Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-07-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
My guy and I are thinking of taking a road trip to Florida in late December for the sole purpose of wakeboarding (Chicago weather already has us going crazy!). We were going to haul our boat down there but we have decided not to since we would have to summerize, ride and then winterize again - plus we are not familiar with any of the water down there. So, after doing some research I found www.wakeboardorlando.com I called them and got the details but I am wondering if anyone on here has any personal experience with the place. Going to a 'real' wakeboard camp would be fun but we also want to save for a new boat so this set-up seemed like a reasonable place to spend four days. They have an Air Nautique Team Edition so the pull will be fun - coaching is optional and it will come to about thirty bucks for twenty minutes of ride time (they say the time stops when you fall). Please post if you have any first hand knowledge of the place. Thanks!

(Message edited by lizrd on November 07, 2003)
Old    benhanisch            11-07-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
Don't know much about them but I have been to the projects and it is a blast. www.theprojectspark.com You can either stay their or stay somewhere else and ride there during the day. Called them up and talk to Pat if it looks interesting to you.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-08-2003, 5:38 AM Reply   
Lake Ivanhoe is right off the the major interstate (I-4).
It's not very big and they also have people riding jetski's there as well . 15-20min away from all the major attractions.
Checkout this Camps/clinic site on the homepage.
It needs to be updated ( David....hint, hint...)
nothing personal about the projects, but it's out in the middle of no where.
But I know that there are several new camps/clinics opening all over Central FL :
http://www.theboardingschool.com/
http://www.ridethespot.net/
I just found this out
http://nickandjulz.com/villa/ which is also :http://mikesplace99.com/.
This is up the road from OWC if you want to try Cable riding. http://www.orlandowatersports.com/

(Message edited by phantom5815 on November 08, 2003)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-08-2003, 7:03 AM Reply   
depending on what dates you are down this way, if you are driving i could hook you up with a pull near gainesville. and I can pretty much guarantee we will have the lake to ourselves!

I'll actually be up in chicago in late dec, but I'll be back down here just after xmas.
Old     (lemytry)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-30-2003, 6:16 PM Reply   
anybody have information on orlando watersports complex like personel experince

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       11-30-2003, 7:06 PM Reply   
I've been there a few times and it's a blast. The people are great and there is nothing better than hitting the sliders with a bunch of friends trying to outdo one another!
Old     (lemytry)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-01-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
hey wakeworld did u say uve been to orlando watersports complex? if so did u have to bring yur own board and do u ride cables or behind a boat
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-01-2003, 4:38 PM Reply   
I just went to the cable park. I brought a thrasher board because you will work it on the sliders. It's also nice to have something with built-in channels or fins because they make you take off any bolt-on fins. I normally only get to ride behind a boat with no sliders or hits, so I grab the opportunity whenever I'm in Orlando.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-02-2003, 9:03 AM Reply   
Lizrd, just saying you could post in the find a third section if you want an extra ride. I'm sure the camp is good, it has to be with all the competion there. But its not very hard to find a ride, you can't swing a dead cat in Orlando without hitting a wakeboarder.
OWC is a Blast aswell, you have to go there.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-02-2003, 9:51 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the great advice and Tim, thanks for the offer of a pull. In reality our trip has been postponed - I'm going to spend those days working on my dissertation instead. Writing won't be nearly as much fun as riding but hopefully when I get my doctorate I'll be making enough cash to have all of the fun I want! We will get to Orlando yet, but later rather than sooner.
Old     (rodeo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2003, 5:07 PM Reply   
Kristian
"swing a dead cat"! I thought I'd heard 'em all. I live in hickville and have used most of them myself, but never heard that one.(HA!HA!)
Old    blind5            12-02-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
zach-peformance has a shop at the OWC and demos boards, any hyperlite boards and boots that you want. for sliders they demo priemers. if you ever get the chance to cable ride do it. cable riding will teach you more about wakeboarding than you think.