Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-04-2011, 1:59 PM Reply   
Hey guys...I am hoping someone on here can give me some advice.

I have a 96 Ford Clubwagon XLT Van 5.8L with 224,000mi that has been sitting for 4 years. It runs like a champ. It has a new rear end (replaced 4 years ago) and we had them rebuild torque converter (transmission) around the same time.

But, the van has seen better days. It looks like the left side exhaust manifold has a crack in it and likely needs to be replaced.

The ignition switch wing nut type thing broke, so although the key still turns, I'm assuming that the ignition switchshould be replaced.

It also needs the door handles on the side swing out doors and the handle assembly on the back door replaced.

In addition, one of the bench seats has been removed and lost (don't ask me how that happens?!?!?!! lol).

It is unregistered and they said it would be about $500+ to get it current.

Is it worth fixing everything and selling it? I can get parts at or near cost...but I'm wondering how much labor is gonna be involved.

Or...would my best bet be to just take the hit and donate it? Any reccomendations on places that take vehicles? How does the vehicle donation process even work? Excuse my ingorance, but I always thought I'd just sell the thing, but at this point is it worth putting the money in it to fix it then sell it?

Or...I guess the other option would be to sell it as is? Do you think anywone would even want it? Any help/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

THanks!

Dan
Old    bigdtx            11-04-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
I had a 1990 subaru with 180K miles on it. I just wanted it gone so I called these guys: http://cars.iaai.com/
They gave me a small amount of cash (you can negotiate with them a bit) but more importantly a tow truck came the next day and it was gone - hassle free.
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-04-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
Did you get a tax write-off too?
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       11-04-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
Nevermind...I opened the link...i was thinking it was a charity.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-05-2011, 12:25 AM Reply   
do not put any money into it, try craigs list, a lot of people want something that just runs(they would be happy with it) be honest disclose everything you said here. Then, if(when) it doesn't sell just call the scrap people, you should get at least 150 for it and you wasted no money and little time.
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       11-05-2011, 8:44 AM Reply   
Last year or so we donated an old Honda Accord to Purple Heart. The picked it up for free and auctioned it off. All I had to have was the title in hand when they picked it up, and no it was not in running condition when they picked it up. They auctioned it off, sent me the paperwork for the tax deduction and it was that easy. Best of all Purple Heart uses some of the proceeds to help out wounded and disabled veterans.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-05-2011, 4:20 PM Reply   
Dont put any money in it. You willnever get that back. Sell as is and be honest and take what you can get for it. Ask 1500 and see what offers you get. I have scaped a few and here in Fl a full size van would bring atleast 400. I helped a buddy get 2 ready fro the scrap yard..you have to take the gas tanks out here in Fl. But he had a full size ford and full size chevy and got 1100 for the pair at the scarp yard. And of course you could always call salvation army they take vech. that run and will send a tow truck out to pick them up.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       11-07-2011, 6:26 AM Reply   
You can always donate it to any local fire depatment. They use old cars for training. Jaws of life, rescue/extraction, rigging etc. Its a write-off and it goes to a good cause. my .02 anyway.