Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (mook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-19-2005, 5:37 AM Reply   
I have a 2002 Malibu VLX and based on some posts here on WW, I have come to the decision that I need to replace the "flax packing" around my drive shaft to slow the leak.

Note: I have tryed to tighted the screws above the packing, but they tighten all the way down, and it still produces a steady leak when idling.

So, where do I buy some of this "flax" packing or flax rope? Do I need to go to my local dealer, or is there an easier, less expensive answer?

Also, how is it sold, in a spool, or in the length that I would need?

Thanks for all your help. I estimate that this site has saved me thousands on my boat over the past 6 months...

Mook
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2005, 6:36 AM Reply   
www.skidim.com

-gvb
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
Rob,
I have had to repack mine a couple times. You really do not need much. It's not very expensive and is available from most dealers. OIt does come in different diameters, so get as much info off your stuffing box, or your Malibu dealer should know what diameter to use. I think dealers carry rolls of it and cut off the length you will need.
It's an easy job to do yourself. The hardest part is just getting the old rope out of the stuffing box.
Good luck.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-19-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
i have the same problem and did some research it sounds like the gfo packing is worth the extra money. It makes a virtually drippless seal. I just ordered some.
Old     (mook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-20-2005, 4:42 AM Reply   
Thanks to all.

I ordered my GFO shaft packing yesterday from Discount Inboard Marine, and am looking forward to the challenge of getting the old rope out of the stuffing box this weekend. (Nice guy at D.I.M. who helped me out on shipping too)

Appreciate y'all for the help.

Mook
Old     (gvb)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
I did my packing for the first time this season, and it is a no brainer once you get in there.

I've never heard anyone say a bad word about DIM, specifically Vince. Always super helpful.

-gvb
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-20-2005, 3:43 PM Reply   
west marine has flax packing, not sure if its the right size/diameter/length...