Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-18-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
So, we were out at Lake Havasu last week, and hit our favorite little wakeboarding cove there on a weekday. I was happy to see that the only other boat to join us in the cove was another wakeboarding boat and that once they started up, they were doing what we always refer to as "running the wall" (same as us)... basically, we were both going back and forth along the glassier side of the cove, along the same line, to preserve the water. They weren't doing full-throttle "power-turns" to get their downed riders, which is good, but they were using alot more throttle than was needed, coming back nose high each time, even when no wake was in front of them, so they were making quite a bit more wake than they needed to.... but we were fine with this until all of a sudden we swing by them (at a safe distance of course) to find a boat load of people aggressively pointing and shouting for us to head to the other side of the cove. Apparently they thought it'd be a better idea to have 2 boats running on opposite sides, sending their rollers across the cove in a criss-cross pattern because it was a V-shaped cove, and because we had a rider up and they had one down, they figured we should be the ones to head over to the other side. Having noticed that they were a boat full of beginners, we took their advice and steered clear of them, figuring they weren't comfortable enough to run the same side with us, so why risk it...

My question is, should we have stopped and discussed it with them, and explained that we were trying to preserve the smooth water by running the same side, or did we make the right call? Do other people run the same side, or do you mostly stay clear, even at the expense of water quality? Personally, if I see another wakeboarding boat, I typically treat the situation differently than other types of boats.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
Why not talk? If you try to talk to people and they still are idiots then forget it. But alot of times you can talk to people and worrk stuff out for the better. I almost all the time will try suggest the best line to people if we are running in a close area. Alot of times they are all for getting the best water
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-18-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Some people just don't know how to pull a line. I have talked to people and informed them on the correct way to pull a line and it seemed like they appriciated the advice. When you get 2 wake boats together running different lines it is hard for anyone to get a good set in. One thing that could have been done is that you let them finish their set then you guys take a set and keep taking turns. But you may have to talk with them first and let them know your intentions or they may think your just trying to take their water.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-18-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
My opinion is its not worth the effort. I know its wrong, but its very likely that they would take offense if you decide to roll up out of the blue and school them on their driving skills. In my opinion - most of the time their position comes more out of saving face in front of their crew versus doing whats right or wrong - making it kinda obvious how its going to turn out. It should be as easy as rolling up and offering advice, but man I have seen some people flip OUT over this stuff. At the end of the day, as long as they are being safe... I know it can be frustrating if its the only time frame you can get on the water. Just be prepared to handle your cool in case they don't. Typically if they are new, they wont be in the area long anyway. Good luck man, just an opinion.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-18-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
actually, as soon as I hit the water myself, they left the cove and we never saw them again. I think my riding scared them off
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-18-2009, 2:40 PM Reply   
Tim, what did the boat look like?
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-18-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
I am still new and i try to learn a lot from the website, but I know when I get out on the water I don't do everything by the book. i would appreciate anyone who could come over and give me some advice...as long as they are not an a-hole about it. I want the same thing as everyone else, the best water possible
Old     (bwags500)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-18-2009, 4:35 PM Reply   
yo this one time i talked to a guy about running the roung side, he appriciated it so gave me and my boy a tow on his new malibu so talking pays off sometimes
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-18-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
We always talk to people on our lake, especially those that appear to be new boaters. If there are multiple boats in the same cove I usually like to ride with 1 rider up at a time, with the 2nd/3rd going up as soon as the 1st falls.

Everything usually works fine, until the jet-skis show up, lol.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-18-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
as long as you're not an ahole, I dont see why you would not say anything. if they are ignorant about boater etiquette, you can't expect them to change on their own.