Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-09-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
Okay, so the towers I have narrowed it down to are ... Roswell Tower, Wake Air's Switch or Slider, XTP Edge, and 13th Floor Plain Jane. I have to pick one as well as find a dealer to install it. I would do it myself, but w/ some heavier friends that ride w/ me also, for the extra money the warranty is worth it.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 4:47 AM Reply   
anyone????
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
I saw Wake Air's work @ the boat show. They do great work and I have heard nothing but good things about them. Hope that helps.
Old    tb12inve            05-10-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
I had a wakeair slider tower installed on my MB and it looks great. Excellent fit. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a tower
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Was it solid? Just want to make sure - the heavier folks that ride tend to get crazy.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-10-2006, 5:43 PM Reply   
have you seen titan towers?? they look aw3esome on the boat and they will not shake or crack you gel coat
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
I've seen them, just not on any boats - specifically a crownline - which is what it is going on. They seem like they are similar to the Monster Towers which I don't really care for because they are curvy while the windshield is straight. Am I wrong in their styling?
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-10-2006, 7:36 PM Reply   
Jory,

Stoked to see you're looking at the Roswell tower- Our new Area 52 S.I. is an amazing universal tower package that includes billet board racks. If you're not in the market for racks the regular Area 52 will fit the bill for you...

We've started shipping them out as of last month and our dealers are having great success with them.

The install is definitley something a machanically inclined person can do- you just need to take care measuring and check really well inside the boat to ensure there are no wires or harness' in the way before drilling.

Most of our dealers are experienced with installs though and should be able to give you an idea of how easy or tough the install might be after having a look at your boat. If you want you can fire me some pictures of your boat and your location and I can give you an idea of how the install would be and/or recommend an authorized dealer in your area to go speak with.

My email is marc@roswellwakeair.com- Hope to hear from you!

Marc Poirier
OEM Product Manager/Team Manager
Roswell Wake Air
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
carcrz i second your opinion i dont like the looks of a monster tower for the same reasons. I did however look at a pro xt tower by skylon and from the pics that i have seen it looks pretty nice
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
Mark, Thanks for the reply! I haven't had a chance to get over to Xtreme Marine yet - grass is growing & I'm a mowing. I'm hoping to get over there sometime right after Memorial Day. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend. Here's a link to the boat that we have --- http://crownline.com/models/models.php?model=225_br. I am confident that I can do the install myself, the only thing I would be concerned with is the Gel Coat cracking with heavier riders pulling at full strength. I am a newbie & a lightweight at that so I am not worried about me doing any damage, it's the harder pulls that have me a little concerned. The installation warranty is the main reason I considered having them do the install.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Marc, do you guys have swivel racks available?
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-10-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
Found the racks on the site.
Old     (dedicatedwse)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-10-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
I just finished a Monster tower install so I can only speak for this tower manufacturer (I will post some pics for the message board in a couple weeks). Monster tower was not my first pick for asthetics reasons, but after much thought I pulled the trigger.

They are very reasonably priced,
customer service is top-notch,
the instructions are very thorogh and they even include some of the tools,
they sell nice, reasonably priced accessories to go with the tower,
...and most important to me, the tower is extremely RIGID!!

I have a very thin hull where the tower attached and decided to reinforce my fiberglass. But the way this tower distributes the forces of a rider, I think I could have got away without doing any reinforcing. Leave it to structural engineers (the guys who started Monster Tower) to develop a solid tower!

So I can empathize with your desire to find a tower that fits the lines of your boat better, but I'm sure pleased with the functionality of my tower. Which in the end is most important thing for me.

Just my thoughts. Everyone has different priorities. I figure I'll wait until my next boat to get the aesthetics just right.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-11-2006, 4:30 AM Reply   
I too agree about Monster Tower's quality & service, I just think they are kinda ugly IMO. The boat sides were re-enforced from the factory so I don't need to worry about building that up,
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2006, 5:07 AM Reply   
Hey marc,

Whats the deal with roswell towers and loud liquid T1s? I have a T1 and a friends factory fitted roswell looks almost identical except the ribs and the mountings.

Old     (wakeair1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-11-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Hey Tommy does this look familiar?
Here is a 225 Crownline we did last year. Thank you guys for all the support.
Brian
Wakeair
1 877 Wakeair

Upload
Upload
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-11-2006, 6:58 PM Reply   
Jory-

Here’s what I can tell you about spider or gel cracking. It can happen from a number of different things including gel quality, thickness and curing time. Each of these can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from boat to boat as far as thickness and curing time are concerned. Spider cracks are only cosmetic and can be repaired by a qualified fiberglass shop.

As far as our tower and prevention of spider cracks is concerned, I’ll share with you the following: We recommend drilling the holes in your deck with a 1/16” larger drill bit that the actual bolts- This helps if the holes are not perfectly drilled centered to the bolts. Furthermore our instructions call for countersinking all the holes- A good, sharp countersink bit will really help. Other things to be considered are our larger mounts. The increased surface area distributes the force on the gel, fiberglass and deck over more surface thereby helping reduce force on specific points that can cause spider cracking or worse. On top of this our mounts come with scalloped, rotating sub-plates that allows you to mount the tower to most curved decks without major modification (some modification can be done to these plates easily with an aluminum flapper wheel to perfectly match your boats curved surface). We send out rubber gaskets which help with the stress load as well as a full 1/4” aluminum backing plate for the inside of the boat. This plate is slightly curved to avoid edges digging into the rough glass on the inside of the deck (which can cause spider cracks) and when it’s compressed along with the interior rubber gasket the entire mount is incredibly solid. All of this is as much as you can really do to help prevent spider cracking.

I had a chance to look at the boat through the link you sent me and it looks fairly straight forward as far as an install goes- I wasn’t able to see the virtual tour and I’m curious to know if the red stripe is convex or concave? If it’s convex then our scalloped plates should work great on them. At 102” the beam should be acceptable for the Area 52 and our sales guys would confirm that for you. If you choose our tower you could always take it to an authorized dealer if the install became too daunting.

Jay-

Your buddy would have the Area 51 tower that we designed back in 1999. It was fully conceptualized and developed by our president Robert Oswell and in house design team hitting the market soon after. Everything on that tower, including the rear leg gusset was designed by them and on the market first. We had the Area 51 out well before any similar looking towers. Reverse engineering has been part of this industry for as long as it began and this is not the first time Roswell or I’m sure others have seen it.

I’m sure you’re happy with yours as is your buddy with his Area 51… Keep rippin!