Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-30-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
A little over a month ago i bought a 1985 Ski Supreme Sierra Supreme. The boat was cheap and i knew that it would need work. i thought i would keep you guys updated on my progress with pictures. Also feel free to give suggestions as i have never tackled something like this before.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-30-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
was that first picture taken through a window screen?

Just checking!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-30-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
The first thing that i did was strip the entire interior out. The floor was completely soft so i began tearing out as much of the floor as possible. To my surprise the stringers were in pretty good shape with the exception of an area about 2 feet forward from the engine on the drivers side. After surveying the damage, My father and i decided it would be much easier to do the flooring and stringer repair with the top deck off. So we removed the rubber bumper and began drilling out the rivets. Once we got the rub rail off we found even more rivets attaching the hull and top deck. As you can see it looks like the deck had been removed before. We found at least 5 different types of rivets, and holes all over the place. Once we get the two halves seperated we plan on filling all the holes and fiberglassing, then we plan on drilling new holes to reattach the pieces together.Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

(Message edited by ldr on May 30, 2006)
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Awesome. You did a whole hell of alot of work. Can't wait to see the progress pictures and how it turns out :-)
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-30-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
Awesome! Definitely sounds like a fun project. Keep us up to date.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
That is going to cost a fortune. Could buy a new boat for that.....Good luck.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
wow sean, try not to motivate him too much.
Old     (jaybird)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
good luck man I did my 1986 21' Lavey craft that way it turned out KILLER LOTS of work though I will post you some picks some other day keep us informed
best advice I can give learn how to gelcoat its super simple anyone can do it if you can paint you can gelcoat
Jay
Old    toolman            05-31-2006, 4:31 AM Reply   
Looks like you have a lot of work in front of you. I would loose the hand rail on the bow, and the vent on the side, makes it look dated.
Good luck.
Old    toolman            05-31-2006, 4:33 AM Reply   
PS. Is that a teak deck in the bow area?
Looks like a killer place for subs and ballast.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-31-2006, 5:03 AM Reply   
Looks like you guys are doing it right. Good job! Just curious, why did you pick this particular boat knowing it would need all of this work? Was there something about this boat that was special to you?
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-31-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
First off i wanted an open bow because children are in my immediate future. There are very few mid eighties inboards that have the room that this thing has. I did look at the older supras and malibu sunsetters, but they were all considerably more expensive. Since i don't have a lot of money, I thought it would be fun to do a project boat with my Dad and Brother. I happened to find the boat on craigslist for less than what the trailer is worth and was able to pay cash. I like the idea that it didn't cost me much because then i have no problem ripping into it. I know that it will be a lot of work, and i don't expect it to be ready for this summer. I don't want to take short cuts, but i'm not expecting the boat to be perfect either. When all is said and done i hope to have a boat that is structurally sound and I can be proud of. I plan on outfitting it with Gator grip where the teak is on the fron and back of the deck. While the deck is off, I'm going to reinforce it for it's new lightning tower. I'm also planning on getting the marriage saver (Perfect Pass).

So if any of you have any comments or suggestions, Let me know.

David, I agree about the hand rail and vents. Eventually I'd like to get rid of them, but for now the deck stringer and floor are my biggest concern.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-31-2006, 7:43 AM Reply   
these are some pics of sierra's that i found when i was searching for info on this boat.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-31-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
I can see your point about not worrying about ripping into it because it's a fairly cheap boat. My rationale exactly. I've got a '78 Nauti that I do everything to. I love never having to worry about little bumps and scratches, because I figure I can always learn how to gel it, etc.

Keep us posted on your progress. I remember when you bought that boat. Keep the pics coming. Good luck.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       05-31-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
that last supreme is our boat, its an '86. Last summer we just finished replacing the floor. Needless to say it was not fun
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-31-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Mikeyt,

Do you have any pictures of before and after? I would really like to talk to you about your floor replacement project.
Old    toolman            05-31-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Bird great looking boat.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       05-31-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Garret, You are right. Like my Grandma has always said, if I don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Matthew, I apologize for the comment. Having a rough day since I just bought a new boat and it's a money pit just getting it on the water. Spent way more than I though. Just wanted to warn you....I love my boat though, and you will love yours, especially since you restored it yourself. I have done that with cars myself, and people always tried to talk me out of it but I never regretted it.

Good luck Matthew. I'm sure it will be beautiful.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-31-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
I think i'm going to call it my Pro sky X-Setter
Team edition.

Sean, no worries i have wondered the same thing. The good thing is that my family is pretty well connected and i can get most of the perepherils for cheap or free.
Old    alanp            05-31-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
matt have you ridden behind one of these boats before? just curious about the wake.
Old     (wesgardner)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-01-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
Hey Matt,

Nice project! Is that a 454? Spend some time on seating arrangement, seems there's plent y of room to do a cool layout incorporating a ballast system. Can't say whether the deck was previously removed or was that a factory "oops" If you want a strong joint there, use 3-M 5200 as your "caulk".

Good luck

Wes
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
Matt,

I ditto Wes's comments. I drove older boats for years and re-did the interior to stock in one of them. I regretted that. I wish I would have designed the interior to be much more like the modern ski boats with wrap around seating. You may even be able to build a rear facing seat into the engine housing. Or a half seat that doubles as a foot rest for the rear seat passengers.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-01-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Craig the engine housing already has a rear facing seat. I also plan on building an observer seat instead of putting back in a pedestal seat on the passenger side. I want the rear seat to be completely removable because i want to have the option of putting in a fat seat when i want.
Old     (cwbrider16)      Join Date: May 2004       06-01-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Matthew, unfortunately any pictures we had of the floor project are gone because the computer crashed, but i am willing to help you out as much as possible.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-01-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
I'll email you and maybe we can talk.
Any input you have on the project will be greatly appreciated.
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
looks like a good project. spent 6 hours yesterday buffing and waxing our 89 Larson back to a decent looking finish and getting a new starter tommorow and I'll be ready to go later this weekend. went last weekend on my friends boat and had to get mine done :-)
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-03-2006, 5:32 AM Reply   
you should really get crazy and make it a v drive, it would not be that hard i mean your taking the whole friggin boat apart whats a little bit of more work
Old    mdoster4            06-03-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
you know what would be sweet, if you built your own wrap around seats with storage under to put fat sacs and other stuff in!
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-04-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
I think you are inline for Squid's help after me....LOL....I have the motor out of my 86 2001 and am thinking sell or keep.....But man it seems like alot of work......But on the other hand it is(was) paid for.....LOL Good Luck