Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    nwwakerider            04-22-2013, 8:21 PM Reply   
I am getting married and we agreed to write my own vows. I am not very creative and have been struggling to come up with something. Everything online is really generic or talks about God (nothing against it, we just aren't religious). Anyone have experience with this? We agreed on 3-5 sentences, so its not super long. Anyone have any ideas that I can work off of? Funny and serious stuff is fine.

Thanks
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-22-2013, 10:07 PM Reply   
Dude, these are YOUR wedding vows. Looking for ideas online is missing the point of writing your own vows. Just write from your heart, and thats all that matters.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-23-2013, 7:02 AM Reply   
I would work some asset division into the language for when you get divoriced.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-23-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
I'm with Paul, just be sure to let her know that you brought the boat into this marriage and you intend to take it, without battle, when you leave.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-23-2013, 12:25 PM Reply   
I wrote my own, probably 7 or 8 sentences. Talked about how she was my boat driver, snowboarding buddy, best friend blah blah blah. Practiced it on my best man several time right before the wedding and nailed every time. Then it was time to say in front of 100 people. I got about as far as I wrote above and forgot everything else. But my best man told me right before we went out that if forget what I'm suppose to say just (I LOVE YOU) and end it, so that's what I did. Just write about spending time with her and the little things that she does for you also how you can grow old together. Or how you can't wait to start this adventure with her.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-23-2013, 1:33 PM Reply   
If you can't come up with something to say about the woman you're about to marry, maybe you shouldn't be getting married....
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-23-2013, 1:48 PM Reply   
Asking for input from strangers on your wedding vows. Awesome.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-23-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
Just make sure it all rhymes.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-23-2013, 4:05 PM Reply   
You should make her a rap video

lmao
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-23-2013, 5:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakz77 View Post
you should make her a rap video

lmao
hahaha!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-23-2013, 8:19 PM Reply   
I customized mine. Had the pastor throw in the fact she had to agree to never ever support the sf niners or giants .. Never support our kids supporting them, never allow any gear in our house, etc etc. my family was super pumped, smiling ear to ear......Her families jaws were on the ground. She loved it and mentioned she wasn't surprised at all and kinda figured it was coming since I hate those teams ALMOST as much as I love her.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-24-2013, 4:07 PM Reply   
Prenup! No alimony, 50/50 asset division and child custody. Just speaking from experience!
Old    nwwakerider            04-24-2013, 8:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
Asking for input from strangers on your wedding vows. Awesome.
Only asking for suggestions/tips. Wasn't asking anyone to write the whole thing by any means. I'm not creative and have struggled with writers block since I was a kid. So lay off.....
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-25-2013, 6:59 AM Reply   
Nothing wrong with asking for help. IMO...shows you care b/c you want it to be great. Not everyone is born with creativity.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-25-2013, 8:22 AM Reply   
No alimony, 50/50 asset division and custody... damn Trace, that's quite a request!
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-25-2013, 8:27 AM Reply   
I'll try & help. Writing is easiest and best when it is nearly the same as what you would just say verbally. So, without thinking about writing anything, just think of what you would tell her to her face. Be brave & just tell her. What do you love about her? How do you feel when she's around you? What funny things does she do that make you smile or laugh? What do you admire about her? What does she do for you that you most appreciate? What do you remember most about when you first met? Or, what memory of you two stood out, what happened and why?

Answer some/each of those questions. Turn them into sentences. Re-arrange them in any order that suits you. Write it down, fold it up, put it in your pocket and pull it out and read it when it's your turn for vows.

Forget about what you think you "should" be doing or what anybody else did (who's vows you may have heard). Just write her a note from you and read it. She'll love it because it will be from you, it will be about the two of you and it will be about what you think, remember and how you feel.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-28-2013, 6:20 PM Reply   
I know, right?? Imagine that, a husband / father having equal rights!
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       04-28-2013, 9:49 PM Reply   
Heck yeah Trace!!! your post made my year. I was just thinking the same thing for wife number two. I kept my boat first time around. I told the first one.....try to pull my boat with a minivan you cheatin' *%^$h. Next time everything will be in writing. This is a new age we live in.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-29-2013, 7:00 AM Reply   
Doesn't matter what you say ,,, put it on this and she'll cry a River ,SEEN IT
http://www.moosesurfboards.com/WEDDINGSKEEPSAKE-S.html
Attached Images

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-29-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
Its true. I made a plywood heart and hot glued some shells and other $#!T on it. Even went to Kinkos and laminated a picture and poem I found on the interwebz. Rivers were cried. Literally helped the worlds water supply issue.

To the OP, don't think about this as something that you have to write. This should be something that runs through your head every day. Tell her what you feel, make it from the heart, include an inside joke and have fun.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-30-2013, 12:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan View Post
Its true. I made a plywood heart and hot glued some shells and other $#!T on it. Even went to Kinkos and laminated a picture and poem I found on the interwebz. Rivers were cried. Literally helped the worlds water supply issue.
Post of the century. Hands down.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-30-2013, 12:40 PM Reply   
good advice and all above, but seems to focus on why you love her and what's so great about your match. Could be just me, but the vow's are not about that. They are about what you are committing yourself to do to ensure this marriage will be the best thing in the world for her. just my $.02. Toasts, speeches, etc seem like better times to say all the great things about her and how your best friend and what not, but what are you promising her? what are you vowing to do?