Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-16-2012, 4:30 PM Reply   
I have been on the same river for the past 17 years of my life and have been surfing for the last 5 of them and this weekend I was told by a Marine Patrol Man that wakesurfing is illegal in Mississipi because we were to close to the back of the boat. We were about 10 feet away and he insisted that we could hit our head on the back platform but basic physics would prove otherwise. It is almost impossible to hit the back of the boat or atleast I have never done so due to the fact that the boat is always moving forward. The marine patrol man did not even know what wakesurfing was or how it worked and once we explained to him how it works he didnt have much to say expect that this was going to happen on "his" river. He even went as far to say that we were going to hit the prop which made me laugh.

He pulled us over because he thought that we were riding on the back platform while the boat was under way but due to the fact that he was behind us he didnt have a plain view to judge what we were doing and how. I looked up rules in mississippi and not once does it say anything about wakesurfing or how far behind the boat you have to be. Could someone with some insight maybe help me out because this guy tried to write me a ticket for some as pety as wakesurfing. Or as he called it:banghead reckless endangerment.

Sorry I needed to vent for a second as this guy put an end to a great day on the water.

These are the rules that I found http://www.boat-ed.com/ms/handbook/ski.htm

Any help would be great as i love to surf and would like to prove this guy wrong as he repeatedly told me that he will be there all summer.