Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ShaunCope10)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-03-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
Its about that time for me to be purchasing a new vest, and i was curious to see everyones opinion on wearing a coast guard approved vest vs. a non coast guard approved vest
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-03-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
Have you tried searching the forums? This topic has been covered several times in past threads.
Old     (ShaunCope10)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-03-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
I don't even know how to do that, im new to this web site lol!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-03-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
Welcome to the site, but warning, you are about to ignite a sheet storm. And more than likely, after reading through about 50 posts, you will be even more in the dark about this issue than when this thread begins.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-03-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
Good question Shaun

Well it really depends on how you ride honestly. If you have been riding a while and are pretty experienced id say go ahead and get a comp. But I would not suggest wearing one unless you are very experienced. I had a buddy who was fairly a beginner, he had w2w hs and ts, he would ask to borrow my vest but i would always give him the cga. Those first few seasons usually give you some of the worst blows to the head.....

It also depends on a lot of other things like

do you have an experienced person you trust pulling you?

do you plan on riding cable a lot (i see you live in austin so i would not be surprised if you would be riding tsr a lot)

and well, are the benefits of the vest being smaller and lighter and thinner worth the risk of getting knocked out and sinking to the bottom?

YOUR BOAT DRIVER MATTERS. say you are wearing a comp and you take a bad fall, is your boat drive experienced enough to recognize that you are most likely knocked out and will be able to turn around fast enough to help you. (even if you are wearing a cga, make sure you trust your driver... duh)

If you are looking at comp vest though, i think the checkmate probably floats the most without sacrificing comfort and mobility
Old     (ShaunCope10)      Join Date: Nov 2010       01-04-2011, 7:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for the insight stephen! that was pretty helpful.

Does anyone have an opinion on the jetpilot a-10 molded
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-04-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
The JP A-10 has just about the least flotation of any vest on the market. It is very comfortable but does not come close to floating you. I use one all the time.

I like the JP Murray, it is awesome for a CGA vest. Also Hyperlite's Catalyst non-CGA has lots of float and it has two buckles so you can get away with it at the cable.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-04-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
The JP A-10 is in my opinion one of the most uncomfortable Non-CGAs ever.

Non-CGA: Anything O'Neill is my suggestion... I have the Checkmate and it's amazingly comfortable but isn't gonna float you (just like most other Non-coasties)

CGA: JP Murray is rad and hands down the most widely used CGA on the market.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-04-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
You won't 'get away with' a non-CGA vest if you are knocked out and lungs full of water. Glub.

I second the vote for the Murray Full Metal Jacket, and I also like Oniell Law and LF Watson CGA side entry.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-04-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
*I wear a non-coast gaurd vest.

The problem with non coast gaurd vests is that there is no standard. It dosen't mean that it will not float you, but it might not. I've borrowed non-coast gaurd vests that were no safer than skins, but mine floats me very well. If you go non-coast gaurd make sure to try it first. They won't demo vests, but I would not buy a non coast gaurd vest that I had not worn before.

WARNING: There are vests on the market that will let you drowned!!!
-------Don't know why, but there are.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-04-2011, 8:33 PM Reply   
I ride with the JP A-10. I think its comfortable and floats me as much as I want it to. IMO it's as flexible as they come.
WARNING: There are vests on the market that will let you drowned!!! I'm not saying I disagree with this at all but back in 2005 I was in a jet-ski accident in which I was wearing a CGA jacket. I was knocked unconscious and face down in the water.... luckily for me there was someone close by to get me out of the water. Wearing a CGA vest is better but its not perfect.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-05-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
Yea floating face down is a big issue. You will be hard pressed to find a vest that is both comfortable and will turn you upright.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-05-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
To give a little more suport to the CGA side of things, it would have been hard for Parker's friend to flip him over had he been sinking because his vest didnt float him.
Helium vests are pretty popular as well, I really like mine, it has good length, great flotation, and my SWAT helps me fake a 6 pack.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-05-2011, 7:13 PM Reply   
CGA vests don't have to roll you over. There are several types. As a safety precaution, I never wakeboard alone. I at least bring driver, if just to roll me over, in case I get knocked out.

I'm warning about the vests that let you sink. There are several.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-05-2011, 8:02 PM Reply   
I have tried several CGA vests looking for the lightest and most flexible. For me, the Helium CGA SWAT and the LF Watson CGA are the best. The Helium is more comfortable for me, but the LF is incredibly light for a CGA.

If you really want to know how well your vest works, jump in and blow all the air out of your lungs and see what happens.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-05-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
"CGA vests don't have to roll you over. There are several types. As a safety precaution, I never wakeboard alone. I at least bring driver, if just to roll me over, in case I get knocked out."

That's a good idea, always bring a driver when you go wakeboarding.
Old     (hamislice)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-13-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
Ten-80 has some sick new vests you should check out..... http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d=153635816029