Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    texas_wake            08-10-2004, 2:32 PM Reply   
which movie teaches u more
Old    howie            08-10-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
just buy both they both teach you good things
Old    cheeseinaz            08-10-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
I have Higher Education and it's not bad. It goes through the tricks pretty fast so you sort of need to know the basics of what each trick should look like. The feature I like is that each trick is considered a seperate chapter (on the DVD) so you can find the trick you want to learn by punching up the chapter number and jumping right to it. Can't comment on Detention.
Old    foobysmacker            08-10-2004, 2:59 PM Reply   
Detention is the same way-- moves through very quickly and all the tricks are separate DVD chapters.

Some goofy humor in it, so if that kind of stuff bothers you then you may want to consider that.

Detention is also a couple years old (like 2000-2001 or so). I actually like this aspect of it because Shaun is riding a board that's obviously old by some people's standards... complete with single fin (looks like 1.5 or 2"). I like reminding my friends that feel like their "old" boards are holding them back from progressing that Shaun's board doesn't seem to hold him back at all. :-)

Haven't seen Higher Ed. As soon as I master the tricks in Detention vol 2 maybe I'll move on to another vid. :P

I think you'd be fine with either.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
I have both. Higher Ed is much better than Detention, but WakeTrix is much better than both of them. Waketrix is the latest one. I highly recommend you start there. They spend loads of time on each trick.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-10-2004, 4:15 PM Reply   
hmm, i'd have to say i disagree with j-rod. i didn't think waketrix was close to higher education. dentention is good too - but has the disadvantage (like waketrix), of having the majority of the tricks being demonstrated and explained by one person (shaun murray in dentention, darin shapiro in waketrix).

certainly in terms of amount of content waketrix doesn't hold a candle to either. well less than half the amount of tricks are covered. dentention and higher education were both originally two volumes on vhs, so you're getting a LOT more instruction on tricks - although granted the majority of the tricks are far beyond the average rider.

here's the waketrix trick list:

bunch of basic stuff (getting up, carving, etc.)
fs 180s
ts/hs/fs 3s (no backside spins other than the hs 180 are explained)
bs hs 180
back roll
ts back roll
roll2revert
ts roll2revert
tantrum
ts front
scarecrow
raley

and that's it. no mobes. no tantrum to revert. no bs spins or fs spins more than 3s. no hs front. no ts bs 180. no inverts with grabs.

they list a ton of other tricks on the jacket because they show up in the "progression" section of each trick section - but the progression sections are just riding footage of riders doing more advanced versions of the trick you just learned (sometimes just with grabs, other times, like with the tantrum, the progression section includes t2bs, moby , etc.). they're not instruction.

there is a feature that gives you a quick bit of extra instruction from mike ferraro, who i know from personal experience (having attended darin shapiro's the spot where mike subbed for him a couple of days), is an excellent coach. however i don't feel much of his expertise comes thru in these short vignettes.

to be honest, so far the best instructionals i've found are free and right here on this site. especially the ones by mike mclin and the blind 180 with dave briscoe. these are much more step by step and include excellent hints and techniques.

for instance, although he demonstrates it while performing the trick, neither darin nor mike explain that on the hs bs 180 (and ts fs 3s), one major mistake folks do is land trying to look at the boat. watch most of the pros on their hs bs 180s. they land looking back at the shore or even back (as mike mclin suggests), at the boat wake. that has been the most helpful hint i've discovered for myself and others in attempting this trick (overrotation being one of the biggest mistakes in those tricks). yet it's not mentioned by darin or mike in the explanation for those tricks. but it is on both instructionals on wakeworld.

personally i can't wait for kyle schmidts "the book." that full dvd set looks awesome.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
That's okay it's not the first time.

I wasn't ware of the shortage of tricks. That's disappointing. But as you pointed out, not many people here are trying to learn things like Vulcans and mobe 5s.

I watched about 15 minutes of Waketrix in my local shop on a couple separate occassions. I did feel that that the tricks demonstrated in Waketrix were explained in greater detail. Although, I liked the land shots for handle position and such. Those are helpfull. Waketrix has a section similar to this.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-11-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
the instructionals are all good, but one thing i've noticed thats bad about detention (possibly the others) is that it doesn't identify what someone could be doing wrong.

i want to be told that for example, 'if you land like this, it's probably because you're doing this'.

ok this may make each trick section longer, but it'll help you learn it quicker. I've had problems with certain tricks, and altho' detention tells me how to do it right, I can't identify what i do wrong to get in certain situations. bla bla bla..........
Old    foobysmacker            08-11-2004, 9:19 AM Reply   
Good point Harry re: identifying common problems and fixes. There's definitely a tradeoff between how much time you spend on each trick and how many tricks you can cover in one vid. IMO if Waketrix covers fewer tricks then a vid like that *should* cover details like that.

One thing I've found with several videos, including detention, is that if I watch the same trick over and over I tend to hear the same thing over and over. However, when I watch the vid, try the trick a few times, then watch again, I tend to pick up on different details that I didn't notice the first time around. So people will likely respond differently to different styles of video instruction.

So whichever one you buy, go get out on the water and learn some new tricks...
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2004, 9:38 AM Reply   
i think waketrickz is the best dvd i have detention and waketrickz.

i think for a beginner waketrickz is so much better, they spend loads of time on each thing, they show 3-4 different riders doing the trick so you can see the differences in riding style. Detention is ok if you already have a bunch of experience riding, but there is something about the way he teaches that i just couldnt get, i think it's cause he doesnt have the different camera angles and he goes so big all the time.

i went from falling on simple wake to wake jumps to watching waketrickz and the next day i was pulling 3 different grabs, getting higher air, hitting the double up consistantly, and just being alot more consistant period.