Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (andyrage1)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-18-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Some of my friends are starting to ride and they need some advice on getting up. I made them all watch The Book getting up section, but it doesn't help when we're on the water, they fall and can't remember what to do.

I've been telling them for the most part to have their arms locked and knees bent into their chest.

With one rider, she encountered a problem where the boat would lift her butt out of the water, but she'd still be crouched down in a fetal position and unable to stand up without bending her arms and falling over the board. Any suggestions/other nuggets of wisdom? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-18-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
Always tell them to do 3 things. Any more than that and they get 'lost' trying to think too much.

#1. Set up in a cruched ball position with arms straight...I don't think 'locked' is a good idea...let the boat pull you, don't try to pull back.

#2. As the boat starts to pull keep having them repeat this to themselves..."Pull my heels to my butt, pull my heels to my butt". The biggest mistake beginners make is thinking they are trying to get the board 'on top' of the water. That's not true, they should be trying to pull it 'under' the water and let Bernoulli's principle work for them.

#3. Once they are up, it's not a race to stand...stay crouched and rotate the handle to your lead hip (right for goofy, left for regular).

I just keep saying, "Bring your heels to your butt" It works for everyone who is under 200 lbs and strong enough to hold on to the rope. For big guys...well, get a bigger board than a 139 :-)
Old     (verruckt32)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-15-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Something that works for us is telling people to imagine the feeling of someone helping you up from a seated position on the ground. Know what I mean?
Old     (jjgag60)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-16-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Always have them practice on dry land first. Using your rope have them grab the handle and sit on the ground. Get them into the crouched ball and then slowly pull on the rope. The first couple of pulls are only for them to rock up onto their heels,so they are still in a squatting position (heels to butt). Don't let them fully stand up until they have practice this for a couple of times.Then pull them up allowing them to stand.

I am finding for young adults over 16 who think they can muscle their way up is to have them sit on the edge of the dock and try dock starts first. It usually pops them up quicker and they feel the sensation before I start doing deep water starts.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-30-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
I agree to always tell people 3 things. Mine are a little different but they go like this.

1) Keep your arms locked out and even think about pushing your hands toward the boat.

2)Start with your elbows on the outside of your knees. (It's OK that they lift off as you come up.)

3)Stay crunched up. This means keeping your knees close to your chest and your heels close to your bootie.

Getting up happens in two steps:

Step 1: Getting on your feet (by doing the 3 steps listed above).

Step 2: Standing up.

For practice: While on the trampoline, dock, or back of the boat, I gently pull the rope and get students to rock to their heels just so they know what a minor movement this is. They should be on the balls of their feet sitting on their heels. Then I get them to stand up using 100% legs while continuing to focus on pushing their hands toward the boat (standing tall).

If that doesn't work, have them start off a tube. Never fails.

Two most common problems with 1st Timers is 1)Pulling with their hands, and 2)Straightening their legs and/or trying to stand up right away.

Get on your feet - then stand up.