out of the gate between CC, Malibu and Supra. The G requires a lot more weight to even be close an X23 then you lose the rear storage. I was between the G and the X23 last summer and the reason I went with the X23 was because of the hull. The G is a sweet boat and has a lot of great features but the V hull on the X23 hull extends all the way through the rear of the boat where the G is completely flat. The Rough water ride was crucial for me and the X23 handled Chop way better than the G. My X23 can satisfy whoever rides and they are always happy and impressed with the wake/wave. Go ride one with someone that has one and spent time with the boat and you will be amazed with the output form the boat. I have added Zero additional weight to my boat and the wave is awesome every time for both the port and starboard side.
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       04-13-2016, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Oh the joys of WW.

You truly must be smoking some of that the MOJO. The X23 is hands down the best surf boat out of the gate between CC, Malibu and Supra. The G requires a lot more weight to even be close an X23 then you lose the rear storage. I was between the G and the X23 last summer and the reason I went with the X23 was because of the hull. The G is a sweet boat and has a lot of great features but the V hull on the X23 hull extends all the way through the rear of the boat where the G is completely flat. The Rough water ride was crucial for me and the X23 handled Chop way better than the G. My X23 can satisfy whoever rides and they are always happy and impressed with the wake/wave. Go ride one with someone that has one and spent time with the boat and you will be amazed with the output form the boat. I have added Zero additional weight to my boat and the wave is awesome every time for both the port and starboard side.
I disagree with part of this....not the part that the X23 is a great boat though. However, I actually preferred the G's surf wave to that of the X23. The X had a little more meat and size, but I felt the G had more push and a cleaner lip (stock ballast on both). Now that is all personal preference considering some people like a softer/taller wave. However, considering the G won best surf boat for its second year in a row over the X, I'd say it is a lot of peoples preference and not just mine. I won't argue though that the X handles chop a lot better, but that wasn't a huge concern for me when looking at the 2. And while the X23's wakeboard wake was very good, IMO, it still didn't compare to that of the G. When I tested new boats, the X23 was on my top 3. It took 3rd behind the Supra SA which took 2nd to the G. X23 was better in surf than the SA, but the SA had better wake, and I'm still more concerned with wake than wave. But in my opinion....all 3 boats were better (out of the box) than the latest XStar...which is what this thread is about.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-13-2016, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
I disagree with part of this....not the part that the X23 is a great boat though. However, I actually preferred the G's surf wave to that of the X23. The X had a little more meat and size, but I felt the G had more push and a cleaner lip (stock ballast on both). Now that is all personal preference considering some people like a softer/taller wave. However, considering the G won best surf boat for its second year in a row over the X, I'd say it is a lot of peoples preference and not just mine. I won't argue though that the X handles chop a lot better, but that wasn't a huge concern for me when looking at the 2. And while the X23's wakeboard wake was very good, IMO, it still didn't compare to that of the G. When I tested new boats, the X23 was on my top 3. It took 3rd behind the Supra SA which took 2nd to the G. X23 was better in surf than the SA, but the SA had better wake, and I'm still more concerned with wake than wave. But in my opinion....all 3 boats were better (out of the box) than the latest XStar...which is what this thread is about.
You are right, surf wave is very much personal preference. The G that I rode was a 2015 so it did not have the hull changes so maybe that makes a difference. I ride goofy so that was also a major factor when choosing a boat and I find that the G(2015) goofy wave wasn't nearly as good.

There is no doubt the wakeboard wake is better but its a completely different type of wake. But the G is awesome for wakeboarding. The Xstar is awesome for wakeboarding when you know how to set it up for both surfing and wakeboarding. We don't have a dealer in CC dealer in Louisiana so that also played a role into our decision to go with MC.

I think the people sip on the G Kool-Aid a bit to much, and I would imagine the majority of people voting for that award have barely ridden the G much less the X23 or the other boats in the contest. The results are a bit skewed.

The moral of the story is that you cant go wrong with any of these boats and for the moron above to say MC doesn't make good hulls is probably the same moron that hasn't ridden an X23 or many of the MC lineup and voted for the G because of what her heard.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-13-2016, 3:39 PM Reply   
Meanwhile, in MC's design room...
Attached Images
   
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-13-2016, 5:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
Mastercraft is out of the wakeboard specific branding, its wakesurf or multipurpose boats from here on out


I'm not sure if you are saying you are desiring them to do this...or joking about them doing this...

Either way, it's probably a good idea for their business plan. I suppose this was the big story back when skiing went the way of the dodo bird also.

Kids simply aren't that into wakeboarding anymore. I help out at some pretty hardcore high school church camps during the summer with my boat and I hate to say I am normally the best wakeboarder on the boat...and darn near the best at the camp (and I am fairly pathetic at it). 3 or 4 years ago there would be good groups of kids throwing decent tricks. Last summer I had literally one kid out of probably 150 complete a wake 2 wake and it took him some effort.

They all want to surf or tube...and based off what I see at my lake the best boat for tubing is either a Malibu Wakesetter or a Mastercraft X45

Reply
Share 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:25 PM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home

 

© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us