Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (petertjr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-23-2005, 12:14 PM Reply   
I injured my MCL ( not torn ) and its supposed to heal alright. However i was wondering if it would be beneficial to wear a cti2 or some other brace anyway for support and confidence.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-23-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
I think the hard part of getting a custom brace like a cti2 is getting a dr. to perscribe one. I had a doc perscribe one, just got fitted on Wednesday. The guy who came and fitted me told me it was a $1400 brace. Thank god for insurance.
Old    xtremrider            09-23-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
Yea i just got my cti2 a couple of weeks ago through a perscription. I have a psl injury. it helps quite a bit.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-23-2005, 12:38 PM Reply   
no, brace not required for MCL tear. I tore my MCL over the winter, minor tear, within 2 weeks I was skiing again, well dumb ass me screwed it up again. I did my own PT, strengthened the knee, leg presses and some other exercises, rowed in the spring wakeboarded all summer, never bothered me. Ive got something else wrong, some landings in flats hurt behind the knee theres a muscle forget what its called... Just make sure you allow it to heal, keep it flexible and strengthen the leg around the knee and you will be fine
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-23-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
I tore that pretty bad but not all the way through and docs just gave me a hinged braced, it works but i think i would want one alittle bit more reliable, heard that the hinges can lock up during a bad crash
Old    justsomeguy            09-23-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
"I have a psl injury."

I assume you mean PCL.

Did you get the CTi2 PCL version? If you've used other PCL specific braces I would be interested in your thoughts on how the Ct12 PCL version compares.
Old     (petertjr)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-23-2005, 8:34 PM Reply   
No the doc told me MCL, and i think that even if i technically didn't need it, it would still give me more confidence since i have hurt the same knee so many times (not all as serious, but still not fun) and then i make it worse i think by tensing up cause i'm affraid to injure it again, and pop there it goes! lol, no fun
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-23-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
I have injured my MCL on both knees at different times and when I was healing I wore Donjoy brace. It allowed me to get back on the water sooner while my knee was recovering. I wore it about 5 months during recovery and now it is back on the shelf. It gave me some lateral stability that without it, I would have been in a lot of pain while riding.
Old    mia            09-24-2005, 10:51 PM Reply   
cti2...
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
Peter, I suggest against getting a brace. I injured my MCL pretty bad last year. I was not able to walk for a few days and thought I had torn a lot by how loose and painful everything was. My thoughts were the same as yours. I wanted a brace to prevent this from ever happening again. My doctor told me that strong ligaments are as good as any brace, but they won't get strong when they get to rely on that brace. I rehabbed hard and was riding again in less than 2 months. I wear a neopreme sleeve on that knee to keep the joint warm and for a tad of support. I have had no real issues with that knee since. My doc works on the SF 49'ers and has been keeping me going for about 10 years, so I'm pretty confident in his opinions.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       09-25-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Matt I agree with what you are saying. There is no substitute for good hard rehab. Especially with the MCL, surgery is not required, and if you didn't tear it bad then you shouldn't have to worry. Get the leg strong. I guess I am ignorant but I don't like the sound of "the brace will give me confidence"... I don't buy into that because then you could get a false sense of security. Get that leg strong and you should have no problem, my knee bugs me some but its fine, and strong and I haven't had a fall all year where I felt like I strained my MCL
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
Matt - are you saying that my team, the 49ers, could possibly be running around out there with torn ligaments and no braces?

The way I understand it is, if you have a completely torn ligament, you need surgery to fix it, or you need a brace to counteract your deficiency. If it's partially torn you need to allow it a good amount of time to heal.