Wake 101
Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old     (BGeorge01)      Join Date: May 2014       07-27-2015, 9:07 PM Reply   
I'm about to buy a depth finder for my moomba outback. I would like to know what is everyone's opinion, thru hull or on the transom, which is better place for it? I don't mind drilling the hole if the thru hull is better. Thanks for the wise words!!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-28-2015, 12:18 AM Reply   
I installed one on my last boat. It was a thru hull. All I did was squirt a bunch of clear rtv in the spot I wanted it and stuck the puck in it. Worked just fine for the 9 years I had that boat. Make sure to clean the spot with some acetone first.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
Lowest point is how I prefer it.
Old     (onthecreek)      Join Date: Apr 2013       07-28-2015, 9:02 AM Reply   
Thru hull means the signal shoots through the hull, not drill thru the hull.

Most wakeboats and inboards in general have thru hull, not transom.
Old     (BGeorge01)      Join Date: May 2014       07-28-2015, 7:20 PM Reply   
^^^^^ahhh that's where I was confused, I thought I had to drill through the bottom of the boat.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2015, 8:20 PM Reply   
Use slow cure epoxy to glue transducer to hull. Fast cure epoxy causes air bubbles, flexible adhesives will cause erratic and false readings. Place transducer in a Ziploc full of water and place it in the bottom of hull where you want to mount it then take the boat out to make sure readings are working. Tracking fins and underwater gear causes turbulence and in the turbulence is air bubbles. The transducer works off sound waves bouncing the waves off the bottom then counting how long it takes the waves to return. Air bubbles will cause not all the sound to return to the transducer. Mine is opposite side of the keel from the PP. Keep in mind it can't shoot through wood, foam or cored fiberglass, so my Sanger has a plywood delta pad glassed under drive train so mine wouldn't work under engine or v-drive.
Old     (BGeorge01)      Join Date: May 2014       07-28-2015, 9:11 PM Reply   
Ok so which is better then, in-hull, thru hull, or transom?
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-29-2015, 9:38 AM Reply   
My thru-hull is at the center of my boat, near the drain plug, so I get a warning before my prop gets to shallow. Seems better to get a warning before you run something over, just a thought.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 AM.

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
Wake World Home


© 2016 eWake, Inc.    
Advertise    |    Contact    |    Terms of Use    |    Privacy Policy    |    Report Abuse    |    Conduct    |    About Us