Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (sarah_wake)      Join Date: Aug 2010       01-15-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
I just wanted to get some opinions and ideas about me hosting a competition. My 16th birthday is in May, and my parents thought it would be a good idea to have a competition with cash prizes. I rented out my boat club, which has a ski course, but do you guys think putting together a little competition would be difficult? I would like to hear your comments, advice, and ideas.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-15-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785356

But I think it would be more difficult than you think. IE not worth it if you're looking for some birthday fun. If you already have the club rented out, just invite your friends for a fun ride day, maybe give out a best trick or biggest bail award.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-17-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
Second that. I have run hundreds of wake events of all size. They are a ton of work, expensive and hard to keep moving and having fun. If you are running it, you will not be able to hang with your friends at all. Do so fun games like best crash, goofiest wake outfit, best trick and maybe take a balloon or water winnies's and you have to hold them between your knees up and down the lake. Not so safe is blind folding and doing one trick.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-17-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
Managing a contest is a ton of work if you want to have a great experience for your guests. I plan and manage an event every year with 3 other guys and and the help of a dozen others. It's a ton of work to do right. Very rewarding to look around and see what you have created, but not something I would want to do on my birthday as a treat to myself.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-17-2011, 8:45 AM Reply   
^word. Lot's of work to put on a tourney. Keep it simple and fun (for yourself and everyone else) and have a happy b-day
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-27-2011, 12:06 PM Reply   
I second JB's comments. Jason pretty much wrote the book on doing events (that I copied) and they are WAY more effort than you can imagine. Not a good birthday treat if you want to hang with your friends.
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-27-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
These guys are right, it's so much work but if you want to built a event, do it! It's not a good idea to do it for your birthday because you wont have any fun during the day but you can do it another day! Each event has started somewhere! Don't forget, it's a LOT of job but it's not impossible! I'm already working on a wakeboard festival with one of my friend who own a event organisation buiseness. It's gonna be our second modest edition this year. We want to built something big but it's gonna take some editions to do it! When you're in, you understand how much work it need to do something just ok but it's really cool!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       01-27-2011, 6:23 PM Reply   
That's what I'm going through right now... Is it worth the headache to take over and run this event or give my ideas and just have a good day with what somebody else puts on. We are set and going to have an event, just need somebody to take the drivers seat and get it together...

I second to just ride and have a good time with your buddies...