Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-22-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
my cousin hit an underwater stump in his 19ft sea ray. he has a 350 engine w/ an alpha one outdrive. the shop says he needs a new outdrive which will cost him $9000. he has no insurance, my question; is there a reputable site or business that sells used outdrives or parts salvaged from wrecked boats?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-22-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
My question is why he has NO insurance
Old    fiberglassman            05-22-2006, 11:20 PM Reply   
who cares, he doesn't for what ever reason.

An outdrive shouldn't cost that much.There are lots of outdrives around, especially the alpha. How much transom damage was done?
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-23-2006, 3:00 AM Reply   
I haven't dealt with any of the organizations but there are lots of shops available in a google search. The one at this link is a Mercrusiser platinum dealer, meaning they do significant volume, have certified mechanics, and have received good customer feedback. http://www.outdrives.com/merc/mcost01.html Is a complete unit required or just the lower end?
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2006, 4:33 AM Reply   
"who cares, he doesn't for what ever reason"

What? are you high or something?
Firstly, If you have no insurance you are in my opinion an idiot. secondly, who cares when he chops up a swimmers leg with his prop? or crashes into another boat and takes out a few people?

What an absolutely ridiculous comment to make.

Sorry to say it but he deserves to have his boat wrecked if he took that kind of risk. The guy should not be on the water.

There's my 2 cents, unlike others on here i will not be recommending a place to get the boat fixed.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-23-2006, 4:43 AM Reply   
Brit rider - I don't think Fiberglassman is saying it's Ok to not have insurance. I just think he means that's not really the topic here.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-23-2006, 4:45 AM Reply   
I sort of concur. Unless your cousin can afford 9k or more in damage repair, and can cover a liability claim out of his ass pocket at the very minimum he should have liability insurance.
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-23-2006, 5:51 AM Reply   
if i understood correctly, it's the complete lower end. he said that there was no transom damage. this outdrive.com might just be what we're looking for, thanks george.

as for the no insurance attack team, he's asking himself the same question right now. however, in this area, i have yet to find somebody that does have insurance. i have it and i tell everyone about ski-safe but when people have a boat paid for, or an old wreck, they usually don't have insurance. "it's all fun and games until someone loses an eye." mama says.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2006, 6:18 AM Reply   

"however, in this area, i have yet to find somebody that does have insurance. i have it and i tell everyone about ski-safe but when people have a boat paid for, or an old wreck, they usually don't have insurance."

According to you profile, I see your close to the sabine river? I'm guessing the majority of the people are from Louisianna on the Lake. If so , I can understand a stmt like this

Good luck with your repair.

(Message edited by acurtis_ttu on May 23, 2006)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-23-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
Those outdrives are easy to swap too. Basically, shift the drive in the full forward, unbolt the 6 bolts that hold the upper and lower unit on, and slide it off.

Be sure to remember the Shift the drive into "full forword" -- That'll save you hours...days... of frustration. (Or at least this is how it was on the pre Alpha-one Mercruiser drives)
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-23-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
How do you know he doesn't have liability? You people are quick to jump on people without knowing much about the guy.
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-23-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
it seems that mr. adam curtis has a good read on the insurance subject.

i looked at the estimate.

$6300 for the Gimbal housing assembly (out-drive)
22 hr. @ $76 per hour = $1672
various taxes puts it at $9400.

outdrives.com sells it for $3250 new.
and it sounds like the 22hrs is a crock also.
that estimate sounds like a busy dealer not even caring to me.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-23-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
That's ridiculously high. It's been a while since I've worked on one, but IIRC the gimbal housing isn't really the outdrive, just the 2-axis swivel mechanism. I bet if you really look, it just needs the yoke and/or transom plate thing.

I removed, rebuilt (bellows, switches, bushings, etc), and reinstalled that whole assembly in about 12 hrs, the first time I'd ever worked on an outdrive.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-23-2006, 8:58 AM Reply   
I've pulled a few outdrives if it's remove and replace - no fiberglass damage - no change to the mounting hardware it can be done in 3 - 4 hours max. If the gimbal housing is busted I would be concerned about the transom, fiberglass, and gelcoat damage. If the transom mount has to be replaced the engine has to be removed and alignment is critical on the install.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-23-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
True, I did have to get mine aligned by the shop - about $100. Definitely look the transom over, but it wouldn't surprise me if the yoke or something could break without damaging the transom, though. They are just big aluminum castings.
Old    deltahoosier            05-23-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
I thought one of the selling point of outdrive boats is that they are suppose to have a break away coupler inside. The reason they say is to allow the coupler to break and the lower unit gets swung up, but, no major damage is suppose to occur. Has anyone heard about this before or were the salesmen blowing crap?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Hit anything hard enough, you'll do damage beyond what is supposed to "shear" off. I don't think?? the driver was idling over a stump. Salesman is probably not wrong, but he's not telling you everything.
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-23-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
i talked to the dealership today, the guy very politely told me that they simply did not have time to experiment w/ what may or may not be broken, that they only have time to change parts. so that was a change of everything from the transom to the foot. they were very happy that i came and got it. tomorrow i'm taking it to a smaller shop that told me that $9000 was ridiculous.

the driver was not idling, he was traveling, when he hit the stump, probably around 20mph.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-23-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
well its going to be more then just an outdrive, i bet he has problems with his transom assembly and i bet he needs a engine coupler, i can see 9k real fast in parts
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
dwayne,

I have a possible solution for you! I'll pm you!
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
Should be able to find an Alpha somewhere cheap, the go fast boys are always replacing them with Bravos. Check the classifieds in HotBoat mag (or ebay)
Old     (bering_c)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-23-2006, 9:13 PM Reply   
"There's my 2 cents, unlike others on here i will not be recommending a place to get the boat fixed."

Thank God for that. BTW, the examples you gave in your post still would not cover HIS boat if he had only liability insurance, which you are recommending. He would still need a shop to fix his boat. Get used to the idea that as long as insurance is not required, not everyone will have it.

Good luck on the outdrive fix, I for one don't wish that one anyone, insurance or not. Good job not getting ripped off for 9K!
Old     (shortman)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-23-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
Dwayne,
There's a guy on the south end of toledo, louisiana side, rebuilds uppers and lowers. He's done a few for me over the years(TORO Service Center). There is also a company out of Florida that is producing MERC outdrives brand new for half the cost of OEM. You should be able to replace entire outdrive for $2000 tops (if you can turn a wrench).
Old    fiberglassman            05-23-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
hotboat.com

forums section
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-24-2006, 4:43 AM Reply   
I had a Merc 4.3 V6 and replaced my outdrive about 8 years ago. I think it cost a little over $2,000 but I have insurance.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-24-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   

quote:

well its going to be more then just an outdrive, i bet he has problems with his transom assembly and i bet he needs a engine coupler, i can see 9k real fast in parts

I bet you can! (see occupation in profile)
Old     (summerobsession)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-24-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Complete Alpha 1 gen 1 drives here for 2k:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-8057.html
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-24-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
dougrussellmarine.com.....they have tons of models and years to choose from....should be less than 3k...
Old     (wdayne)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-24-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
wow, you guys have been way more than helpful, i can't thank y'all enough. here's the deal; i took the boat to a smaller shop in nacogdoches, tx. the service manager told us that to do a proper estimate that he would have to charge us for a couple of hours. great!!! that's all we were looking for in the first place, he said 22 hrs. was ridiculous that he could change everything listed and rebuild the engine in that time. so hopefully by the weekend we'll have a better idea of what the cost will be. this thing is still wide open though, we may be shopping for parts after the weekend. i'll keep in touch.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-25-2006, 4:59 AM Reply   
Good luck, Dayne. Keep us posted.