Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            11-29-2009, 4:48 AM Reply   
I'd heard this rumor since summer, turns out to be fact. I can't find the product listed anywhere, not even on the RR product page, however. 2:1 mix ratio, claimed new resin and hardener and 20 minute flip times at 90 degrees F. Greg Loehr's propaganda from Sway's:

http://www2.swaylocks.com/forums/kwik-kick-epoxy

For as long as I've been involved with the stuff the one thing all pro board builders complained about in using epoxies was set time. We were always too slow for "real production" according to most polyester friendly glass shops. Well .... not anymore. RR Kwik Kick is now available on both east and west coasts. This system was developed over the last year using a brand new chemistry and is as fast or faster in production than polyester. Flip times are approximately 20 minutes at 90F, 40 minutes at 80F and 75 minutes at 70F. During testing at 85F we laminated and hot coated boards, both sides and both hot coats, in less than 3 hours. And for something this fast, work times are still reasonable. Pro guys will have no problems.

Not only is it fast, it's about 20% stronger than any epoxy we've ever tested .... and we've tested plenty through the years. UV stability has been proven to be equal or better than any other system available and exotherm is managable with all fin systems except for FCS plugs, which have always been a problem. FCS Fusion boxes are fine though.

One interesting thing about it is that it thickens earlier than most epoxies. This helps in hot coating ... it doesn't tend to run off rails. In laminating, this thickening means that you can still move the resin but it tends to stay where it's put more. Makes draining pretty much history and it also means most of today's EPS blanks can be laminated without sealing, saving a step or two. Another way this new chemistry is different is that while it does get tack free very quickly, it doesn't get crisp right away. You can flip it and sand it while still somewhat soft. Cool thing is that you can also trim laps easily, pinch out bubbles in noses and tails and easily roll the laps flat instead of sanding them. We found this aspect particularly nice .... always hated sanding laps.

Like our other epoxies it is high solids, VOC free, low vapor, excellent carity and low toxicity. Uses Additive F and X-55 (if you'd actually want it faster).

Make no mistake ... this stuff is REAL DIFFERENT.

Although it's not been mentioned here until now, lots of boards have been built with it already, in fact it's been in FL since mid summer. We're not guessing about what this is or how it works, it's well tested.

So welcome to the future .... the first really new chemistry of the 21st century. Enjoy.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-29-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
it needs to be an hour for us folks that use a bag , i guess you can mix hardener 50/50 or something
Old    surfdad            11-29-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
The word on the street is that the Project 21 hardener won't work with this formula. I haven't heard if there will be different hardener's specific to this resin, offered. It's still an 1.25 hours at room temperature, maybe only use it on nice days :-)
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-02-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
i am going to get a 3 gal kit and try things out , bagging will not be a problem with the fall temps.
Old    surfdad            12-02-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
The 3 gal's is way more than I'd use, I was going to wait for the single board size. Would you do me a favor and post your impressions when you get the chance? I was intrigued by the laps comments - just pushing the laps down sounds killer.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-03-2009, 5:48 AM Reply   
SD ,
YOU CAN DO THAT WITH THE REGULAR STUFF , YOU JUST HAVE TO GET IT AT THE RIGHT TIME LIKE 1.5 TO 2.5 HOURS AFTER LAM.
Old    surfdad            12-03-2009, 6:05 AM Reply   
I wasn't clear, was I? They describe it as right after lam'ing. The resin sort of gel's like polyester. I like the concept that this epoxy has lots of working characteristics like polyester. Post up your impression when you work with it some, please.