Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (erik)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-07-2007, 4:56 AM Reply   
Does anyone pull their boats with a Titan? Opinions? I have a 22V and want to hear your experiences.
Old     (neller0414)      Join Date: May 2007       06-07-2007, 5:19 AM Reply   
no but i pull with a frontier! lol and actually, i get great mileage and it has plenty of power, so im sure a titan will be fine. i have a launch, i get about 14-15 pulling, but i also have 6spd. ive been pretty impressed with nissan...if they would make a diesel titan, that will be my next truck.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-07-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
My buddy has one and I have towed with it a few times. I used to own a Sunsetter and would either have to borrow my dad's Silverado or the Titan. I would pick the Titan over the Silverado any day. I am a true Chevy guy to the core, but the Titan has tons of power. The interior is pretty comfortable too. If I were going to pick a gas burning truck to pull a boat, the Titan would be number one on my list when it came to pulling power. The drawback, I think his truck gets worse gas mileage out of the trucks in my crew.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-07-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
I have a Titan and tow an X-Star and it does great. I have towed an X-80 with it, but that's in Florida. But, it should handle a 22v no problem anywhere.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-07-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Pretty much all of Nissans trucks ride on the same platform now from the fronty/xterra to the Titan/Armada.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-07-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
I have the same setup as Travis an it does a great job.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
I am pulling a 22 SS with an Armada LE. Used to drive gas/diesel fords and finally decided to give jap trucks a try. I AM NEVER GOING BACK to Ford/GM/MOPAR! These Nissan V8's have just incredible horsepower and torque in comparison! Put a catback exhaust combined with an intake change and watch your gas mileage/perfomance improve.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-07-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
What kind of mileage are you getting Leonard? I am thinking of getting a new truck and the Titan is definitely on my radar. The only thing keeping me from it is the mileage.
Old     (michael_h)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-07-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
leonard then just move to japan & I will pass you when your at the gas station.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
Not pulling a boat driving to havasu from San Diego with the Cruise at 70 I got 18.5 mpg. Around town 14-15. I just got the boat and have not done any real long trips. But I just pulled the boat to the dealer last week and the onboard computer indicated I was getting +12.5 mpg as I was towing. I had the cruise set to 65. Remember I have a catback and intake system. I used to have a diesel F350, and yes TD do get better gas mileage, the problem is you will pay at least $5K premium for a diesel truck over a gas truck. Your Fuel cost per mile saving of diesel over gas is maybe .04 cents per mile. So in order to recover the $5000 premium you will pay for the Diesel truck you will have to own that Diesel for at least $5000/.04 = 125000 miles just to recover your premium.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Leonard, if the $5,000 was not an issue would you rather tow, drive and maintain the diesel?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
That's a good question! My wife wants an Armada, I want a new Avalanche with the 6.0L but it looks like the Armada is the way to go....
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Michael, Nissans are made in America you gotta give credit to the engineers in Japan for getting ahead of the curve. I was being generous in my calculation of a fuel cost per mile saving of .04. If you check an earlier thread where guys are posting thier MPG for thier truck, Diesels are only getting at most 1-2mpg more towing maybe 3 on the higway. I'll bank my $5K and invest it
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-07-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
My wife has an Armada and it pulls way better then my 1/2 ton GMC. If I was pulling alot I would go with a Diesel but we only tow once in a while. I enjoy the ride fit and finish of the Armada over any GM, Ford or Dodge. I also agree about the intake it's a must, we don't have the exhaust because she likes it quite. BTW 22" wheel kill the gas mileage we are thinking about taking them off. I could only imagine that the Titan would tow even better because its a straight axel in the back the Armada is independent
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
Tim,

I loved towing with my TD F350 and they sound /drive bitchin! For maintence wise.... you are looking at 14qt Oil changes with the diesel! I did my own oil changes but to pay for them you are looking at $70-100 every 3K miles vs my Armada which I can get done for <$15. I had my F350 for 10 yrs, 2 trannys 140K miles so I may have recovered the premium I paid for it. If Nissan comes out with a Diesel I will definately consider it.
Old     (mike_d)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-07-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
Leonard,

How Much mileage did you gain with the Cat back and the Intake? I have a Titan and tow boats daily for work I think the best I get not towing is about 15.5?
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I would say you will see up to 10% gain in MPG. I noticed additional throttle response which probably adversly affected my right foot. Like I said earlier. I have driven to Havasu (not towing)and gotten 18.5 mpg with cruise set at 70. That is verified by the computer and calc at the pump
Old    bocephus            06-07-2007, 12:22 PM Reply   

quote:

By leonard araujo (laraujo) on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:53 am:

Tim,

I loved towing with my TD F350 and they sound /drive bitchin! For maintence wise.... you are looking at 14qt Oil changes with the diesel! I did my own oil changes but to pay for them you are looking at $70-100 every 3K miles vs my Armada which I can get done for <$15. I had my F350 for 10 yrs, 2 trannys 140K miles so I may have recovered the premium I paid for it. If Nissan comes out with a Diesel I will definately consider it.

Why in GOD'S name are you changing the oil in your diesel every 3K? Have you heard of Amsoil? I would also bet my last remaining testicle that you can't get the oil changed in your Armada for under $15.00 and if you are that must be some pretty nice oil and you are dumping the used oil and filter in the trash.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Bocephus

You just lost your left Testicle!

Call me Anal if you will, but I take good care of my vehicles. I was using Chevron D 15-40 in my F350. For my Armada, Evans Tire and Brake in Escondido California sends me a coupon for $9.99 Oil and Filter Changes. Yes it is the house oil, but I have my onboard computer set to go off every 3K mile for an oil change there. At that price why pay for synthetic?
Old    bocephus            06-07-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   

quote:

By leonard araujo (laraujo) on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 12:28 pm:

Bocephus

You just lost your left Testicle!

Call me Anal if you will, but I take good care of my vehicles. I was using Chevron D 15-40 in my F350. For my Armada, Evans Tire and Brake in Escondido California sends me a coupon for $9.99 Oil and Filter Changes. Yes it is the house oil, but I have my onboard computer set to go off every 3K mile for an oil change there. At that price why pay for synthetic

Sorry man, I already lost the left one. Test after test shows that a quality synthetic is better than a "house oil" even when the "house oil" is new. I still don't buy it by the way, maybe once but not at $9.99 or $15.00 all the time.

Check out Amsoil and be done with it.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-07-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Titan and tow to the mountain lakes in Utah. On the big mountain passes it struggles with the boat unless you really rap it out in 2nd gear, usually go about 55mph on the steeps. But, I tow 4-5 months a year one day a week, so it works great as an all around truck shorter wheel base is easier to park and the best part is it's Nissan.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 12:42 PM Reply   
"I still don't buy it by the way, maybe once but not at $9.99 or $15.00 all the time"

UNO... I would not BS someone with just one Testicle. Since 2005 when I first bought the thing, 25K miles now and 8 oil/filter changes at 9.99 each. What can I say?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2007, 1:07 PM Reply   
I hear you on the oil change and filters for the diesel. I guess thats the price of performance.
Old    stillstandin            06-07-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
I would have looked at the Titan...but IMO..dont jump down my throat, its just an opinion. Its by far the ugliest truck on the road.
Old    stillstandin            06-07-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
I would have looked at the Titan...but IMO..dont jump down my throat, its just an opinion. Its by far the ugliest truck on the road.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-07-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
Bocephus,

Why would you want to gamble with your only remaining testicle? That was just a stupid idea.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-07-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
I think it's the best looking truck on the road.Upload
Old    stillstandin            06-07-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
Ya, the front end of those things, and the shape of the entire truck..just does nothing for me. Ive seen them lifted, every which way, its ugly.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-07-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
I agree with Woody!. It is a good looking truck!. In my opinion the styling is a unique blend of the elegance of a caddy and the toughness of a Hummer.
Old     (bwood)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-07-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
There also a blast to drive. I have owned mine for a year and it still puts a smile on my face at WOT. Of course I have a few mods, but it was still fast out of the box. Upload
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
I had a Titan, the 1st year they came out. I towed my '02 Supra SSV through the rolling hills of VA and barely noticed it was there. That truck was kick-ass. The only complaint I had was there was a problem w/ the breaks. I had the rotors replaced 3 times, but they kept warping. I think they've fixed it by now.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-07-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
Love my Armada... towed a SAN from KY no problem... comfy, loaded for 40k with every single option.

Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
When it comes to truck's I am very pro American so I'd recommend one of the big three especially Ford. If you like the look of the Titan the F150 should suit you as it basically copied it with regards to looks. I think the Ford has a better frame and enjoys a five star crash rating as well. If you haul in the bed you can do more with the F150 as well. It will also stop loads more efficiantly than does the Nissan. There really is a reason it's the number one selling truck for the last 30 years. With the current incentives the return on your money is excellent.

Leonard the cost of ownership on a diesel is often times better than a gas truck when you factor in not only fuel economy but re sale as well. I dont know where you live but up here in Washington gas is very expensive (well above national average) and diesel is about 35-40 less than gas.

Timmy, buy the Avalanche with the 6.0 it tow's like a champ and the ride quality is very good at least on par with the Armada.
Old     (towdaddy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-08-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Most all of the rice burner will tow you boat just fine, I tow my MB Tomcat with my SVT F150 and my F350 and have no problems.

In reguards to Oil changes don't waste you money changing you oil at 3000, You can run out to 5000 without any problems to the Motor.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-08-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
I agree. My belief is the 3000 mile number is for service station profits.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2007, 7:23 AM Reply   
At 3000 miles your oil is fine. I was looking at the manuel in my 92 ford and it said change every 7500 miles.
Old    bocephus            06-08-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Are you guys freaking crazy?? Use Amsoil and go 25,000 before an oil change. Get the remote oil filter and bypass and just twist the old filter off and the new one on...every 5,000 and you are good to go!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-08-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
Boy would that save me some time, effort and dinero on the diesel boat. 7 gallons of oil on the last full service. But 25,000, is that what Amsoil recommends?
Old    bocephus            06-08-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Just look up your application....

http://www.amsoil.com/products.aspx

The real test in by having oil analysis done. If you have excessive metal in the oil you have a problem.
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-10-2007, 4:48 PM Reply   
I had a Titan to tow our Supra around the Northern Nevada / California area. After one summer I bought a diesel. The Titan is a great truck, I just didn't care for the way it towed the boat. I love it when people say "I don't even know the boat is back there" when towing with a half ton truck. Trust me, you know its there. It know on the flats, I know it the mountains, and I really know it at the gas pumps.

The Titan motor puts out great numbers, but to get that performance it needs to be at 5000 rpm. Eventhough gassers are made to rev higher than diesels I still don't like pushing a motor that hard. Eventually something will give.

I hear people say I get 17 mpg around town and nearly 25 on the fwy. One, I want to know what town you get that it because any town I drive in the city mileage was maybe 13-14 and fwy was 19. I hand calced every tank for one year, and on an average tank of gas for just general driving I got 14.5 during the summer and 13.5 during the winter. Towing the boat took the mileage into single digits, 10 mpg, at best.

For those of you holding your breath that Nissan will be putting out a Titan with a diesel motor, your going to be holding your breath for a few more years, perhaps indefinitely. According to an article in the newest issue of Diesel Power magazine, Nissan has scrapped the idea of a diesel motor for the near future and are also possibly suspending the production of guzzeling SUV's (Pathfinder and Armada) in favor of more fuel efficient cars. A diesel in the Toyota and the Ford 150 are more likely in the next few years. Also in the same Diesel Power mag, they compared an 08 Ford Super Duty with the new diesel motor against one with the V-10 gas motor to see if the nearly $7000 for the diesel motor upgrade is the worth the cost. In absolutely every category the diesel out performed the gasser, and it was a completely unanimous by the panel that the diesel was definitely worth the upgrade cost. It would pay for itself in less than 4 years and then its money in the bank. Plus, it you can negotiate at all you can get a diesel for nearly the cost of a Titan.

For those of you who have a Titan, you have a great truck. Just dont buy into the hype that it is the ultimate tow vehicle.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-10-2007, 6:49 PM Reply   
leonard, I am afraid some of your calculations are off with a diesel, there is no need to change your oil every 3k mile, 10K and 15K miles changes, even the oil analysis says this. The 5K premium is easily recovered in the resale price. Currently, Diesel is .25cents less a gallon than gas.

I would love to see a heavy half diesel from Toy/Nissan, but I just don't see it happening. Besides, when I run hunting or boarding, we are loaded w/ food, generators, gas, and gear, even my short bed F-250 is not cutting, next year going to LWB F-350.

I like Bochepus run Amsoil, but do not run the bypass and still go 10-15K on one change of filter.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   

quote:

The Titan motor puts out great numbers, but to get that performance it needs to be at 5000 rpm. Eventhough gassers are made to rev higher than diesels I still don't like pushing a motor that hard.

When towing your truck will spin to 5000 for a small percentage of the time.
When cruising in your boat it will spend the majority of its time above 3000rpm. Are you worried about your boats motor too?
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-11-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
Why does every thread about tow vehicles turn into a gas vs diesel debate? I wish ppl would actually look at where the person lives and what they tow before going off on how superior diesels are over gassers. Granted the post was vague but a peek at his profile does give some clues. The original poster (Erik) lives in FL, probably the flattest state in the country and known for having an enormous amount of navigable water. Which means he probably doesn't have to go far and doesn't have any real steep grades to climb. He tows a 22' inboard, not a 40' scarab which tells me his normal load is ~5-6klbs.

Not everyone wants/needs a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel to tow a wake boat. I can see the benefits of owning a diesel if you regularly tow hundreds of miles or over 5000ft passes, but just b/c you might have to doesn't mean that everyone does. IMO, 3/4 and 1-tons ride like $#it and I would have to have some serious work/tow loads to want to drive one daily or to see the fuel cost benefits.

I personally tow with an Armada and love it. I chose it b/c it has a large tow capacity and plenty of power for ANY wake boat. It rides nice, gets decent gas mileage (for a gas 1/2 ton) and is adequate for a daily driver. I don't know what mileage I get towing b/c......I've never actually gone through an entire tank while towing. My greatest towing distance is about 30 miles and usually only go about 5-10 to get to my regular ramp. A diesel would be serious overkill for me.

All I'm saying is that everyone's needs are different....and a large diesel truck is not necessarily the right choice for everyone.

end of rant.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-11-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
ryan, the "rant" started with richard, talking about great mileage with his Armada, compared to diesel. Add in incorrect info about oil changes, cost, it is easy to get going. Besides, I have quite a few friends that tow less than you do, and are trading their half tons in for diesel's.

You just can't compare tow stability, braking, power, and longevity of a diesel.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
First of all, maybe 3K oil changes is overkill and I probable have the cleanest crankcase on this board, but hey for 9.99 a pop can you blame me? Now regarding diesels lets do the math. On another discussion board where the topic is What are you getting for mileage it appears that combined driving for gas vs diesel is about a 3mpg difference. OK so if we use todays pricing for Gas and Diesel here in San Diego county north of

3.13 Gas
2.95 Diesel

Assume Averege MPG for

Gas truck 14 mpg combined hwy/city/towing
Diesel truck 17 mpg combined hwy/city/towing

your fuel cost per mile is as follows:

Gas: $3.13 / 14 = $.224 per mile
Diesel: $2.95 / 17 = $.174 per mile

Net: $.224 - $.174 = $.05 current cost saving per mile of Diesel vs Gas.

Now Divide that nickle cost saving per mile into the $7000 premium you pay for Diesel vehicle and in Southern Cal Car dealers do not move much on this.

$7000 premium / $.05 cost sav. = 140,000 miles.

OK so now you have to hang on to that Diesel for at least 140K miles just to get your premium back! and I have not even figured in the extra cost for oil changes or the present value of your additional 7K investment?

Even if the cost savings was $.06 per mile you still would have to put 120K miles on it before you would get your premium back.

Are you will to commit to driving the same vehicle for 8-10 years? if yes then buy the diesel
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-11-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
Dont forget the value of a gas truc with 150k miles compared to a diesel with 150k miles.

At 150k miles a diesel would have much more life left in it.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-11-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
2000 Ford f-250 172K, and the 7K is at the high end for diesel.

What your failing to realize and point out is when resale/ trade in comes around, the truck will have a higher and easier resale either.

You are really off on the towing portion, because this is where the mid-sized vehicles get killed. Diesel's only get 3 more miles MPG while towing??? Are you on some medical marijuana?

Also the cost of diesel is consistently .15 cents or more per gallon less than gas.

Take money out of the equation, and you can't even begin to argue what tows the best.

Be happy with your choice, but don't try and distort the facts to fit your current ride situation.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
The depreciation difference in the gas vs diesel is not going to recover the full $7K. Also, remember right now Diesel is less than gas, That was not the case about a year ago or back when I had a Diesel F350. This may flip back the other way next year and now your cost per mile savings will be less!

My combined Average on my F350 was 16.5 mpg vs my Armada at 14.5.

Please don't get me wrong, I really digged my Diesel. The point I am trying to make is that you have to be willing to commit to ownership for a considerable time to recover the additional cost if that is all you are considering. It is a personal choice you have to ask for yourself. In my situation, I use a commuter car for work so my tow vehicle gets maybe 15K mile/yr and I like my big comfy ride of the Armada on my way to Havasu over my F350. I also don't want to commit to the same vehicle for 10yrs.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-11-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
If you haul long distances (100 miles +) and up and down steep and long passes or hills, a diesel with an engine brake is by far superior in handling and safety. It's that simple.

You can do math until you are blue in the face and fight about gas mileage etc but the quality of towing with a diesel pickup is pretty awesome. On the flats and for short distances, don't waste your money, but if you haul all over the place, a diesel is a worthy upgrade gas mileage aside.

I regularly haul over the grapevine and the north side is particularly difficult. Going down it is wild with the 18 wheelers jockeying in and out of the right lanes. I put my F250 in Tow/Haul mode and the engine brake and tranny keep the whole rig at a constant speed with only a few brake tap adjustments. I hold 55 mph no problem, with kids and dogs and family and friends in the cab, I feel pretty good about the safety margin there. I can't put a price on that, it means too much to me keeping that rig under control and getting there safely.

On the flats the diesel just hums along, and there is always plenty of power to spare around 70 mph to pass and get into the clear spots on the highway instead of caught in a traffic snarl.

Going up the grapevine I can hold 70 mph at 2500 RPM, see ya!!! It kills my fuel economy, but I enjoy hauling ass up the hill.

The hills into Naci were another test. Steady as she goes down, haul right back up. Got to the gate and my brakes were still cool and firm, not overheated and soft.

Again, you can argue it either way. What I have found is that the Diesel upgrade and big truck makes towing really pleasurable. I have often wondered if I should have saved some coin and just bought a V8 gas truck. Every time I hit a big hill or pass, I stop wondering.

It's all about what your needs are though and how long you intend to keep the vehicle. I fully intend to keep mine a long long time if it stays reliable. I will change my oil more often than necessary and keep it stock.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-11-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Titan and Armada are #1 worst rated for 3 years running now....Even the infinity version scores lowest.

Nissan's reliability has improved somewhat. Last year, the Quest, Armada, Titan, and especially the Infiniti QX56, all built at Nissan's Canton, Miss. factory, had the worst reliability in our survey. This year, while the predicted reliability of the Armada and QX56 are still about 135 percent worse than the average vehicle, they had half as many problems as they did in last year's survey. The Quest, while still much worse than average this year, had fewer problems than minivans from General Motors.

Best & worst models

These 2007 models earned the highest and lowest predicted-reliability ratings, based on CR's 2006 reliability survey. Models marked with (2006) have been redesigned for 2007. Models with * use data based on one model year only.

Least reliable

Vehicles listed in scoring order, starting with the worst score.

LARGE SUVS: Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, Lincoln Navigator, Hummer H2.

PICKUP TRUCKS: Nissan Titan, Ford F-250 (TurboDiesel), Dodge Dakota (4WD), Cadillac Escalade EXT (2006).

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023544

(Message edited by Olskooltige on June 11, 2007)
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-11-2007, 1:28 PM Reply   
Steve,

I think a lot of that came from the period Nissan was having the brake issue on the Titan/Armada pre 2005. These were basically when the models were first introduced. That was corrected and my 2005 had the same problem at 15000 miles and Nissan covered it no issue. I got the new design of rotors and a new brake job all around at no cost. My brakes on the Ford had to be replaced around the low to mid to 20K mile range. That cost me +$600 at the time. I also spent a fortune trying to keep the thing aligned during the time I owned it!
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-11-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
Negative ghostrider....that is an 06 model report (released in 07). Nissan is #1 in claims. Not saying they aren't a good ride and no one else has issues, just they fall behind everyone based on reporting. On the Ford.....well.....I think if you look at a Ford grill, you will find that Ford circles the problem with their vehicles for you.

(Message edited by Olskooltige on June 11, 2007)
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
Ryan/evilone,

If you want to know why it always turns into a gas vs. diesel just go back to the original question. The guy wants to hear our experiences, so he got them.

The question is vague to begin with so I dont feel its my responsibility to go search where he lives so I can offer an opinion on something I dont know. What I do know is about my experience (that he asked for)with the Titan, where I tow and what I tow. Yes, if you live in Florida you could probably tow an X-80 with a "69 VW van and be "OK". However it doesn't really give you real world experience.

Yes, my Titan towed the boat. I made it to the ramp and back, never broke down and felt relatively safe. I just didn't care for the way I felt with the boat behind the truck. Nissan makes a great truck, solid numbers if your willing to push the motor that hard. For me, I had to tow in a minimun of 4th gear (recommended)on the flats, 3rd gear when a slight incline came (a Nevada incline, not a FL incline)and 2nd gear if I wanted to continue making forward progress if the road went steeper than a 6% grade all the while the gas guage was moving down faster than the truck went up.

I'm not trying to suggest that everyone should immediately go out and buy a diesel. I offering a real world opinion based on my experience with a Titan as to why I sold it and got a diesel. I like towing the boat at 65mph while running 1800rpm not 3000rpm.

As far as my boat motor and RPM's, I tend to baby that as well. The motor is made to do more than I want it to do but that is my personal preference. I have no reason to push my boat to 5000 rpm. In fact, most of the time our boat is nothing than a floating tanning platform for the wife and friends but it works for us.

I'm glad you enjoy your Armada, its a nice vehicle. Enjoy the summer pulling your boat and I'll enjoy the summer pulling mine.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-11-2007, 3:49 PM Reply   
Jim, my post wasn't directed at anyone inparticular....it was just a general statement. You had an experience with the Titan and decided it wasn't the vehicle for you. I don't have any problem with that. The thread was heading south long before your post....but only because Leonard had a diesel and decided on the gasser....God forbid.

Most of the time I stay out of these threads b/c it always ends up with same debate. The only reason I clicked was b/c I own and enjoy an Armada.

In the end it's just different strokes for different folks and there is always a compromise.

Have a great summer!
Old     (heem)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-11-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
Ryan,

Checked out your profile. Looks like a great place to live, have always wanted to check it out.

Know what ya mean about checking out the thread. and how things go south. No worries.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-11-2007, 9:02 PM Reply   
Same goes for me too. I really don't care one way or the other but I know my boat motor spends more time above 3,000rpm then my gas guzzling truck.
Old     (yearroundboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-11-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 Titan Crew Cab and tow my 2006 Tige' 22Ve' with no problems. As far as issues with the truck. Only one with the brakes early on and I received the same update. They work great. IMO, the power this truck has considering it competes with other 1/2 tons is unsurpassed. 30,000 miles and it runs like a champ. Only real complaint is the stock Goodyear tires. Going BFG All terrains...