Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-26-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
Does anyone know of a good way to keep your guide poles attached so the thieves don’t take them?
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-26-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
wrap a live snake around them?
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       04-26-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
I just slip mine off and put in truck= free, 10 seconds
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-26-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
Put a big Remington sticker on your back glass
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
Has this been a problem, I have never thought of it, but i guess if its not locked down, someone could steal it...
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       04-26-2011, 1:32 PM Reply   
make them look really ****ty.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-26-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
We don't use sissy sticks down here.
Old     (h2ohangtime)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-26-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
We just take ours off and throw them in the back of the Denali and lock the doors. Like Jason says, it takes seconds and it's free. I know people who've had them ripped off more than once.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-26-2011, 6:41 PM Reply   
Why the heck would anyone steal these? Is there really such a market for bootleg guide polls that crackheads can turn them quickly to get money for their next fix?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-26-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
A plain ole fishin boat dont need no sissy sticks... kinda pointless. lol, anywho I throw mine in the truck as well. I also put cable straps on the inside of the PVC tubes so if anyone gets any ideas about stealing those they can forget it. The original reason for that was so they could only raise up so high because some of the ramps at the delta are steep enough where they would float up and off the steel guide pole.
Old     (whelchel86)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-27-2011, 9:54 AM Reply   
Get some pink ones... with sequins!...
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
They steal 'em because theirs are shot or they see ones that look cooler than theirs. Whatever. I use ones from the dealer with the dealer name emblazened all down them, nobody wants those!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-27-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
12 gauge.

I used to put mine in the back of my truck, too. If you were determined you could use some bungy material (my Ace Hardware has it). Put a pipe cap on the top of the guide poles. Drill a hole in the top and tie the bungy in a knot. run it down the tube, drill a hole in the bottom of the tube and do the same at the bottom.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-27-2011, 1:46 PM Reply   
Do you guys live in compton or what? haha never heard of that being a problem
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       04-27-2011, 2:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfadam View Post
Do you guys live in compton or what? haha never heard of that being a problem
lol, you would think, i had one come up missing last year and then both just last week, there cheap, i have no idea why somebody would take them.... maybe fisherman take them cause the hate ski/wakeboarders i couldn’t see a tweeker taking them
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-27-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
Sadly, I've even had my trailer wiring adapter stolen. Now I have to toss that in the cab as well after unloading the boat
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
It's a west coast thing i guess, every lake I've been on out here people steal 'em.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-27-2011, 5:22 PM Reply   
huh... i have never heard of this either..... never had it happen to me... hope this is not the year...
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-27-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
If you have enough money to spend time at the lake, don't you have enough money to buy your own guide poles? I never though that I would have to take extra steps to protect mine. This gives me something else to think about when I park after launch.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-27-2011, 10:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzman View Post
It's a west coast thing i guess, every lake I've been on out here people steal 'em.
What lakes do you visit? I am on the Westcoat, please post them up so I never go there.... thats crazy, I would think a spare tire would go before guidepoles.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-28-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
What lakes do you visit? I am on the Westcoat, please post them up so I never go there.... thats crazy, I would think a spare tire would go before guidepoles.
I had a set stolen at Don Pedro two seasons ago as well as a spare cover. My brother-in-law lost two sets over the last few years, Hogan & Shasta. One of our buddies lost a set at the Delta last year. I remember on another forum somebody talking about Folsom and how they lost a set as well. It's been going on for a long time but you never really hear about it.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-28-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
If you're talking pads, we just slide our's off and stuck them in the boat storage. Actually, we never had our's on unless we were launching or retrieving. No reason otherwise. Keeping them off, also keeps them from fading and detriorating (not to mention the bird crap that seems to collect on them)! They're like target practice for birds.

If you're talking about your poles, maybe you could drill a hole through the pole and the sleeve, and Master Lock that bad boy up!!!