Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-16-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
Okay, Dad & I took his new Crownline out on Saturday morning. All was going well. Evidently we made a wrong turn coming out of a cove & we needed to cut through some trees to get back to the main channel. Thought we would be fine as long as we were going slow... WRONG!!! There was a tree under the water that we hit on the prop doing about 5 - 8 mph. Now the prop won't spin. No visible damage, What broke??? Mercruiser Serial No. OW492382.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-16-2006, 8:21 PM Reply   
On I/O's, especially the new ones, the shaft the prop is connected to, is supposed to break loose for this exact reason. You can go to your local dealer (not necessarily the one you purchased your boat from, just a dealer that works on Mercruiser engines). Make sure you take the SN with you, and tell them the problem. They should have a replacement handy. I have found that all the places around here have the parts for the same price as Mercruisers website. I have found some things at certain sites cheaper, but then you have to pay for shipping, and then wait.

Anyway your dealer should be able to get you the part. Should be easy to replace.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-16-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
..... So how did you get back? Paddle? Tow? just wondering. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2006, 3:59 AM Reply   
We were about 2 miles away from the loading dock & after waving to 3 different fishermen, 1 of them finally figured out that we needed help & weren't just being friendly. They towed us in w/ their little 90 HP boat. We were soooo fortunate to have someone stop & help because it was a bit of a swim to the shore & then probably 3 or 4 miles of walking around the shoreline to get to the marina. When we tried to give them some money, he said he didn't want it. Last year he was on a sailboat that capsized in a thunderstorm & he didn't have a life jacket. Sounded like he was much worse off than we were. Somebody did the same thing for him so he was just passing on the favor.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2006, 4:00 AM Reply   
Is it fairly easy to change, or at least something that I could figure out w/ some guidance?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-17-2006, 6:03 AM Reply   
Jory,
I'm not sure exactly how I/O's are set up. I've never heard of the prop not spinning. My only advice is to use a prop puller and wear leather gloves. I cut my hand open pulling a prop once, and I knew I should have been wearing gloves, Good Luck.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Jory,
Check this out. Just a troubleshooting step. ... may help.
http://sterndrive.com/board/show_subtopic.cfm?ID=4173&TopicID=42
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Got it fixed under warranty. The dealer said that even though there was a small nick in the prop, we clearly didn't hit anything hard enough to cause what happened - a sleeve on the shaft stripped out, I guess?. I guess it didn't take very long to change because they called an hour later to say it was ready.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-17-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Oh, forgot to thank everyone for the help!