Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-17-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Can anyone here see a downside to 19" rims on a trailer? Dug around, and tires don't seem to be hard to come by in a 255/40 R19 .... nor outrageously priced, compared to their 45 series 18" counterpart, for that matter.

The wheel I'm looking for has been discontinued but the manufacturer does have one set of 19's in the warehouse. But that's it!
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-17-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
Be sure to compare offsets, and you may need to trim fenders. Depends on the trailer. I would also look at load rating on the tires...
Old     (zammer)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-17-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
I'm putting 20's on my trailer in the next week or so, the only thing I'm not sure about is how much it will effect the Gas Mileage, other then that I'm pretty pumped to throw them on!
Anyone have experience with gas mileage changes??
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-17-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Already checked the offsets.... actually the trailer hasn't been built yet. The manufacturer will have the wheels and tires before it is... so the manufacturer might be able to work around the wheel some. Hopefully.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
no changes in my mileage due to larger wheels on trailer
Old     (zammer)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-18-2008, 5:46 AM Reply   
I weighed my 20's last night and they are 18lbs heavier then stock (48 vs 30), so they will have more rotating mass. Maybe having a larger wheel with more weight can help keep momentum when pulling at highway speeds. I would think that the stopping distance would increase as the trailer brakes will have to work harder to slow the larger wheels down. That would be a downside Tanner..
Also have to watch the curbs!
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-18-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
If you are concerned about weight of the wheels you might want to check out Centerline Wheels. There wheels are supposedto be much lighter than others.

www.centerlinewheels.com
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-18-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Actually the only thing I'm concerned about is the oddball size (although I know tons of cars run it).

I know sizes like 16.5" and 17" rims have been known to come off their bead (of course that's in an offroad situation and usually when aired down)
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-18-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
FYI- If you use passenger tires, with "P" series markings instead of trailer tires, with "ST" series markings, the load ratings have to be derated to still meet DOT standards. I think the derating is 10%. You can't just throw on regular tires and look at same ratings for trailer use. The trailer mfgr would also put a lower rating on the trailer if you furnished him those tires.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-18-2008, 12:11 PM Reply   
The problem is that trailer tires are made totally different than car tires. They are made to handle both forward movement and lateral movement without compromising the sidewall.

I would look into the tires b4 you drop some money on new rims and tires.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-18-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
And your insurance company has the right to deny any claims if you have a blowout with nontrailer tires and damage your boat or trailer because of the blowout or accident.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-18-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
I'm good on the tires guys... but thanks for the concern.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-18-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
Check the prices on 19" tires. They tend to run more than 20" because like you said they are an odd ball size. If money is no big thing then there should be no problem.
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-18-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
Actually, the one's I've looked at are all about the same price as the 18's, maybe about $5 more per tire. Although.... there were some that were like $350/tire.